The system is finally there – thanks to Zerogain

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Matt F, May 18, 2005.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Listening last night it became clear that my system is finally complete, minor future tweaks notwithstanding.

The Kestrel 2s have loosened up and the Quad 99CD-P and BC eVo2 are doing their magic. What I now have is an incredibly open soundstage – wide and deep but with a wide listening window too – you don’t have to lock your head in one position.

Imaging is fine, detail is spot on, vocals reproduced quite beautifully and the lower frequencies are both deep but fast and accurate too. Basically, the whole musical picture is hanging together coherently with a slight warmth. It’s the old adage of listening through the system – I’ve often heard reviewers talking about speakers disappearing and thought it an exaggeration – the Kestrels genuinely do this now.

I’m listening to the music now, not the hifi – I actually listened to an entire CD last night and I’m a notorious track swapper – I’ll usually listen to maybe 8 tracks off 6 CDs. Last night, after a bit of this and that I gave Nora a spin (having not been that impressed with this debut album before) and it was just magical – the double bass, the piano reproduced as they should be with her lovely voice hanging in front of the mix. Okay so the generous glass of Laphroaig may have added to my appreciation of the music!

The point of the post however is to champion the folk and advice available of Zerogain. I started off with a surround system – a bloody good one which sounded pretty damn good in stereo but by comparison with what I have now it would sound sterile and digital. The change to stereo was partly a lifestyle choice (5.1 suspended until we have a house which can accommodate two separate systems) but I was fascinated to see what the £3.5K I sold the surround system for would by in the stereo world, with used gear as an option.

Without you guys, I’ve no idea what I would have ended up with – the usual suspect probably which would have delivered a very pleasant but probably an uninspiring sound.

As it was, someone (can’t remember who but many thanks) pointed me in the direction of the Quad 99CD-P as a fine player that would let me go straight into a power amp.

We all know whose been singing the praises of the other two components for a long time and he knows of my appreciation. I hadn’t even heard of these brands before Zerogain. It makes you wonder what other hidden gems there are hiding outside the vision of the mainstream publications.

So, there we have it – the system is complete and the journey is over – for now anyway.

Matt.

p.s. anyone looking for speakers at around the £1K mark or just over should investigate importing a new pair of Kestrel 2s from the US – I found it a surprisingly painless experience.

Matt F, May 18, 2005
  2. Matt F

mr cat Member of the month

thats good to hear - thats what it's all about having the best system you can get within your allocated budget!

mr cat, May 18, 2005
  3. Matt F

Lt Cdr Data om

nice to hear Matt, well done!! I still have a soft spot for the harbeths :)

Lt Cdr Data, May 18, 2005
  4. Matt F

Joe

Blimey! I almost always listen to CDs all the way through; maybe a legacy of vinyl days when skipping tracks meant getting up off my fat arse and moving the needle along.

Glad to hear your system is working for you. Mine is almost there; unfortunately I suspect the speakers are the limiting factor and finding replacements (once I can afford them) is likely to be troublesome in terms of identifying and auditioning alternatives. Plus I suspect major amounts of money might be needed to make a real difference. Serves me right for buying that BP amp I suppose!

Joe, May 18, 2005
  5. Matt F

penance Arrogant Cock

Nice one :)

penance, May 18, 2005
  6. Matt F

liamjf

Nice one Matt! We have similar systems now and I must say I spent a very pleasant daty off on Monday listening to many of my CDs - lots of things I haven't heard for ages and it all sounded fantastic - even Dark Side Of The Moon!
    Sit back and enjoy! (PS can't justify it yet but I can also see myself importing a pair of Kestrel 2/Ospreys at some point in the future!. Must resist... :D )

Liam.

liamjf, May 18, 2005
  7. Matt F

Lt Cdr Data om

all hail WM for introducing meadowlarks and bel canto

Lt Cdr Data, May 18, 2005
  8. Matt F

liamjf

:WMarrives :kneel:

liamjf, May 18, 2005
  9. Matt F

Matt F

I can give you the details of a Canadian dealer with a pair of as new (been out on demo) cherry Ospreys for sale. Price is $2850 (that's Canadian $) which he reckons is cost.

Come on - you know you want to ;)

Matt.

Matt F, May 18, 2005
  10. Matt F

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

The products have always been there, just some times things have a synergy and the B/C+ M/L seem to have a high one.
    I merely showed what they could do when brought together nothing more. :)

wadia-miester, May 18, 2005
  11. Matt F

rsand I can't feel my toes

Congrats, its a good feeling, I'm sure, but rarely happens. I am close myself just need a bit of front end tweekery just not sure what to do new cdp/modify/dac? Will be listening closely at thursdays bake off.

rsand, May 18, 2005
  12. Matt F

zanash

me....me.....[?]

I recommend the 99cdp, when ever it seems right in the context of price and asperation.

zanash, May 18, 2005
  13. Matt F

GAZZ

Where did you get the meadowlarks from Matt F

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2005
    GAZZ, May 18, 2005
  14. Matt F

Matt F

I just checked through some old posts and it was Robbo who recommended me the Quad 99CD-P.

It really is a fine player - to be honest, I could afford to go down the used Wadia route now (301 etc) but the Quad sounds so sweet I'm not changing.

Matt.

Matt F, May 18, 2005
  15. Matt F

Matt F

Upscale Audio in California. The transaction was very smooth and trouble-free.

FedEx were amazing - the dealer received the wired funds on the Thursday - I got a call from FedEx in the UK the following afternoon saying the speakers were in the UK and I needed to pay duty. They were delivered in perfect nick the following Tuesday morning (and the Monday was a Bank Holiday)!

So that's from the West Coast to the UK in barely 3 working days!

Matt.

Matt F, May 18, 2005
  16. Matt F

GAZZ

Well done Matt F, i wonder how long it will be before you want to improve again

GAZZ, May 18, 2005
  17. Matt F

GAZZ

By the time the extras are put on will they cost nearly the same.

GAZZ, May 18, 2005
  18. Matt F

rsand I can't feel my toes

I really want to listen to this player, selling the copland and the quad QC24 pre would take me pretty much to the cost of the 99cdp. Need to decide to do that or upgrade the copland and/or add a dac, its hard to say without hearing it and my local Seven Oaks dont have one for dem :confused:

Just found a screw in my tyre too :( both rears were just legal so will have to replace them both not cheap at £334

rsand, May 18, 2005
  19. Matt F

Robbo

Aww shucks :eek:

Glad you like it!

Robbo, May 18, 2005
  20. Matt F

Matt F

Not sure about that: $2850 CND = £1230 add £150 for delivery plus import tax £55 and VAT £250 and you're looking at around £1700.

US rrp for cherry Ospreys is/was $3895 and the UK rrp is usually pretty much the same (minus a touch) but with a £ sign in front instead of a $!!

In fact I have an email from Avid from a while back quoting me for a pair of cherry Swift speakers at £1300 when the US price was $1495. Apply the same calc to the Osprey rrp and £1700 starts to look pretty good.

Matt.

Matt F, May 18, 2005
Ask a Question