The Upgrade Bug

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mikebh50, Oct 1, 2006.

1. mikebh50

mikebh50

Hi
    Just joined the forum and would like to know what sort of prices i would get for my old kit as the kids have grown up now so i think its time for a change i have a marantz CD63KI,HaflerDH101 Pre amp,HaflerDH200 Power Amp & Mission 752 in Rosewood any help would be great.

Mike

mikebh50, Oct 1, 2006
  2. mikebh50

Richard Dunn

Put them on ebay with a minimum that you want for them and let the market dictate. They (the public) will soon tell you if they are worth it.

Richard

Richard Dunn, Oct 1, 2006
  3. mikebh50

ditton happy old soul

welcome to the cohort that now can turn the volume up to levels we would not have tolerated, and our attention to indulging the wallet to things too quickly knocked off the list.

do you have particular upgrade thoughts?

ditton, Oct 1, 2006
  4. mikebh50

nando nando

i am sure that many of us can help you out in this forum, room size will help as gidence to suitable equipment, regards nando.

nando, Oct 1, 2006
  5. mikebh50

Effem Cable manufacturer

I wouldn't be too hasty in getting rid of the Hafler pre and power because you will have to spend quite a bit of moolah to beat them - I know because I had this pairing up until recently in the workshop. If anything, I would have them overhauled and updated with some new electrolytics and a sprinkling of Schottky diodes in the power supplies. The same could be done for the CD player, along with mods to the clock and the analogue stage.

My money would go on a pair of speakers that are better than the Missions. What your choice and budget would be I don't know, but I would look for a pair of speakers with more refinement.

Effem, Oct 1, 2006
  6. mikebh50

mikebh50

thanks for the info

Hi Effem thanks for the reply i will admit i do like the sound of the Hafler bur didn't relise they were still well regarded as to the mods where can i get these done and want sort of money are we talking.I have listerned to a pair of Acoustic Energy Elite 3s which did sound good but thats as far as i have got i do like a big sound and listen mainly middle of the road stuff (lots of 80s ).Quite in to the new Petshop boys album at the moment as i went to see them in July and have now started listening to all there old stuff again.like a bit of Jean Michel Jarre and also the odd bit of light classical.My room is 4.5 mtrs by 4 mtrs all the hifi TV etc is on a av rack with speaker either side and i sit dead center at other end of room.

mikebh50, Oct 1, 2006
  7. mikebh50

Effem Cable manufacturer

Your local TV repair shop should be able to fit a set of Schottky rectifier diodes at sensible cost and check the electrolytics out for you too. The diodes cost around £0.40p each maximum and the big reservoir capacitors around £5 to £8.00 each. Labour is aroun 1.5 hours maximum. Because they are working to begin with they shouldn't baulk at doing the job whereas a repair requires a circuit diagram.

Haflers are tough old cookies and very nearly unburstable with good clean sound which still can embarass many a modern design.

If you get no joy getting the job done locally then send me a PM

Effem, Oct 1, 2006
  8. mikebh50

mikebh50

ty

What would the Haflers be worth if i sold them?

mikebh50, Oct 1, 2006
  9. mikebh50

ditton happy old soul

see
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Hafler-DH-200-Power-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ300030963900QQcmdZViewItem

where it sold for US$152.50 (ie about £80), with the following blurb:

The DH-200 imaging is open and transparent, and brings you closer to the real sound of music. This absolutely sets it apart from virtually all the mass produced amps made today.* The reproduction of live recordings, both in the studio and concert hall, is unforced, life-like and natural.
    The DH-200 is unique in that, to my knowledge, it is one of the first American production amplifiers to use complementary MOSFETs in its output stage. Over the past several years much has been written about power FETs for audio. In the DH-200 these devices deliver beautiful music.
    David Hafler really knocked one out of the ballpark with the DH-200!

and its selling s/h
    http://www.audioscope.net/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=962

at E 599 (ie about £300)

but says

merican High End Power Amplifier with 100 + 100 Watts RMS into 8 Ohms. The sound is amazing, you would not expect it from this unit. (The optical condition is good with some wear. But nothing really bad. Technically perfect. It does not miss a beat!)

also
    http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1077737190&openusid&zzJw94055&4&5

ditton, Oct 1, 2006
  10. mikebh50

mikebh50

hafler

Thanks Ditton i think i will go down the mods route as i think the upgrade money may be better spent on speakers.The wife would luv me to get rid of the haflers and get some nice silver gear but sounds like i would have to spend quite a few pounds of the house keeping to get anything better sound wise.
    Mike

mikebh50, Oct 1, 2006
  11. mikebh50

ditton happy old soul

aahm the WAF - the wife approval factor ...

suggest that you place an advert in these classifieds that offers to swap hafler pre/power uglies for WAF-friendly combo of comparable SQ, or something to that effect.

;-)

ditton, Oct 1, 2006
  12. mikebh50

mikebh50

Waf

Yes that is another possibility but i think i will try the new speaker route first as they seem to have the biggest in pact on the room as my 752s are in Rosewood so will be looking for beech or something along those lines .Don't know if i should go for some second hand ones as i may get a better speaker for my money as the wife was not keen on £700 for a pair on elite3s i like the Missions and i see someone has a pair of 782s for sale on here but i do like to listen before i buy and they are about 80 miles away which is a long way if i don't like them.Does not seem to be many people selling good hifi in Norfolk or if they are i can't find them.
    Mike

mikebh50, Oct 2, 2006
  13. mikebh50

zanash

I'd go along with many of these posts ..its the speakers that are your weak link, if the cdp's in good working order it will be hard to beat and the amps are very good too. try the quad 12l 22l series for fine sound in a relatively cheap speaker.

zanash, Oct 3, 2006
  14. mikebh50

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, and the quads are 1/2 price now too -
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/search.doSearch.cfm?search=quad-bargains

mr cat, Oct 3, 2006
  15. mikebh50

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Quad's for £350 seems like a great price to me.

Ruark Talisman II's used come in £250-£300, and are my pick of the used market... when you can get them.

I don't know the Hafflers. It looks like decent stuff, but I haven't tried it.

Could you take them to a hifi shop and compare them with something else to see how they stack up?

NB
    I actually quite like Mission 752's. What's you main criticism of the sound you are getting, before you pay too much heed to reccomendations?

bottleneck, Oct 3, 2006
  16. mikebh50

mikebh50

Hi

Its not so much that i don't like thee missions but we have moved house and my wife would like some lighter finish speakers and not wanting to lose the chance to upgrade i have said ok.The main reason i had for moving was so that i could get my hifi set up in the ideal way ie all equipment on av rack speakers either side a listen position at other end of room in the perfect triangle.Just wanted to know if speakers have come far since i got the 752s.There is a pair of 782 for sale on here are they a good upgrade??.

Mike

mikebh50, Oct 3, 2006
Ask a Question