the problem with good hi-fi

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by wolf larson, Apr 11, 2007.

1. wolf larson

wolf larson

Is it just me of has anyone else experienced this:

Good hiffy makes music you may normally be ashamed to even be aware of sound so good you choose to play it over what you would normally like.

I used to consider myself a man of taste...until Sunday. I was round the mother-out-laws and found a brand spanking never been played copy of Chris Rea, The Road to Hell. Used to be a favourite of my dads played on the journey to Asda in the ford Sierra for the big shop. So for reasons of nostalgia, I slipped it on the lpt and haven't had it off since! The production is amazing, clearly mastered for dads with serious hiffy.

Has anyone else ever suffered from this an dare you admit the band and album? I'd like to know it's not just me!

wolf larson, Apr 11, 2007
  2. wolf larson

Stuar72

Holds hand up

Hi,

Yep you have a very good point there found myself borrowing Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler CD's and yes Chris Rea too ;)

Mark Knopfler - Local Hero

Stuar72, Apr 11, 2007
  3. wolf larson

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Right, where's me Dansette? Who wants to buy me Hiffy?

Uncle Ants, Apr 11, 2007
  4. wolf larson

Garmt

O.k. I admit... Gino Vanelli with Powerful People. And Children of Sanchez from Chuck Mangioni.

Garmt, Apr 11, 2007
  5. wolf larson

4WD

This is when you realise your a hifi nerd rather than a music lover. Step away from it for a while and regain some perspective :D

4WD, Apr 11, 2007
  6. wolf larson

dudywoxer Regaholic

Luck bugger lugs, I am probably as old as your dad, and did own a few Sierra's, AND, oh sod, quite like Chris Rea anyway.
    ________
    Harmed By Nexium

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, Apr 11, 2007
  7. wolf larson

Will The Lucky One

I know exactly what you mean about Chris Rea...some quite serious bass on some tracks, but minus infinity damage to whatever street cred you should possess should anyone hear you listening to it!

Personally everyone thinks I have bloody weird and often awful taste in music anyway (Smashing Pumpkins & The Pixies aren't for everyone I'll admit, nor is drum and bass) so I don't care :p :MILD:

Will, Apr 11, 2007
  8. wolf larson

wolf larson

Sorry about the silence, had a sudden urge to play 'Daytona' five times in succession (side 2, track 2). Dudywoxer - I apologise! It was the dad who got me into hiffy in the first place (Sugden A48mkII and Pioneer PL12D).

This has caused me to reconsider everything, I'm now considering bidding for a Jethro Tull album on ebay.

The speakers I own are resent acquisitions - Rega R3's and I'm sure it's these that have presented the depth and vocals of the album so well.

Bu there's nowt worse than nowing your dad was right all along about what was good music.

Perhaps a new thread should be started: dads' systems that got you into hiffy....

wolf larson, Apr 11, 2007
  9. wolf larson

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

dad systems:

some old Bang and Olufsen cabinet radio-gram,bought in the 60's with £200 he won on the Pools, from Windows in Newcastle, the retailer, not the draw he won with.

AM-LW-MW and FM! radio with a belt drive deck in the case,

presented in a lovely dovetail jointed solid teak cabinet about 50x50 x200cm it's a beast and weighs a ton.

solid state amps inside, with 2 12" bass drivers 2 4" mids and 2" tweeters, the frigging thing must kick out 200 watts+ as it's loud enough to hear over the road on the beach from my folks house with the windows shut. (they only live 50m from the sea).

i've looked for it several times in their archives and it isn't there, so i'm guessing it was a special order number, my old mans a cabinet maker so i guess he up-specced the case work.

it's all his fault..

sq225917, Apr 12, 2007
  10. wolf larson

dudywoxer Regaholic

It's always dads fault

dudywoxer, Apr 12, 2007
  11. wolf larson

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

bloody noisy youths coming in here and disturbing th zzzzzzzzzzz
    o yea
    listen son'y me lad some of us saw tull live (and shared a spliff or 2 with them before sound check ),back in my day i rember buying brothers in arms on that new fangled cd thingy,wot dya meen you dont need to turn it over half way through?As for mr rea's road to hell you aint heard nothing yet until you hear said track played through a rather large pa rig.As for them pixes i got em at the bottom of the garden,for some reason they keep breaking the squash's i grow for halloween

themadhippy, Apr 12, 2007
  12. wolf larson

JCL

FACT !

JCL, Apr 12, 2007
  13. wolf larson

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Its a fair cop, Human Leagues Dare has been in heavy rotation over the weekend. My brother said I needed something retro to play on the TT, and he recommended this. I have to say as a former music snob this is rather a guilty pleasure, it sounds great on vinyl - and yes, it totally trounces Belgian Hardcore Volume 27 that comes pounding through the walls from next door! - class! 4WD is right, its a perspective thing!

SMEagol, Apr 12, 2007
  14. wolf larson

...oh yeah, and Dire Straits Alchemy... whats happening to me?

I'm having an "Alan Attack"...

SMEagol, Apr 12, 2007
  15. wolf larson

la toilette Downright stupid

I happen to believe that having no street cred is something to be proud of, well, in Yeovil it is anyway. That is why I have no shame in playing crap old 70's records that sound great but are so anti-cool that they're verging on being.....well, cool. Sod everyone, play what you want. I put an old wombles album on that I remember as a kid and dance round the living room with my two littl'uns, ha ha. Of course, that one sounds shit as it's scratched to buggery.

la toilette, Apr 12, 2007
  16. wolf larson

hmmm... What about those reference albums?, do i really enjoy Famous Blue Raincoat by Jennifer Warnes, and Donald Fagens Nightfly, or Diana Krall or have I been covertly conditioned...

SMEagol, Apr 12, 2007
  17. wolf larson

thrudge

Yep, it's happened to me, although not with 'dad' music. I always looked on Kylie Minogue's music with lofty disdain. Then one of my mates insisted on playing some on my hi-fi. :yikes: It sounded GREAT. In fact, I'm probably going to go out and buy a 'Best of Kylie'. You, er....you won't tell anyone. Will you? I'm into death metal, as well, you know. Honest....

thrudge, Apr 12, 2007
  18. wolf larson

VinylLover

Good grief any more of these confessions & I will have to seriously consider giving up my membership of this fine forum.
    Just don't tell anybody about the Moody Blues LPs;)

VinylLover, Apr 12, 2007
  19. wolf larson

DavidF

'fraid so, iknow if I start "love over gold" I'll have to listen to it to the end. :rolleyes:

(sorry about that VinylLover)

DavidF, Apr 12, 2007
  20. wolf larson

melorib Lowrider

Chris Rea plays in Riga, on the radio and on satellite Baltic music channel, all day, sounds great, I didnt know him, too recent for me... ;)

My father had Leak amplifier, some tunner, Dual turntable, Grundig (I think) tape recorder and some huge speakers I have no idea witch brand, great sound, so many hours spent alone in the living room listening to music, instead of studying... :rolleyes:

melorib, Apr 12, 2007
Ask a Question