The Specials-Ghost Town(Revisited)

Discussion in 'General Music' started by adam, Jul 9, 2004.

1. adam

adam

Does anyone have any info on the record? I was in the Uk when the original hit the No.1 spot for 3 weeks,I was lucky enough to get it on the rare and highly sort after 12" which featured Rico who has played the trombome in the Jueles Holland band.

It was later re-released in 1991,but I was in Spain for a good few years,and never knew how it progressed,so if anyone knows what number it reached.Also how many copies were released in the 12" format,as this would have been the last 2-tone record to appear in the format.

Thanxs for anyone who has info on the record.just these records are fetching big bucks at the moment.

adam, Jul 9, 2004
  2. adam

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Adam,

The 1991 version didn't make the charts as far as I can note. This was released to celebrate 10 years from the 1st release. Not sure how many copies were released but it dosen't have a big book price. It wasn't the last two tone record. That was an EP of the various two tone artists. This was on CHS TT31. It included the 1st singles from The Specials, Madness, The Beat & the Selector.

Having said that, some Two Tone records are going for some money and getting more interest. The paper label versions seem to go for more money. For example, a copy of the Special live ep, which got to No1, is currently at £33 on ebay. This has the picture sleeve & paper label. The paper label version of the Specials debut single is looking like it will be going for upwards of £8. I have both of these and more.

The Elvis Costello single that was never released on two tone is doing business on ebay. (currently £21).

There are plenty of overseas releases which are becoming collectable.

If you can, check out the current Record Collector (Aug 04). This has a Two tone special featuring 21 pages.

Also have a look on www.2-tone.info for more 2 tone stuff.

Today is the 25 birthday of the release of The Specials 1st single , Gangsters.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jul 28, 2004
  3. adam

joel Shaman of Signals

eeek. That ages me nicely. I remember the articles in NME...

joel, Jul 28, 2004
  4. adam

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I have made an bit of a mistake. The record was released with help of Rough trade a good few months before July. I think July 28 was when it entered the charts or when Chrysalis started to push the record. I will check on this.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jul 28, 2004
  5. adam

adam

Hi SCIDB,

I am totally stunned at the prices at what thoes 2-Tone singles are fetching,they are getting more than the really big names,I saw JB Allstars 7" Alphabet army, which flopped in 1985 go for £75,so I sold mine,its the same few guys bidding,if you have the 12" version of alphabet army,the auction doesn't go the distance,amazing!!

I paid £21 for Ghost town revisted,have the original 12" and 7",have most of the 2-Tone 7" inc Gangsters like you,some with Walt Jabsco some plain silver.Been some rumours on reforming aswell,Terry Hall had a very distint voice that was never recaptured by other vocalist.

Currently on the watch oput for Rico-that man is forward LP,so probably have to pay alot for that,and The Bodysnatchers-easy life,for around £10 for a single.Mind you I had to pay £28 for Madness one step beyond 12",exspensive hobby! .

BERNIE RHODES KNOWS;DON?T ARGUE!!

adam, Jul 28, 2004
  6. adam

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Yes the prices of some stuff has picked up. There are a few copies of the Bodysnatchers single on ebay. You may be able to pick them up for less than a £10. As for the Rico LP you might be able to get this new. It has been re released on the Reggae Retro label.

http://www.disque.co.uk/page.asp?pageCode=RRV

The downside is that it looks like it is deleted.

http://www.reggaeretro.co.uk/rrsale.htm :(

Rico has made & appeared on many records. Some of his earlier albums can go for decent money. Albums such as 'Man from Warreika' & 'Blow your horn'

Here is a piece on the great man. You may already know this info but here it is anyway.

http://www.jovemusic.cwc.net/Rico/

P.S. it was 25 years yesterday that the Specials first charted. Also it seems that the Specials will not be touring. But you never know.

http://www.thespecials.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2873

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jul 29, 2004
  7. adam

voodoo OdD

This months "Record Collector" has a feature about Two-Tone.

voodoo, Jul 29, 2004
  8. adam

RickyC

Dean

Are sure you're not mixing this up with Gangsters re the Rough Trade connection i.e. the 1st 5,000 were distributed by RT.

Rich

PS That 2 Tone feature in RC is a blinder by the way!

RickyC, Jul 29, 2004
  9. adam

adam

Can someone get me a copy and send to Spain please? I can pay with Paypal.

adam, Jul 29, 2004
  10. adam

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Rich,

I was refering to the original single & the the distrubution deal with Rough Trade, what you mentioned. It was later that they had a deal with Chrysalis records. July 28th was when the record entered the UK charts. Not sure if it enetered the charts with or without the help of Chrysalis.

I bought my copy, which was a paper labeled one, in the start of August when the single was in the bottom end of the top 75.

The Record Collector article is a good one.

Hi Adam,

I'll try and pick up a copy for you.

P.s. I have meet Tim Strickland, the original lead singer. He works up here in Sheffield.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jul 30, 2004
  11. adam

adam

Thanxs Dean,I'd really appreciate that,let me know the costs please.

adam, Jul 30, 2004
  12. adam

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Adam,

I still have a copy of the Record Collector tone tone special that I need to send you. Also next week, Q magazine is bringing out a two tone special as well. I can get you a copy of this & send the two mags out to you.

PM me your details and next week I'll work out a cost & send them to you.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Aug 21, 2004
  13. adam

johnhunt recidivist

i remember seeing the specials, the gogo's and the bodysnatchers at the pompey guildhall. fantasic show although the BS's were terrible and from where i was standing the stage invasion looked a bit scary. i think i've got a few original two tone singles - i'll dig them out

johnhunt, Aug 21, 2004
Ask a Question