The Queen is dead, long live the Queen

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tom Alves, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Tom Alves

Tom Alves

This is just a quick opening shot. I went to hear the Seventh Veil speakers today. We had a good run at it and my initial findings are very favourable.

I will report more fully later when I've more time but suffice it to say that these are the fastest, most detailed speaker I've heard and will be a suitable upgrade to my wonderful SBLs.

I want a pair.

Tom Alves, Aug 12, 2003
  2. Tom Alves

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Good stuff Tom, But I thought Detail and Naim weren't exactly compatable :D So a Naim product stuffed eh ? what ever next :) Time to come and hear what a real system can do ;)
    Glad you liked em, I'm sure Steve is sighing too (of relief), can we expect a full run down and kit involved please Tom WM

wadia-miester, Aug 12, 2003
  3. Tom Alves

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Nonsense, I was always quietly confident :cough-cough: I never doubted for a moment :touch nose:

7_V, Aug 12, 2003
  4. Tom Alves

merlin

Glad to see that Tom was suitably impressed, hopefully others will follow.

I have to say though Steve, that having your product endorsed by an SBL user, is akin to having your Far Eastern tour operation endorsed by Gary Glitter round this neck of the woods;)

merlin, Aug 13, 2003
  5. Tom Alves

Tom Alves

I've posted my review in the review section like a good bunny. You won't like it those speakers have amazing flatearth qualities ;)

Tom Alves, Aug 13, 2003
  6. Tom Alves

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

And there was I thinking it was going to be a Smiths thread :)

Sorry - been milking "The queen is dead" album since a month or so ago, where I heard it for the VERY FIRST TIME! Pure class - indie done right...

domfjbrown, Aug 13, 2003
  7. Tom Alves

The Devil IHTFP

Hi Tom,

If a house move is imminent, would it be better to wait till afterwards before auditioning speakers? I would regard a home trial as mandatory.

There are loads of speakers out there better than SBLs, believe it or not.

I would recommend ATCs (but then I always do) or perhaps some Dynaudios. These are neutral monitors which will let you hear what your kit is actually doing.

The Devil, Aug 13, 2003
  8. Tom Alves

Tom Alves

I wasn't looking for new speakers apart from in that mythical "sometime in the future". Steven was generous enough to volunteer to dem them and transport me to his place and back so I seized the opportunity.

And yes I know there are several good speakers out there. It's just I'm addicted to what the SBLs do and haven't yet heard any that better by enough. Until I heard the Nonsuch. the over advantage is that they are modular sogiven a certain rom you can probably get a package that suits.

Perhaps if I'm ever passing through Hell I'll pop in and listen to ATCs but do I really want to hear what my kit is doing :p

Tom Alves, Aug 13, 2003
  9. Tom Alves

I do believe James, Tom along with Alex, is going to come and listen to a 'Interesting system' soon :) WM

wadia-miester, Aug 13, 2003
  10. Tom Alves

I've heard the ATCs and I like them, although I haven't yet heard the Dynaudios.

I would agree that in terms of in-room frequency response the ATC's can be considered neutral monitors (as can the Seventh Veils). However, it is worth mentioning that there is more to hearing 'what your kit is actually doing' than neutral frequency response.

Unless a speaker is extremely fast, it isn't capable of revealing all of the detail of a recording. Unless it's phase response is pretty damn perfect over the crossover range, it isn't capable of holding a rock-steady stereo image. Unless the bass driver has very similar sonic and dispersion characteristics to the tweeter over the crossover range, it isn't capable of true realism in the reproduction of voice.

In short, there's much more to our quest for 'truth' than a flat frequency response alone.

7_V, Aug 13, 2003
  11. Tom Alves

Oh Steve you done it now, move us away from the combat Zone Number 1 :D :chair:

wadia-miester, Aug 13, 2003
  12. Tom Alves

The Devil IHTFP

Hi 7_V,

Yes I'm sure your full-range* speakers are a revelation to those who have heard them, not including me. The ATC 100As on suitable supports are 'fast' enough for me. The music sounds astonishingly real. They were conceived to be as accurate as possible in reproducing acoustic instruments. If you've heard them, you'll know what I mean.

Tom, well I think you should try to get as close to the recording as possible.

*wi' a sub :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2003
    The Devil, Aug 14, 2003
  13. Tom Alves

Actually, I haven't heard the 100A, I've only heard older models. Actually, I'd like to listen to a pair as I've heard a lot of good things about them.

Do you find that they are very preamp critical? What do you use?

Steve
    PS: I could have mentioned that the ATCs can go louder than my babies and that dynamic is also part of the truth.

7_V, Aug 14, 2003
  14. Tom Alves

Tom Alves

So do I and as soon as I have the funds I will be seriously considering Steve's babies which appear to be very room friendly because of the moveable bass unit ;).

Tom Alves, Aug 14, 2003
  15. Tom Alves

The Devil IHTFP

ATC SCM 100A SL

I've only used them with a Naim NAC 52. Yes they are fairly good (!) at portraying dynamics.

They are brutally revealing. It is often possible to hear edits on studio material, for example; they show up the quality of a recording.

The Devil, Aug 14, 2003
  16. Tom Alves

Good speakers are revealing. If there's something in the recording that you can't hear, you've lost it.

7_V, Aug 14, 2003
  17. Tom Alves

The Devil IHTFP

True.

Of course you would be welcome if you are passing on your way North.

The Devil, Aug 14, 2003
  18. Tom Alves

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Well, thats one take on it of course.

From the roundist in me, Id say that ' good speakers are enjoyable. If what you hear detracts from that, you've lost it.'

:D ;) Chris

bottleneck, Aug 16, 2003
  19. Tom Alves

Tom Alves

So if your recording is bad then the speakers have to colour the sound to make it bearable?

Tom Alves, Aug 16, 2003
  20. Tom Alves

I'll put up a compromise position ...

Loudspeaker design is about the quest for truth AND beauty.

Corny but true.

7_V, Aug 16, 2003
Ask a Question