The Streets - Original Pirate Material

Discussion in 'General Music' started by michaelab, Jun 26, 2003.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Reviewed here. Following MO!'s suggestion of a post in the rec/review thread and a new thread for discussion.

So - one of my favourite albums of recent months. A surprise, since I'm not at all into the urban/hip-hop/garage scene and usually can't stand it - but this is different and genre busting. Highly recommended :D

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 26, 2003
  2. michaelab

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Top stuff michael! One of my fav's too!

Like say it's very easy to relate to. Much like I said with Arab Strap lyrics they're honest open personal and as such easy to relate to!

I'd agree with you on "stay positive" He get's it spot on saying how if you don't feel what he's saying, good luck, well done etc... But beware as one day you very well could!

Though I think the relatively low budget sound of the recording adds to it in so much as making it feel like just another one of "us" I'm really looking forward to future releases. If he can keep the raw freshness but up the quality of the programing then it could be even better! A tall order!!!

One thing though! He's (believe it or not) originaly from Birmingham! Much to the joy of M.C Pitman! I was in a club when I heard a tune i'd never heard before. There was a line:

"not like the streets who talks like a cockney, aren't you from birmingham you nob? Ya get me? We don't give a frig about your friggin ariel.So stick it up your arse with your pirate material! What street you from? Corontaion street? Shag Vera Duckworth on your day off?"

:D Heard a few of his other tracks since and he's got some very funny lyrics! Seems to have it in for everyone! Sounds like a northern version with MOre minimal beats. Don't take this as a reccomendation though. Not sure if it'll be your thing, but perhaps worth investigating!

MO!, Jun 26, 2003
  3. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Yeah - I knew he was originally from Brummie land, but his accent (thankfully!) doesn't have a trace of the West Midlands in it - it really is quite "London". I read a few reviews of OPM on US sites who didn't do their research well and reported that it's all spoken with a strong Birmingham accent :D Now that would be ****ing hilarious :lol:

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 26, 2003
  4. michaelab

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Like I said, MC Pitman!

He's done a song called "it take tea" which is quite similar to "it takes two to make a thing go right"

Very amusing!

MO!, Jun 26, 2003
  5. michaelab

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I think the reason its as popular, is because its more relevant to british life than most hip hop stuff, its music I can genuinely relate to, as can most people, as opposed to this predictable, repetitive yardie shite you get most of the time...

PBirkett, Jun 26, 2003
  6. michaelab

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Paul! You have a great way with words mate :D

MO!, Jun 27, 2003
  7. michaelab

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I'm with Paul on that Yardie Shite too...

How often have you heard of a mate AK'ing a load of "business" competitors?

Now, how often do your mates skin up, thrash their Vauxhall Novas like joyriders, and get lairy at the "shit in a tray" merchants after a night on the sauce?

Quite...

Just a shame the vocal delivery appeared to be all over the shop at Glasters' set - dunno what Skinny Boy was on but the timing was defo iffy...

domfjbrown, Jul 1, 2003
  8. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

"The Artful Dodger" which Skinner makes reference to in one of his songs (can't remember the exact line) has the distinction of having only made records I can't physically listen to without an overwhelming desire to anihiliate the source of the noise :inferno:

What do people actually like in mainstream garage?

Michael.

michaelab, Jul 1, 2003
  9. michaelab

MO! MOnkey`ead!

The artfull dodger is far from my cup of :latte: but his programing/production is pretty good! Not my thing at all though.

MO!, Jul 1, 2003
  10. michaelab

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Just heard the new single.

erm........ might be a grower, but bit of a dissapointment. Was hoping for something really great following Pirate material.

Haven't listened to Pirate material for a while either. It was great for a while, and everyone should hear it. But (similar to someone like eminem), it's the stories that are what appeals MOst about the tunes. And like with a book or a film, once you've heard them a few times, they lose some of their appeal. Saying that, I do still play it every now and then and enjoy it.

Infact, I think I'll put it on now :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2004
    MO!, Apr 27, 2004
  11. michaelab

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I'm with you on the Arab Strap comparison. Philophobia really knocked me sideways when I first heard it, I rate it as possibly the album of the 90s. Takes lyrical honesty into a whole new arena!

Tony.

TonyL, Apr 27, 2004
  12. michaelab

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I must admit, I not a big fan of the Streets. First came across him when i heard a white label of his first single. I got some of his single to play at some of my gigs to usually mixed effect from the crowds. I do own his last album & it dosen't do much for me. I think what puts me off is his vocal flow.

I did get his latest single in the post a few weeks ago. It's alright, comes across as more poppy. I would be interesting to hear his next album & to see how his career progresses.

I must admit Arab Strip is something I have not taken much notice of. May dig some out.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Apr 27, 2004
  13. michaelab

Yeah - I can see where MO's coming from on the "liking the stories" bits, but I still LOVE that album - particularly "Turn the page" as that uplifting strings sound is fantastic. Of course, that one that plays on the end of Human Traffic Remixed (what's it called, uh, oh yeah, "Weak become heroes" is damn cool as well, and that one about the jughead and the dopehead.

I actually ordered the new CD on spec from 101cd.com yesterday - am I likely to be totally stumped with the new one then? (If so, Morrissey and the re-issue of Buzzcocks' "Spiral Scratch"'ll make up for it!).

Gotta love the artwork for the new Moz album too - well cool!

domfjbrown, Apr 28, 2004
  14. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

That track is a classic! :D "Irony of it all" it's called. Can't listen to it without laughing out loud :lol:

Have been listening to the whole album again a few times recently and just confirming how much I like it. Funny what you said Dean about the vocal flow putting you off - it's one of the things I really like about it.

Haven't heard the new single though, looking forward to it.

Michael.

michaelab, Apr 28, 2004
  15. michaelab

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I heard the new track again last night. It's not utter pants, but still not as good as I'd hoped.

With what Dean said about the flow. Sometimes it works, other times it just sounds weak and like he aint got a clue.

I think GLC (Who skinner himself says make him look tame) are taking the huMOur side of it further.

Pirate material was great because it just described things honestly that many can relate to.

Here's the lyrics to the new track....

MO!, Apr 28, 2004
  16. michaelab

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Do it, start with Philophobia. The lyrics are amazing, check this link: http://www.arabstrap.co.uk/content/eng/lyrics.html# - not many albums start with the spoken phrase "It was the biggest cock you'd ever seen..." :eek:

Tony.

TonyL, Apr 28, 2004
  17. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Excellent lyrics MO! and true to his style - I can just imagine him "singing" them :)

Michael.

michaelab, Apr 28, 2004
  18. michaelab

MO! MOnkey`ead!

MO!, Apr 28, 2004
  19. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Just listened to the latest album ("a grand don't come for free") and I love it. Need to listen to it a few more times to say for sure how it compares with the first but definitely more of the same and more than a few tracks have already had me in fits of laughter :D

Cracking stuff - really sharp observations of human nature and continuing his very original style of...erm...would you call it hip hop?

Michael.

michaelab, May 24, 2004
  20. michaelab

"Fit but you know it" is great, as is "Empty cans"...

I've only heard it the once so far - didn't instantly jump out like the first album, and I think he *might* be aping his own vocal stylee a little bit, but I reckon this is going to be a staple listen.

In fact, it'll probably be one of the 20 CDs I'll leave unpacked, once I pack up all my hifi/av and music/video collections this Friday, for the impending housemove :( :) (ie, looking forward to moving, not looking forward to limitations on my music).

If anyone says "iPod", they die!

domfjbrown, May 25, 2004
Ask a Question