The Ultimate Corner

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by jimmymcf, Sep 15, 2011.

1. jimmymcf

jimmymcf

Having just recently moved all my kit around to fit a sofa and tv etc into the room where my hifi is I can't help but think that my IMF RSPM IV transmission line's do not sound the same any more. By this I mean they no longer sound the same as each other. One seems to be generating a lot more bass than the other. The more bass-heavy one is stuck in a corner, under a sloping ceiling. As far as I can see this is like the "ultimate-corner" as it has not only a wall next to it, but the ceiling just above it. Now it actually seems like the corner speaker is digging deeper and has a greater freq response than its non-corner mate on t'other side of the room in free space. Is this an illusion, am I just hearing more "boom" or is one speaker shagged. I can't understand how 1 of a pair of bass drivers that are exactly the same, and are both functioning without making any nasty noises etc to indicate a problem could go faulty in such a way that it's output is reduced but not adversly effected in any other way. is there any way to check this. I've played some test tones down them and all i can deduce is that the corner one makes my bowels feel like they are moving more than the non-corner one!!! what would measuring the impedance across the bass drivers tell me ie if i measured it and it was different. Can corners, esp the "ultimate-corner" that I'm describing here really have such a huge effect on the output of this type of loudspeaker.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

jimmymcf, Sep 15, 2011
  2. jimmymcf

RobHolt Moderator

Corners have a massive effect on loudspeakers, generally raising bass levels but also introducing peaks and nulls into the response and making things very uneven.

In your particular case, the transmission line IMF has extended bass and is designed for free field use.
    You really need to get the speakers away from walls and corners, but failing that you could try using some absorption, perhaps starting with the DIY solution as mentioned here - https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?t=28861

Failing that, (or in addition) you would need to apply some EQ in order achieve better balance.

RobHolt, Sep 15, 2011
  3. jimmymcf

jimmymcf

I knew corners induced boomy-ness and as I said this ain't just any old corner, as it's got the ceiling sloping down to a point about 4" above the top of the speaker at it's (the ceiling's) lowest point, so even more to contend with - I'm just amazed that sticking the speaker in the corner like I have - they're so bloody big these IMFs that it's not really a case of positioning them for ultimate sound quality, they kind of have to go where they can, unless I start throwing away furniture and I doubt that'll go down too well - can have such a HUGE effect on the bass output and freq. response (although I accept that the increased freq response is prob an illusion caused by the boom shake shake shake the roomy-ness thats going on on the right-hand side)

jimmymcf, Sep 16, 2011
  4. jimmymcf

Tenson Moderator

Yes, your ultimate corner is likely the problem. You can get double the level from it. Every boundary you add near the speaker, the sound then has to fill less space. For a bit of background on what is happening read here - https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?t=28076

In a case this strong, I'd go straight for EQ as my first line of defence. Have a read of this, a review of a now updated piece of kit the Behringer 8024 (replaced by DEQ2496) http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...8024+review+thorsten&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

There are other ways to do it too, look up Lyngdorf Room Perfect and if you want to use a computer source read this - https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?t=28871

Tenson, Sep 16, 2011
  5. jimmymcf

jimmymcf

I just so happen to have a couple of brand new unopened rolls of that stashed away in the loft so can give it a try. Gonna swap the speakers over to prove it still sounds boomy which ever speaker is used in the corner (that's gonna be a work-up in itself because of the size of the bloody things) then I'll start experimenting with the Rockwoll. Tah for the advice

jimmymcf, Sep 16, 2011
Ask a Question