This is what I want to do, best way of doing it?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by davidcotton, Jan 16, 2006.

1. davidcotton

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Hi

In a vain attempt to clear my room of clutter, I hit upon the idea of converting my cd collection into mp3 (or equivalent), putting it all on a jukebox type (think cambridge audio 640h type)device, connecting it to the hifi and dumping the cds in a box in the loft.

This is what I've got atm :-

Marantz 66 KI Signature Amp

Marantz 63 KI Signature CDP

Mission 780 Speakers on atacama stands.

I DO have a pc (p4, 2.53 80 gig hd, ti 4200 graphics card) but want to ideally not use it in this context. Main problem being that its in another room in the house and so not ideal to being used as a server as can't be left on all the time. This is where the idea of a device like the cambridge came in.

Have been doing the research over the weekend and seems that if I want a one box solution (which is really what I'm after), then it comes down to either the cambridge (which is still buggy and a bit noisy) or the hifidelio (which seems to get good reviews everywhere but seems to be about £200 more).

I was just wondering if anyone had any alternatives as to using the jukeboxes?

Also has anyone had any experiences of using the jukeboxes in this type of situation?

Seen the solus system which looks very slick but again is computer based.

Oh and the budget? Lets say £800 TOPS which is the price of the hifidelio unit which is favourite atm.

Cheers...

davidcotton, Jan 16, 2006
  2. davidcotton

Garmt

The Cambridge will suit you fine methinks. The Arcam unit looks a good proposition as well, but dunno if it's too expensive.

Garmt, Jan 16, 2006
  3. davidcotton

lordsummit moderate mod

Why not use your PC, a DAC and a squeezebox. That seems to be the favourite way of doing what you want to do. Much easier to add extra storage space to as well

lordsummit, Jan 16, 2006
  4. davidcotton

andrew1810

I'd also suggest a Squeezebox over the others, the Cambridge looks good, but I have read a lot of reports of bugs and noise problems.
    The hifidelio looks a pretty good option, but I personally would rather have some way of backing up my music. The display looks a bit small as well.
    The squeezebox would also give you options for the future, once the pc and network are in place, it is very easy to add more squeezebox's to other rooms.

If you don't want to have your pc on all of the time, there are two options you could consider:
    1) The expensive option - I can build a near silent mini-server, but to keep it small and quiet, it does get expensive: http://hifiwigwam.com/forum16/2234.html

2) The cheap(er) option - get a cheap, quiet computer and throw it in a cupboard somewhere. Have this computer only running slimserver. Then get a cheap NAS box (PC World had a Toshiba for £120 with 300Gb I think), put all of your music on the NAS (ripped on the main pc) and then all you need running is the quiet pc and the NAS. It just so happens I have a few of these which would be perfect:
    http://zerogain.com/forum/showpost.php?p=156847&postcount=1
    If you have any consoles, they are quieter than the xbox and gamecube, just to give you an idea of the noise they produce.

Any questions, just let me know

Andrew

p.s. There was a Yamaha unit which I think Sevenoaks stock, but I can't find it on their website.

andrew1810, Jan 16, 2006
  5. davidcotton

NRG

Hifidelio has the best features and user interface by a large margin. Display is clear and easy to read. Sound quality is mediocre via analogue out though, better via s/pdif into good DAC. Has inbuilt CDDB and can link to Internet for updates. Can be backed up via USB ports. Also can record analogue IE LP with edit facility and then burn to CD-R, nice feature. Good networking facilities, Ethernet hub and wirless inbuilt.

640H is noisy in operation and you must use a TV or monitor to fully utilise all the features. Has no CDDB so must also have Internet access. Sound quality is good though from analogue ports. No inbuilt wirless, no hub just single Ethernet port.

MKIII Squeezebox would be better IMHO, however, it may prove more expensive and you will need a PC or Mac to drive it. MacMini is sweet though.

NRG, Jan 16, 2006
  6. davidcotton

andrew1810

I think it could quite easily be within budget:

Squeezebox 3: £230ish
    NOS DAC: £120ish
    NAS: £150ish (http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/~94389~/product.htm?affiliate=2019)
    Cheap PC: £25

Total: £525, leaves room for an upgraded DAC/more storage/more cd's

andrew1810, Jan 16, 2006
  7. davidcotton

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

For Audio only, you can build a basically silent PC into the Silverstone LaScala LC11 Case (I have the version with Display). Using the right software you can make that PC usable completely without screen.

On a budget of £ 800 you can stick a ton of storage in there, my Windows Media Center PC with Dual Digital TV Tuners came in at around that net....

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jan 16, 2006
  8. davidcotton

DavidY80 Long Member

I think the advice that andrew1810 has provided above is pretty sound (if you'll excuse the pun), but I think you need to work out what your priorities are.

If convinience is your number one factor, for a single room audio system, then the products you mention may be what you're looking for.

If sound quality is your first priority, and you may want multi-room at some point in the future, I'd suggest looking at a squeezebox based system, with a cheap PC stashed in the loft or a cupboard as the server.

The standard squeezebox is OK, although probably not as good as your current CD player when fed by lossless files (don't even think about MP3's). An external DAC can be used to improve the performance of the Squeezebox, which in turn can be improved further still with a little work.

I don't know where you're based, but if you want to hear what a Squeezebox is capable of with a little work, you're most welcome to listen to one of ours.

Regards
    Dave

DavidY80, Jan 16, 2006
  9. davidcotton

andrew1810

If you have a loft/basement where you can store a louder PC, I can also custom build a server to any specs.

Obviously if you don't have that luxury, a silent NAS and almost silent PC will work the same.

Andrew

andrew1810, Jan 16, 2006
  10. davidcotton

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Should of added that I do already own a superdac 24/96 and separate psu to the list. That'll teach me to make the post first thing in the morning :rolleyes:

As good as the pc based alternatives are I really am trying to cut down on the amount of boxes around the house tbh.

Cheers....

davidcotton, Jan 16, 2006
  11. davidcotton

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

My Media Center PC has eliminated the CD-Player/Transport in my system, it also (incidentally) got rid of Digital TV Set Top Boxes, VCR and a few more. Once I finish my internal PCM56 Non-Os DAC Board it will be a single Box all format Player plus digital dual tuner PVR.

This was my main reason for going the Media PC route, reduce the number of boxes....

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jan 16, 2006
  12. davidcotton

NRG

Good prices, screen, KB & mouse, DAC cable all included?

Another plus for HiFiDelio is Flac support, 640H can't do it.

NRG, Jan 16, 2006
  13. davidcotton

andrew1810

No screen, keyboard or mouse needed, the computer is simply a slimserver box, so accessing it can be done via the web interface/VNC, I can include a card to stop it needing a keyboard on boot as well.

I didn't include cables in the price though, good point!

Andrew

andrew1810, Jan 16, 2006
Ask a Question