The Poll To End it All

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Uncle Ants, Nov 9, 2005.

?

How fed up are you with cable discussions?

1. Yes ... boring, pointless, go round and round and contribute nothing.

38 vote(s)
    74.5%
  2. No, I love discussing cables. Every day I learn more about my favourite topic ... cables.

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. I use Wifi, me :)

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

The last week seems to have consisted of endless bickering about whether cables make a difference and other metaphysical questions. Its got the stage where I almost can't be bothered as there doesn't seem to be anything else hitting the forum anymore.

So a poll:

Do you think discussions about cables and whether they make a difference should be banned or at least have their own forum?

Uncle Ants, Nov 9, 2005
  2. Uncle Ants

MO! MOnkey`ead!

How about no, I don't think they should be banned, but that doesn't mean "I love discussing them".

I agree with you it's getting boring.

MO!, Nov 10, 2005
  3. Uncle Ants

Well I don't honestly think they should be banned ... but I am getting a little cheesed off by it all. I mean what's the bloody point? Is anyone learning anything by this? at all?

Uncle Ants, Nov 10, 2005
  4. Uncle Ants

shrink

sick of talking about them really. Ive had VDH, Kimber, Audioquest, Naim, QED, Nordost, Chord..... of varying silly price levels... what do i use now.

£2 a metre gale stuff from richer sounds... and it sounds perfect to me.

cant be arsed going through endless debate and testing to get a 2% increase in the sound quality of my system

shrink, Nov 10, 2005
  5. Uncle Ants

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Yep! But not really much that's cable related. MOre about human/net attitude. ;)

MO!, Nov 10, 2005
  6. Uncle Ants

Tenson Moderator

I haven’t bothered to read any of the threads on the
    Hi-Fi section of the forum for a few days now... so boring!

I have been listening to lots of music though.

Tenson, Nov 10, 2005
  7. Uncle Ants

zanash

The problem is people wth an agenda ....not cable discusion per say.

When some hubert hijacks your thread or try's to convince people of their contray opinion by basically bulling everyone else off the thread. Its not suprising it reverts to a slanging match.

Perhaps we could do as other forum do have a third section for the more controversial aspects of Hifi. Rather than the general forum where the naysayers leap on anything , that is often beyond their wit.

Alternatively ....why do we put up with forum members ...one or two in particular who just delight in *hit stirring. They normally have no alternative arguement, they just either castigate the person who may ask a simple question [normally because the asker need some information...shock] or Like the recent cable threads where one or two *ankers have taken the thread off in a completely different dirrection for there own ammusment.

Moan about the moderators, may be they could keep things more "on topic", and maybe create a new thread if it's an intresting side track. I would of course like to say I think the Moderators do a really hard job and on the whole get it right. When ever there is a dispute one party will always feel hard done by if the moderators side with the other party. This has to be accepted or if not the other party is free to leave.

My last point is ......is this a forum that allows all views on HiFi or do we want the Naysayers to convert it into a anally retentive naval contemplating rejector of new or off the wall ideas ?......I feel banning on aspect of the Hifi reproductive chain will be the first step on this road.

zanash, Nov 10, 2005
  8. Uncle Ants

griffo104

Shouldn't ban discussions about cables - after all what if someone really needed some help or advice.

But just recently it has got very boring.

griffo104, Nov 10, 2005
  9. Uncle Ants

greg Its a G thing

I think it's a subject that will come up now and again and when it does it often leads to some aggressive posting from certain faces. This doesnt mean everything in the threads was pointless and I dont see any big deal in a bit of argument every now and then - afterall we're all grown-ups arent we? It does surprise me sometimes when it becomes obvious the mods have been bombarded with moans from one party or another, all seems a bit babyish to me.

greg, Nov 10, 2005
  10. Uncle Ants

Joe

Are we?

Joe, Nov 10, 2005
  11. Uncle Ants

greg Its a G thing

Exactly my point Joe.

greg, Nov 10, 2005
  12. Uncle Ants

ditton happy old soul

... its enough (more than enough) to drive one to battery-powered integrated thingies, a cable-free world - unless there is then scope for diy of head/earphone cables.

I would like to understand more about several matters, but not at this price. makes a change from cartridges and tone arms and Mana stands and ...

ditton, Nov 10, 2005
  13. Uncle Ants

Sir Galahad Harmonia Mundi

IMO banning any subject other than what the AUP already appropriately provides for would be neither very democratic nor constructive.

It is up to us to identify a thread as pointless, fruitless, plain stupid (or simply outside our scope of interest) and decide not to take part.

Sir Galahad, Nov 10, 2005
  14. Uncle Ants

midlifecrisis Firm member

why not create a separate section within the forum for cable believers (a kind of 'reservation'...), with a protocol that that part of the forum is for positive debate, advice and comparison and not open to 'makes no difference' posts. given that there are two schools of thought and ne'er the twain shall meet, it seems unfair that those who do believe cannot seem to get any kind of advice / comparison thread going without the usual disruption.

midlifecrisis, Nov 10, 2005
  15. Uncle Ants

greg Its a G thing

Not a bad idea, though I get the distinct impression that most sceptics see it as their mission to save the inexperienced and impressionable from the evil of believing in cables. They may fear creating a protected area might lead poor individuals to make bad decisions if their guiding hand is stopped from providing this vital service.

greg, Nov 10, 2005
  16. Uncle Ants

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Yes, these things flare up, die down, come back again. It's like the Flu.

This time it started when someone simply dismissed a new magazine as useless as it carried a cable review, with, in short order others declared anyone who "believes" in cables as deluded and mentally incompetent. One may be forgiven for then suggesting counter arguments to that position.

I am not sure, but I think a strict interpretation would put a stop to that.

Just as I should not declare others as mentally incompetent or suggest a lack of manliness etc. because they own certain specific brands of equipment (and if I for arguments sake only did so with regards to all that own ATC, Naim and loads of Mana it actually would be a personal attack, even disguised as something more sweeping), surely for anyone to suugest a lack of mental competence because they hear differences in cables the poster believes not to exists would be of an equal nature and IMHO does constitute a "personal attack" under the AUP's, so all we need is a less selective enforcement.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 10, 2005
  17. Uncle Ants

mosfet

Guns don't kill people. Cables do.

I move for UN security council resolution 789 (1a) henceforth the word cable will at all times be substituted for the word cucumber in any discussion arriving thereon.

mosfet, Nov 10, 2005
  18. Uncle Ants

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Given that the number of the "all cables MUST and are according to my dictate required to sound the same" guys is much smaller, on evidence than the other, surely the reservation should be for them?

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 10, 2005
  19. Uncle Ants

This would be my favoured solution. Might also be used for any threads which descend into sceptic/believer, subjectivisy/objectivist trench warfare. The mods would have to keep on top of it though.

Maybe also post a sticky to explain where such threads can be found so that poor newbies in search of enlightenment :rolleyes: on such topics know where it can be found.

That'll leave us to discuss non controversial topics such as why the LP12 is over rated and whether or not Mana is bad for the environment ;) Ok ok - I was joking.

Uncle Ants, Nov 10, 2005
  20. Uncle Ants

The reservation would be for both of course. You would presumably be allowed out of the reservation to discuss things not related to whether there is a difference between cables or not ;) .

Thorsten the problem is not whether or not people take one side or the other on the issue but that recently its taken over the board, got really, REALLY boring and I suspect is putting people off reading and posting to this board.

Uncle Ants, Nov 10, 2005
Ask a Question