The Real Kick Out Of Sound...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nando, Nov 2, 2009.

1. nando

Purite Audio Purite Audio

It is true most studios these days are given speakers, and that the full range units are hardly used. the PMC's at Abbey road apparently are used to keep the doors open.
    Horn loaded compression drivers simply produce less distortion , but they do require space.
    I am hugely impresed you hear over 20khz though.

Purite Audio, Nov 3, 2009
  2. nando

robM

Well that's OK then as these days corruption rules! Anyway back when companies did not give things away (apart from B&W) ATC and Genelec were installing their monitors all around the world. The BBC bought many pairs of 50s and 100s. Fantasy use a mixture of ATC and smaller Dynaudio nearfields....etc etc etc.

Horn speakers 'may' produce less distortion -but obviously produce distortion of somekind, but then it's COMPLETELY different to what the engineers mixed on and therefore you'll never get close to what the engineers heard. I heard those big horns at Munich this year in the TW room and they sounded all 'nice and warm' but I didn't think for a millisecond they sounded better than my active ATC 150s. There was no 'slam' which you get with a snare drum, no real bass... yes there was lots of bass but it was pretty loose, flappy and 'horny'. I'll say it was clean but no cleaner than my ATCs.

The human hearing system on pure tones goes up to about 20Khz with some super humans up to 22khz and even 24khz, but that is pure tone. The harmonic content of a piano goes up to about 40Khz and many instruments produce harmonics up above that up to about 100khz. This 'content' adds to everything else in the spectrum to tell us what instrument is playing and even the manufacturer.

taken from Caltech research in 1997 by a friend/music aquaintance:

which is why vinyl stands a better chance at replay than CD.

robM, Nov 3, 2009
  3. nando

ATC's, Whest I can understand why you would want something to roll off the treble.

4. nando

robM

That went right over my head :confused:

But look if you like the slow, warm fluffy sound of those big horns, then that's cool ;) someone needs to :D

robM, Nov 3, 2009
  5. nando

I do admire the way ATC get the very best out of their components, their tweeter for example what does that cost £11.00? Yet with their implementation it sounds like at least £12.00's worth.

6. nando

nando nando

TANNOY DUAL CONCENTRICS is what we used during the 70's nice they were.
    nando.

nando, Nov 3, 2009
  7. nando

Legzr1

Click,click,click,crackle,skate,click,click,click...

That's 4 songs gone - time to get up and change side.

Click,click,click,crackle,skate,click,click,click...

God knows what people ever saw in CD.

:)

Legzr1, Nov 4, 2009
  8. nando

robM

You can tell you're in the trade - quoting ex-VAT prices ;)

I saw on the internet recently:
    'how to make Cessaro Horn speakers from a 1970's lamp shade and some old wood'.

robM, Nov 4, 2009
  9. nando

nando nando

quote,

nando, Nov 4, 2009
  10. nando

covkxw

I tried to live with some world renowned, low distortion/coloured horn speaker that had 21st century technology drivers, costing £19K. They were low distortion, but not low enough for my tastes. I now live with ATC 150 Anniversaries. Very happy:D

covkxw, Nov 4, 2009
  11. nando

Rob you must mean the famous ATC 'soil pipe' B&Q's finest that Atc use in their designs . Keith really what were they?
    Keith.

Purite Audio, Nov 4, 2009
  12. nando

D. Lundberg

Jitter is hardly ever a problem with modern equipment. And what's wrong with error correction? Is it preferable to have no correction at all (in the rare cases where it is needed) like on vinyl?
    And I don't see how those could in any way be seen on same scale as tracking/inner groove distortion, artefacts (wow, flutter, pops, clicks), horrible channel separation, poor SNR, and other serious problems with vinyl playback.

No, it is every tone (both fundamentals and overtones). And high frequency perception will get worse as you get older, so it's usually only small children who hear up to 20kHz.

It's true that many instruments produce high frequency content, but that content is mostly gone when the sound reaches your ears (where the rest of it will get filtered out).

Vinyl rarely contains anything (except noise) above 20kHz. And if a digital delay was used (as on the majority of records cut in the last 30 years) the signal is brick wall filtered as well.
    High frequency content is also lost every time you play the record.

There is very little evidence that you need content above 20kHz, and if you do there is only one format that can provide clean recording and reproduction of those frequencies: PCM with high sample rate.

D. Lundberg, Nov 4, 2009
  13. nando

robM

I love the way you use 'hardly'
    meaning that it is sometimes a problem and....
    what's right with filling in digits of missing information with non-musical digits?

meaning that it does sometimes.

I do like this one though....
    at what distance?

what is the whole point behind hi-rez then, if not to push the bandwidth boundary as well?

I think you'll find that manufacturers are trying to get away from PCM as it's pretty hopeless. DSD is so much better than PCM it's a joke.

Oh and you forgot to add vinyl to that last bit :D

robM, Nov 4, 2009
  14. nando

Legzr1

Vinyl had it's chance (up to the late 70's).

Things have moved on from dragging some rare jewel across a piece of plastic (of widely varying quality).

There is still a place for vinyl of course - just as there's still a place for steam-powered trains.

There's a reason steam power is a dead technology but strange men in long macs wearing fetching facial hair still enjoy them.

:D

Legzr1, Nov 4, 2009
  15. nando

robM

I like it....but CD also had it's chance and is now officially DEAD.
    Check out the official 2008 sales figures for CD..ha ha ha. Vinyl on the other hand is still alive and kicking and nicely thank you.
    Sales are on the up. More turntables are being sold (more than can be said for the silver disc), I like MANY find it really easy picking up new vinyl of new bands, and new vinyl of older bands. Most bands now will also press vinyl..... so there blows your theory! Whereas CD with it's crappy, limited 16 bit PCM, paint by numbers format is being taken over by a gaming console sound system :D:D:D

robM, Nov 4, 2009
  16. nando

Legzr1

Says who?

You?

:)

Physical album sales fell 20 percent to 362.6 million

From here :

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/01/2008-album-sales-plunged_n_154641.html

Yep - CD's are fooked :D

I heard that.

Sales are up 50% this year alone.

Quote :

"An old man came back three weeks later and bought ANOTHER album"

What theory?

:confused:

To be honest,I love the sound of that smack,cracle and pop but only doused in milk of a morning :MILD:

Vinyl is old-hat for a relatively minute market - i'm pleased they're still available but if you look hard enough i'm sure you can find parafin lamps too :D

Legzr1, Nov 4, 2009
  17. nando

nando nando

don't get wrong, my wife is getting mature, she is just like wine she gets better with time, i close my case,
    nando.

nando, Nov 4, 2009
  18. nando

Rob M do you make phono stages for a living perchance?

Purite Audio, Nov 4, 2009
  19. nando

nando nando

p.s so does vinyl, furthe more there is a big growing market for vinyl over in the u.k and japan spain , etc.
    nando.

nando, Nov 4, 2009
  20. nando

nando nando

must be the wrong milk,
    nando.

nando, Nov 4, 2009
Ask a Question