This place...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by garyi, Dec 19, 2004.

1. garyi

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Is to busy willy waving and arguing, and fails to answers questions.

It will surely die.

garyi, Dec 19, 2004
  2. garyi

michaelab desafinado

What questions would you like answers to Gary? To be honest, if it dies then so be it. I don't really care anymore. If people can't behave like adults then it's their loss.

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 19, 2004
  3. garyi

penance Arrogant Cock

Michael,
    Tis sad to see you say that, but i can see your point and understand it.

penance, Dec 19, 2004
  4. garyi

titian

garyi,
    For what questions do you want to have answers?
    I don't believe that in Hifi there are appropriate answers to individual problems. You need to know very well the person involved and that on a forum is not possible. In some way the persons involved in Hifi live each in there own world and even if they meet together every one stays in his own world. I believe it is more usefull to use the forum to meet each other somewhere (bake offs, shows...) and then discuss the issues in the forum. In this way those who discuss have the same listening experience and can understand each other better.

It is true that when the forum is polarized by egocentric people then it is more usefull to stay away and for example listen to music. :)

titian, Dec 19, 2004
  5. garyi

julian2002 Muper Soderator

titian (and gary)
    forums also provide an insight into what else is out there. if i'd not been a member of this forum (and others) i'd never have contemplated using pc audio, building myown speakers, or that there was anything beyond buying brand new amongs other things. these things seem to have their cycles and with any small closed system entropy will set in and either has be acceded to or fought with new energy going into the system. all to often this is seen as purely 'new blood' however established members can also play their part to help this trend by thinking a bit before posting, leading threads too off subject or going off on one if there is a disagreement.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 19, 2004
  6. garyi

Titan I tend to have a shufty around most of the threads, and people come on asking a simple questions X Y or Z within a few hours the threads have descended way past the point of the question. I think its great to have separate individual characters, but I believe its got to the stage where new comers will only find this place cliquey.

Just perhaps people could contain their dicks long enough for people to get a straight answer is all.

And put all that junk on blind testing etc in the bin, it serves no purpose and takes an age to wade through. What a shame all of the big threads are simply arguments eh?

garyi, Dec 19, 2004
  7. garyi

Ya-Boo

Its not so called willy waving that polutes this forum,
    Its more a case of some people wanting to massage their EGO's on a regular basis
    If anybody has a differing opinion to the more prolific posters on here
    they are deemed as somehow.....deaf,opioniated,mischief makers wishing to
    upset the status Quo
    there are proberly lots of lurkers viewing who would love too post questions
    but a worried the so called experts will verbally take the piss,no names no packdrill

This term " willy waving " seems to be the "in" Phrase on this site

IMHO The term " willy waving " is a load of utter bollocks, By denifinition this is a Hifi forum first and formost
    That means a lot of chaps on here are gonna own Hi-end gear,
    just cos they do, does NOT a willy waver make them.
    Personally I love to hear what gear others members use,for me the more estoric/special/rare/expensive/trick looking the better
    Its {mostly} a fact that Expensive stuff sounds better most of the time[ cables aside}

If chaps on here want to spend 8K on a Amp or CDP so what
    I've not come across anybody on hear saying just cos you don't own xyz
    your system is a load of crap.

Ya-Boo, Dec 19, 2004
  8. garyi

Well it seems you totally lost the whole point.

Never mind.

Thanks for example.

garyi, Dec 19, 2004
  9. garyi

Ya-Boo

Garyi

Ask me a question and you will get an honest reply
    my post was not intended to arguementitive,

Ya-Boo, Dec 19, 2004
  10. garyi

Lt Cdr Data om

hmm Garyi, as far as forums go, I have found it to be one of the friendliest and least argumentative in general, and loads of variety, most people here have their own views of course, but you get a variety, and answers are quick to come, too.
    When I was a little 'green ' to the web and fora, I expected answers right away, not realising people were at work, perhaps only logged on 2-3 times per week, its not now unreasonable to wait a few days for an answer generally.
    Its certainly not as fundamentalist as others, barring a certain few.
    its got a good mix, but I think everything has a shelf life. Perhaps it is coming to the end of its days, sad but true.
    It has been hijacked of late by narrow minded types who get more hung up on the capacitance of cables than enjoying music.
    Medicine has a word for it, obsessive compulsive disorder, and its an illness.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, Dec 19, 2004
  11. garyi

MO! MOnkey`ead!

IMO it's MOre to do with so many threads having digs and comments (from all sides) like those above.

Some people seem to take it too seriously, and over react to comments. But when a thread's started and (often) from the first reply it's steered toward another bitch fight, it gets a bit tedious.

MO!, Dec 19, 2004
  12. garyi

Saab

indeed,to both of those comments,and I include myself in one half of it

but also i feel its better to elt some debates blow themselves out artehr than constantly locking threads,this just pents things up and the stuff just spews out elsewhere

Saab, Dec 19, 2004
  13. garyi

alexs2

I've only recently joined this forum,and like you,found it to be generally very friendly,and informative,but I do seem to have arrived in the middle of one person in particular taking matters to levels of introspection and nit-picking which really do detract from what the rest of the forum has to offer.

I expect that every forum is "blessed" with at least one.

alexs2, Dec 19, 2004
  14. garyi

ditton happy old soul

was thinking of changing my monica/handle to, well, monica/handle, so that we stopped being 'chaps' and dropped the willy-waving metaphor. The amount of disposable cash to put in the way of hifi kit must vary so widely that all that can unite us is wanting to get best VFM in quest for good sounds.

the objective/subjective debate has quite a few gems, but has obviously upset earlier cosyness.

so let's chill out.

I'm still learning, in fact got a lot to learn, and have done so from some who post here. I am in a quandry at the mo about how to complete config of kit to best effect but there has become so much strife of late that its made me hesitate to ask dumb questions.

ditton, Dec 19, 2004
  15. garyi

Lt Cdr Data om

what I said wasn't a dig, it was a sincere explanation.

Lt Cdr Data, Dec 20, 2004
  16. garyi

Curt

I agree with Garyi to an extent.
    There certainly are some knowall types on here.
    Someone will mention a component that they think is good and may say it has good bass someone else will pipe it no it doesnt blah blah blah.
    If you want real bass try this etc.
    When are these guys gonna learn.
    Another trait is falling in and out of favour with products quite quickly.
    One day the Chord DAC is the bee's knees the next day its crap etc.

Curt, Dec 20, 2004
Ask a Question