The story so far

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by cyclonebri1, Jan 14, 2006.

1. cyclonebri1

cyclonebri1

Ok,
    So having made a few posts and asked a few questions over the last few weeks, I'd like to explain what I've done to my system and welcome any comments, good or bad, about my mods/logic. If I explain that previously I have not changed a single item for at least the last 12 years, all may become a little more relevant. As follows;

Amps,
    Meridian 101B, 104 tuner, 105 x 2 power amps. swapped for

Naim NAC 62, Hi Cap, NAP 250.

CD player,
    Rotel BC 365 or something similar,( the pop one from 20 years ago), swapped for Cyrus CD6.

Thorens TD160B mk11 with Rega RB300 with Goldring G1042 MM Cartridge, swapped for Logic DM101 plus mk1 Mission 774 pick up with G1042 cartridge.

Wilmslow audio HSM units updated with latest Scanspeak D2905/9500 tweeters with resized ports/length.

Now all this has happened within the last 4-5 weeks, and has happened 1 step at a time. This brings me to the reason for this post. I now find the system sounds absolutely fantastic. I won't try to describe the differences as these are relative to each individuals perception of the ideal, but :MILD: :MILD: :MILD: :MILD:
    Every single change has been for the better, and as a whole I have never heard anything at the sort of price I paid that can come close.
    Most stuff with the exception of the tweeters was bought 2nd hand, and I have sold all the old gear, (inc a previous pr Nytech amps), with the exception of the Rotel to fund the changes.

Total cost £511

Am I a happy bunny, the 1042 now sings and I probably won't change anything until something pops.

Thanks to all who have offered advice, Zanash in particular, and I promise not to bug you guys tooooo much in the future. :punk: :drum: :nigel: :elephant: :band:

cyclonebri1, Jan 14, 2006
  2. cyclonebri1

ditton happy old soul

is that £511 net?

ditton, Jan 15, 2006
  3. cyclonebri1

Commited

Must be - the NAP250 is going for mad money.

I've often wondered about the upgrade from the Meridians to the NAP250..
    We have the 101 & 105 monoblock setup downstairs - how much did you get for it, and how much did the NAC62/hi cap/NAP250 cost you?

Commited, Jan 15, 2006
  4. cyclonebri1

cyclonebri1

Yes thats net. The major bits were the Meridian set up was sold for £370, not bad considering I bought that for £250 over 10 years ago.

Nytech pre and power amp, made £75

Thorens 160 11 made about £85, hand made oak plinth though, but I made it so little cost

Regas arm £87 but I had pulled the wires off the lead.

Bought a Rega 3 to play around with for £50 got £85 for it

Got £27 for the guts of my old Mission 770 before I skipped the boxes.

On the cost side the Naim amps cost just £500

The Logic DM101 with the Mission 774 was £210

And the Cyrus 6 was £305 as new at 6 months old.

Tweeters cost me around £180

There were obviousely a few other little deals done but thats the big bits.

Bri.

The Meridian amp set up was mint incidentally, I put them on Ebay at £250 starters, wanting £350. I put in the add I would close early if sold elsewhere. 2 folks offered £350+

The Naim amps again were mint, the old chrome bumber type
    and were very cheap, but I had a little assistance with a family sale there :band:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2006
    cyclonebri1, Jan 15, 2006
Ask a Question