The Real Kick Out Of Sound...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nando, Nov 2, 2009.

1. nando

Purite Audio Purite Audio

I find the better vinyl and digital replay get the more like each other they sound, but to repeatedly state that digital is 'destroyed' by vinyl is just plain silly.
    ( unless you make phono stages of course )

Purite Audio, Nov 8, 2009
  2. nando

RobHolt Moderator

It doesn't, certainly not for many thousands of people. It might in your case for whatever reason. You really should learn to separate opinion from fact.

Rob,

I've owned among others:
    Various LP12s
    Michell Gyro
    Michell Orbe
    Roksan Xerxes
    Micro Seiki DDX1000
    Rega P9

Arms:

SME IV
    Linn Ittok & Ekos
    Syrinx PU3
    Rega RB1000

Enough cartridges to fill a book, but including models from Lyra, Supex, Dynavector, Ortofon.

So stop being silly - of course I've done the comparisons.

Ah, that'll be why there isn't a market for expensive and complex TT PSUs then. Presumably they are attempting to lower the noise floor.

Now can we discuss your liking for 16% THD?

RobHolt, Nov 8, 2009
  3. nando

RobHolt Moderator

Agreed.

RobHolt, Nov 8, 2009
  4. nando

nando nando

no one says i think that cd is being destroyed by vinyl, it is simply a preferance and very personal, like all hobbyes are wonderfull to enjoy, phono stages are easy to desing all the money goes onto R & D hence the cost,
    nando.

nando, Nov 8, 2009
  5. nando

lbr monkey boy

I tend towards vinyl replay myself and in my system I have consistently had the best results from vinyl. That's not to say that CD is rubbish though - I've had very good times spinning little silver discs too.

lbr, Nov 8, 2009
  6. nando

nando nando

I have only one thing to say about my vinyl that really pxxxs me of, and that is trying to find an album amongst so many,
    but once found bliss,
    nando.

nando, Nov 10, 2009
  7. nando

nando nando

has anybody tried to recrd vinyl via pc/ if so what was the audio result? i use now and always a tascam cdr, results are super but time consuming?
    nando.

nando, Nov 13, 2009
  8. nando

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Joseph,

I've done plenty of this -would you like some file links to download and listen to some tracks?

RobHolt, Nov 13, 2009
  9. nando

nando nando

yes please rob, as you know i have 5000 of the lovelly things, i would like to compare,
    thanks mr. holt,
    nando.

nando, Nov 13, 2009
  10. nando

RobHolt Moderator

11. nando

robM

well that was a good business trip...
    So, where are we?

I suppose this will/can never be solved and is pretty much like religion. It's what makes the world go round.

On a very different note...
    I've just finished listening to that last Elbow LP (yes vinyl), it 'n' arf good. :D

rob.

robM, Nov 13, 2009
  12. nando

Tenson Moderator

The last Elbow album I heard that everyone was raving about was covered with horrible compression.... suits some I guess.

Tenson, Nov 13, 2009
  13. nando

robM

What are you listening to, the music or the outboard gear?
    You want to take a listen to all of my Studio One, Greensleeves and Trojan stuff then ;) without the distortion it wouldn't sound the same...just ask Nando. You must understand that bands use distortion, compression and various other outboard and 'homemade' stuff to add to their 'sound'. If your system can resolve all of that then....great stuff.

It's rare for any band not to use some form of outboard whether it be a loop or running a digital stem through an analog tape at 7 1/2 ips using the 'wrong' tape then transferring it back to digital.
    It all forms part of the 'whole'. Bowie, early Elton John, the Eagles, 70's Doobie Bros, UK etc all used some weird techniques. They didn't just stick a mic into the desk and carefully placed it to get the most accurate sound from that instrument, but you listen to the LPs and they are fantastic with some great ideas to make their 'sound'. Same goes for modern bands such as Elbow, Black peas, Gomez, Feist etc.

robM, Nov 13, 2009
  14. nando

nando nando

now in a while i am leaving the t.v world of crap as i just finished eating i am going to put my cans on and listen to " BREAKFAST IN AMERICA" then simon lee perry and max romeo on vinyl, oh bliss,
    nando.

nando, Nov 13, 2009
  15. nando

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Rob the compression Tenson is talking about has nothing to do with a wah wah pedal.

Purite Audio, Nov 13, 2009
  16. nando

robM

Tenson

Obviously you can't get away from compression with recorded music BUT it is the amount and how it is applied that can spoil it. I personally don't mind as I just listen to the music because that is what it's all about. Without compression it would be impossible to control the 'level' volume of the music. Imagine 'Kind of Blue' playing in your room at full level with no compression or level limiting. You'd have full dynamic range and level of all instruments
    and only a volume control to control that. That's impossible enough. Now try doing the same thing with a band like Earth, Wind and Fire ;)

Compression is needed on all instruments including vocals.

robM, Nov 13, 2009
  17. nando

nando nando

almost all if not all of reggae music recorded in jamaica were mixed and put on tape to re-master on to vinyl using not only graphics but also third of an octave fhz to distort the instruments and outblow the natural reproduction of instruments used, still we enjoyed all of that,stoned or not, it was the vives,
    nando.

nando, Nov 13, 2009
  18. nando

robM

you tell 'em. can you imagine them recorded 'clean' in a audiophile way.... it just wouldn't be the same :D

robM, Nov 13, 2009
  19. nando

nando nando

for the record, the best direct recordings that we done as stereophile was CAT STEVENS,
    nando.

nando, Nov 13, 2009
  20. nando

Tenson Moderator

I've done a fair bit of recording so I understand the requirement for a compressor. Elbow still sounds like Coldplay to me!

Tenson, Nov 13, 2009
Ask a Question