The placebo effect and cables

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zanash, Dec 14, 2007.

1. zanash

zanash

We often see mentioned in any number of cable discussions the possible effect of this.

Its interesting to see that the placebo proposers totally fail to mention the Nocebo effect ....I contend that this is what could be happening when they listen to different cables ...and hear no differences between there freebie and the exotics.

further suggested reading on the subject includes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A2709-2002Apr29
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocebo

this one is good as it talks about the negative expectations
    http://medical.merriam-webster.com/medical/nocebo

http://skepdic.com/nocebo.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2007
    zanash, Dec 14, 2007
  2. zanash

freefallrob

I guess the cable topic will go on for as long as cables exist. Wires are a pain really aren't they? They get in the way, get tangled up, look ugly, cost to much or not enough......sound different possibly ( even if we only think they do ).

I say we all go wireless, but then there's the quality of the air the signal passes through etc......it's just a mine field ain't it !

freefallrob, Dec 14, 2007
  3. zanash

Robbo

I see you couldnt resist getting another dig in :rolleyes:

Robbo (not a cable sceptic but sick of the whole topic)

Robbo, Dec 14, 2007
  4. zanash

unclepuncle

Is this all really necessary- tis the season of goodwill to all men after all:D

unclepuncle, Dec 14, 2007
  5. zanash

lordsummit moderate mod

Zanash you were warned yesterday:
    http://www.zerogain.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224756&postcount=74
    You've started yet another pointless thread, and couldn't resist including yet another negative insult to other members. Are you going to moderate your post yourself or do I have to do it? If I have to do it I'll ban you as well.

lordsummit, Dec 14, 2007
  6. zanash

Shiner

I agree completely about the little dig, but I dont agree about this being a pointless thread.
    In fact the whole brain / Ear interface is the crux of the whole hifi debate on all components, not just cables and things labled "woo"

Shiner, Dec 14, 2007
  7. zanash

julian2002 Muper Soderator

face it in most of the places we live in - out houses, flats, bedrooms, cardboard boxes, spending anything more than a grand or 2 on hi-fi is pointless - room effects, neighbors, children, s/o's, etc all mean that totally accurate reproduction of what you'd hear in a live performance is utterly impossible.
    the arguments, back biting, name calling and vehment and combatitve justification that goes on here on both sides of the fence is utterly laughable. ha ha i laugh in your general direction.

julian2002, Dec 14, 2007
  8. zanash

enbee23

I agree, the original post is valid and potentially very interesting.

Yes, personal digs are lamentable but the OP is far from the worst offender on ZG. I would expect that if zanash is banned for this offence, several other members would also be despatched forthwith.

enbee23, Dec 14, 2007
  9. zanash

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

I consider it an honour to be called a sceptic, even if it wasn't aimed personally at me. In fact, I listen to sceptic podcasts regularly ;) I do science too!

SteveC, Dec 14, 2007
  10. zanash

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

great! another cable thread.

I vote for combining them into one giant, stinking, smelly old turd of a thread.

Perhaps under a ''bollocks'' section of the forum...!

:D

bottleneck, Dec 14, 2007
  11. zanash

la toilette Downright stupid

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I'm so SO bored of all these cable threads, Gah! It's non stop!

la toilette, Dec 14, 2007
  12. zanash

DavidF

ftr...

totally.

:D

DavidF, Dec 14, 2007
  13. zanash

ADPully

There is value here - and to the cable threads in general.
    I am moderating my beliefs - I can cope with snide comments.

Like many other I am open to ideas that might help explain why some people (including me) think cables sound different.

Andy

ADPully, Dec 15, 2007
  14. zanash

titian

Placebo effect and autosuggestion you have everywhere not only with cables.

There are people that suddenly hear different mostly because they know what components are playing.
    Others believe that the sound is terrible because they see no acoustic room treatment. When you tell them that the walls have good acoustic plaster then they slowly start to change their mind.
    Others hear good or bad sound according to the technical specifications or what unreliable information they get, which could strengthen their believe in something.

Well guys sit down and enjoy listen to music. Make friends with people who don't see thing in your own way. They are also lovely people when you get to know them. And enjoy life.

Happy Christmas and happy new year.

titian, Dec 15, 2007
  15. zanash

Neil

"Make friends with people who don't see thing in your own way. They are also lovely people when you get to know them. And enjoy life."

Titian - one of the finest comments made on this forum, a sound view on the world in general. May I buy you a drink?

Neil, Dec 16, 2007
  16. zanash

Andy registered grazer

My sentiments exactly.

Andy, Dec 16, 2007
  17. zanash

zanash

I've edited to remove any possible miss understanding ...

this is totally relevant.....imo the placebo effect is mentioned in every cable thread as a proposed mechanism .....therefore the Nocebo is as valid and more to the point people should know of its existance.

If you think it of no value delete it ....

zanash, Dec 18, 2007
  18. zanash

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

So long as one interprets it correctly: it would be the perception that something is making the sound worse when it actually is doing nothing. This is not the same as the absence of an effect making things sound better. One example that springs to mind might be the claim that the presence of a digital watch in the listening room (presumably "because" of its little bleeper) makes things worse.

PS I should perhaps clarify: a nocebo conclusion would be when the subjects on some trials believe there is a digital watch in the room, say it sounds worse, then the experimenter finds on those trials it was actually a dummy watch.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2007
    SteveC, Dec 18, 2007
  19. zanash

LinearMan

All these cable debates are pointless, IMO. Everyone has their own opinion. Many try to 'prove' their opinion to be correct. It's like a bunch of adolescents all insistent that their own views are, of course, the correct ones; 'no, I'm right'; no I'm right', ad nauseam. Similar behaviour is also often observed in politicians.

ZG has become a mire of this child like behaviour and is in danger of becoming a bit of a laughing stock because of it. I, for one, visit less than I used to. To judge from the low activity, many others are also voting with their feet.

Let's just stick to commenting/advising on kit and related technical issues ~ there is much experience within the ZG community which would benefit all. 'Discussing' pieces of wire seriously detracts from this.

LinearMan, Dec 18, 2007
  20. zanash

DavidF

Agreed

Its all to easy to get sucked into pointless arguements...I think we all know the variety well enough now.

Sounds sensible.

DavidF, Dec 18, 2007
Ask a Question