the wedding is still on despite the fact.....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by chris1968, Mar 1, 2006.

1. chris1968

chris1968

.........the future Mrs1958 knocked one of my Quad 12l's off its stand last night......

this happened whilst i was at night school so the poor lass sat worried for 2 hrs thinking i'd hit the roof when i got home....(worrying as i really am not the 'hit the roof' type')

damage appears to be limited to chipped veneer on the base plinth:( and a dint in the wall where the top corner of the speaker fell against it - solid stuff those quads!

but hey-ho, two weeks on saturday 'whats mine will be ours, whats hers is will be mine' so we'll just have to get a new pair if signs of failure present themselves......:cool:

in the meantime i'll upgrade the stands - speakers are sat in the atacamma 'spikes' - you may be aware these dont actually bite into the speaker so shiny metal point on very shiny speaker base was possibly a recipe for an easy 'knock-off' - i'll put some sort of sticky interface between the 2 now....

chris1968, Mar 1, 2006
  2. chris1968

lordsummit moderate mod

Blue tack kept my standmounters safe from Spaniel attack until I invested in the Meadowlarks

lordsummit, Mar 1, 2006
  3. chris1968

Sid and Coke

Been there, done that, Blu-Tac for ever for me.

Had a similar converstaion with 'er indoors about an hour ago. She asked my if she should turn th record over that we where both listening to ( Deacon Blue - Raintown, btw ) . I re-pointed out to her that of all our possesions the record player is the only thing that is exclusively mine and for my clumsy fingers only....

Sid and Coke, Mar 1, 2006
  4. chris1968

chris1968

blue tac - how could i forget that true hi-fi stalwart - sure i have some in a drawer somewhere.......hope its audio grade stuff!

forgot to mention - she also tried to blow the speakers on Saturday - pure accident though - she put something on top of the AMP remote which switched channels (cdp is normally off) so it had a signal to play with whilst simoultaneously pressing on the volume up button - i did not realise the display on the primare counted quite so high.........:eek:

chris1968, Mar 1, 2006
  5. chris1968

auric FOSS

Go all the way to nubmer 11 did it?

auric, Mar 1, 2006
  6. chris1968

rodrat

My wife once turned the volumn dial on my pre amp. Unfortunately, what she thought was the pre amp was the hi-cap and the knob was broken. This was 15 years ago. She now will not touch any of my hi-fi.

Rod

rodrat, Mar 1, 2006
  7. chris1968

badchamp Thermionic Member

Fairly shortly after we got together my GF turned one of the power amps on and in rather dramatic fashion from what I gather (loud bang and cloud of smoke) it blew a capacitor. Rather sadly she spent the whole afternoon worried I was going to be angry when I found out.

Despite my many reasssurances since (hey all you did was flick a switch :rolleyes:, could have happened to either one of us etc etc) she's still a bit wary about them.

Jeff

badchamp, Mar 1, 2006
  8. chris1968

Will The Lucky One

Had a drunken mate of mine decide to just grab hold of and turn the volume nob of my amp whilst I was playing music....turned it to about the 4 o'clock position which is just :eek: in terms of loudness and I don't reckon it did the speakers much good either. He didn't do it again though, scared himself a bit and don't think he'd fancy forking out for replacements if he busts my kit...

When I moved house a couple of weeks ago one of my new housemates accidentally dragged one of the speakers over the back bumper of her car, took a little bit of the vinyl off the top edge :(. She took time off from her lectures to help me move though - ending up making 4 trips in a Ford Ka, which given I'd only met her the day before was really nice of her....it was an accident and I've never seen anyone apologise so much so didn't feel inclinced to moan that much!

Will, Mar 1, 2006
Ask a Question