Theta DAC advice/Manual

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Alan Brown, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Alan Brown

Alan Brown

Hi,

Anyone got a manual for a Theta Ds Pro Basic 3 DAC from circa 1995? It is the 20bit model and I'm afraid I know little about it. I would appreciate a scanned copy...

I bought it try one of these old DACs as I've always fancied one, and this one is from America. I was told a voltage conversion would be possible so I sent it to Chevron, only to be told that it couldn't happen after all! :( Not a complete loss of £80 though, as the toslink socket needed replacing apparently. So my conversion budget is now blown & I still have to get a transformer (now arriving friday). So the damned thing has already cost me over the odds before I've even heard it - it is definitely on probation & I'd like to know a little more about it.

Ta very much, chaps...:)

Alan Brown, Jun 17, 2010
  2. Alan Brown

Alan Brown

I've now got the Theta, a US mains IEC lead, and a big overspecced transformer from ebay. I am ready to play, almost.

The front has a selector button, and three input LEDs. 1st: AES, 2nd: Coax & Tos, third: Glass & Coax. I have attached a picture of the front & also the inputs at the rear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(That's the tape/DAT in & out to the left.)

I have had one or two DACs, but in this case I do not know which inputs to use. I want the CD via Coax, and Sky box via Toslink.

Any clear suggestions before I just go ahead & use common sense? I don't wish to make any expensive mistakes...

Alan Brown, Jun 17, 2010
Ask a Question