The Other Nottingham Analogue Experience

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Uncle Ants, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Just got back from my visit to Nottingham Analogue Studio's little factory over in Underwood, just outside Nottingham. Took my new (second hand) Spacedeck for a once over just to be sure everything was right with it.

What an interesting visit - You wouldn't really know its there - a big old house with a skip full of swarf outside - inside its positively Dickensian in the nicest possible way. Met Tom Fletcher - lovely bloke and happy just to chat.

No problems with the deck but I didn't think there was and just wanted to be sure - plus I was nosy and its only 15 minutes away. Record deck heaven though - they've got some really interesting stuff (anyone fancy a gold Horizon or a red white and blue Spacedeck or what appeared to be an Annalog plinth being used as a footrest under one of the engineers benches or the mother of all platters that looked even bigger than the Annalog or Dais platters - something in the pipeline mebbe?)

Got chatting about upgrades and they suggested I upgrade the pivot in my old Spacearm - they claim it surprised even them the improvement it makes - and for £70 fitted I took a flyer and am having it done. Collect next week.

It was a real delight. I also asked the question about the big blue plinth - official answer - it isn't really needed so long as you site it somewhere sensible, as suspected. They only really added it for the Far East Market which likes their decks CHUNKY apparently (and presumably blue tinged).

A thoroughly enjoyable visit - I now have a bit of a warm rosy glow :)

Uncle Ants, Dec 3, 2004
  2. Uncle Ants

SCIDB Moderator

He has a £17000 turntable which made an appearance at the Healthrow Show. That had a huge platter.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Dec 3, 2004
  3. Uncle Ants

Lord .

I must second that, I have not had the pleasure of meeting Tom but have spoken with him a few times about my (also) 2nd hand NAS deck and he has always been very helpful and free with his advice and suggestions.
    He has sent me oil, belt and platter lifting screws just charging a nominal amount, and even advised me against spending some more money with him! He is truly a top bloke and I just hope that his old fashioned notions of business never get taken advantage of.

:)

Lord, Dec 4, 2004
Ask a Question