Think I wanna buy a Skoda

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mart, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Mart

Mart Smog Dodger

Bugger, went for a run out wi Mr Birkitt on sunday in his Fabia rs.

That things off it tits, 260 odd footpounds of torque and a six speed box in a 1.8 diesal.

And Paul knows how to drive which makes a pleasant change to the driving skills of some people I know.

So either Im buyin a Skoda or my Coupe is gettin a NOS kit, and a supercharger, and bigger cams, how much was that turbo kit again.

Nice one Paul, thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon.:D :D :D :D :D

Mart, Jun 22, 2004
  2. Mart

PBirkett VTEC Addict

LOL mate!

Glad you like the car, some pleasant areas near where you live too, which I'd never seen before, great afternoon! :)

PBirkett, Jun 22, 2004
  3. Mart

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Its quite ironic that skoda than do this in 20 years

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It just shows what VW ownership can do. Skoda make some brialliant cars now.

amazingtrade, Jun 22, 2004
  4. Mart

Hex Spurt

"The year is 1895. In Mlada Boleslav near Prague, businessman Vaclav Klement and engineer Vaclav Laurin go into partnership, initially as manufacturers of bicycles. Just 11 years later however, they present their first motor car – and one of the world's oldest car makers is born. From that first vehicle on, every single car manufactured by Laurin & Klement was built according to the company founders' philosophy: that good workmanship is measured by the quality of the parts you don't see. The 1929 Skoda 860 is typical of the magnificent luxury limousines that typified this era in the company's history. Among the fans of these elegant Czech motor cars were a clutch of film stars and even a president. The 1920s and 30s were a dynamic time for Skoda. The product range expanded in step with the company's growing stature, the era of grand Skoda limousines reaching its peak in 1938 with the unveiling of the Superb. An exceptionally spacious car, it was also lavishly appointed and equipped with state of the art technology."

Seems like Skoda rose, fell, then rose again.

MZ Motorcycles had a similar decline under communist rule. A once mighty racing pedigree lay forgotton as the peoples party ordered the production of cheap transport for the masses.

Can't lay all the blame on the Communist Party though. Look at Lamborghini's rather checkered past. Now a true supercar star under the helm of VAG. Murcielago and the Gallardo anyone. Hmmm...nice :D

Image below is Skoda limo from the 1930's (Wonder if the driver came free? ;) )

Hex Spurt, Jun 22, 2004
  5. Mart

Will The Lucky One

Thought the vRS was a 1.8 turbo petrol? :)

Will, Jun 22, 2004
  6. Mart

PBirkett VTEC Addict

The Skoda Octavia vRS is a 1.8-litre 20v Turbo Petrol.
    The Skoda Fabia vRS (my car) is a 1.9-litre TDI PD diesel.

PBirkett, Jun 22, 2004
  7. Mart

Will The Lucky One

Ah right, I was getting your car and Saab's motor mixed up (his is the Octavia vRS), though admittedly until now I thought both Octavia and Fabia VRS had the same engine anyway :)

Will, Jun 22, 2004
  8. Mart

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I think Skoda thought the highly economical and torquey TDI engine would be the best option for their baby pocket rocket - and IMO they are right, it feels very quick in a car of its size.

A 1.8T option would have been interesting - a friend has just bought an Ibiza FR 1.8T with the view of upping its power from 150 bhp to 350 bhp for a few shy of 3 grand.

The TDI PD 130 can be tuned to 185 bhp / 320 lb ft for around £400, and having been in such a car, it feels very fast indeed.

PBirkett, Jun 22, 2004
  9. Mart

Saab

I have a mate with a 360bhp Golf and it cost him 3k just for the roller time.

350 is taking that car to its limits,a huge turbo+ remap + decat and zorst would still be less than 300bhp i think

I think he is being a tad optimistic on both cost and power

Saab, Jun 22, 2004
  10. Mart

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Well yes, so do I, but his heart is set on it, what can I say!

Edit: go to http://www.jabbasport.com/ and click turbo kits, he is after the stage 3 I believe.

PBirkett, Jun 22, 2004
  11. Mart

Saab

lol,and sneakily the £1500 worth of options are not really options,you need them all imo ie how can you fit a turbo without a remap? you cant,so the options arent options

good price though all said and done

crazy power through the front wheels,for hardcore drag strippers only imo

gearbox,clutch,flywheel,engine internals will all have shortened shelf lives,and tyres......................he will need a bob or two

:)

Saab, Jun 22, 2004
  12. Mart

Mart Smog Dodger

Bugger it, I just had a wheel bearin collapse on the rear.

Hey guess what too, dealer part only and Petches of Durham want £112 + the vat.

Right, I'm off to indulge in a spot of sulking. :(

Mart, Jun 23, 2004
  13. Mart

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Hay Paul that is a bit of a step up from the Micra, so what prompted you to get one of these then? What's it like on your insurance?

lhatkins, Jun 23, 2004
  14. Mart

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Not too bad actually, £500 / year fully comp, 20k miles + business use.

What prompted me to buy it? Sick of driving around in a dodgem.

PBirkett, Jun 23, 2004
  15. Mart

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

hehe ya I thought you were going to be in that Micra forever, wasn't giving you much "street cred!" a? but good to hear your driving a proper car now!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2004
    lhatkins, Jun 23, 2004
  16. Mart

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Contrary to popular belief (until recently anyway), I wasnt that keen on the Micra myself - it was a good reliable car that was pretty good fun to drive in its own way though, but I never liked the way it looked - it was very cheap though, and for what it cost, couldnt really complain.

The new car is admittedly much better, but then its also about £5k more expensive!

PBirkett, Jun 23, 2004
Ask a Question