the vinyl solution

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by muffinman, Jul 13, 2005.

1. muffinman

muffinman

i am expecting the arrival of my nitty gritty record cleaner in the next few days. due to postage costs there is only a small bottle of fluid which will last for about 40 discs. does anyone have experience of suitable fluids, proffessional or homemade that they can recommend.

muffinman, Jul 13, 2005
  2. muffinman

Goomer

I use this DIY one with very satisfactory results:

http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html#recipe

Isopropyl and distilled water mix, with a tiny amount of photographic wetting agent. You can get extra pure water from larger pet stores apparently(it's used for tropical fish tanks), although I'm still using my original supply of distilled so haven't gotten around to trying this yet. Meant to be very cheap though, you just take along a suitably large sized cannister and they fill it up.

Have fun...

Goomer, Jul 13, 2005
  3. muffinman

T-bone Sanchez

Do a search on pink fish, you'll find plenty of recipies there, or just try goomers.

Any water your buy from a fish retailer will either be straight through a cannister filter or treated with a conditioner. The former is much better as it removes all the copper, lead, irons etc. However I wouldnt pay much for it! If you do buy some let me know how much. Ive 2000 gallon worth of perfect, highly filtered, UV treated, gas-exchanged water, Im more than happy to bottle some of that!!

T-bone Sanchez, Jul 13, 2005
  4. muffinman

Goomer

Whereabouts are you, T-bone? I might be interested in some of this if you're serious about selling.

400 already: where does the time go?

Goomer, Jul 13, 2005
  5. muffinman

T-bone Sanchez

Lancashire. I was joking but your more than welcome to try as much as you want I'll send a bottle. The UV is on the blink so Im replacing it over the wkend so it'll take a week or so to get back on track.

T-bone Sanchez, Jul 13, 2005
  6. muffinman

jtc

Record Research Labs (RRL) fluids

I have a VPI 16.5 and I used to use the VPI fluids and brush. However, when the fluid ran out and the brush got tatty I ordered the Disc Doctor brushes (2 of) and one bottle each of the Super Vinyl Wash and the Power Cleaner from RRL. Much, much better results than the VPI fluids - though I can't say whether that's due to the new brushes or fluids or (most likely) a combination of both.

I had to order mine in from the states, which put the price (to me) up - but it was worth it.

John

jtc, Jul 13, 2005
  7. muffinman

joel Shaman of Signals

joel, Jul 13, 2005
Ask a Question