Thread title links in Safari (Mac)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by michaelab, Mar 1, 2006.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

For some weird reason the thread title links and "go to first unread post" buttons next to them no longer show the 'hand' cursor (indicating a link) anymore on ZG.

Every other link in ZG works just fine and the same links on PFM are also fine.

No problems in Firefox (on Mac or PC). Very odd.

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 1, 2006
  2. michaelab

Slaphead Lurking less

Even as an apple fan I cannot recommend Safari. If you've got Firefox stick to it. Alternatively use Camino - It's not without it's problems, but its fast and built specifically for OS X as a cocoa app.

Slaphead, Mar 1, 2006
  3. michaelab

Telkman Nurturing Malevolence

Presumably you mean the forum display, rather than the front page, as you mention similar links on PFM?

Nothing changed from standard in the templates, but I'll look into it for you - hopefully I can find enough bits about the loft to get one of my macs working...

Telkman, Mar 1, 2006
  4. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Mark - yes, I mean in the forum display (or in the New Posts search result). It's not remotely critical, just an observation.

Slaphead - I currently have Safari as my default browser on my iBook but also use Firefox, mainly for web development as it has much better web development support IMO. What do you not like about Safari? I haven't really had any issues with it.

Michael

michaelab, Mar 1, 2006
  5. michaelab

Slaphead Lurking less

Mostly I find it unreliable when dealing with the web configuration interfaces of various network devices especially with D-Link equipment. Either it does not allow you to use certain interface elements or, if it does, it fails to communicate properly with the device thus you end up messed up settings on the device in question.

I suppose as a standard web browser it's ok - a damn sight better than IE on the mac. It's just that I've lost confidence in it. When there seems to be faster, and generally more compatable open scource alternatives about, I find it hard to recommend safari.

My default browser is camino. If I find a page that doesn't work too well with camino I switch to firefox or opera. It's rare that I find a page that works with safari and not camino, firefox and opera.

All IMHO - if you find Safari does it for you have fun with it:)

Slaphead, Mar 1, 2006
  6. michaelab

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

A second vote for Camino - a superb browser, especially the processor specific builds.

Tony.

TonyL, Mar 1, 2006
  7. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I might give Camino a whirl as my default browser for a while then. I had a quick play with it this afternoon and couldn't really see what was so good/different about it compared to Firefox (it uses the same rendering engine).

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 1, 2006
  8. michaelab

Main advantages are it’s smaller and faster (it is very tight optimised code) and it conforms to Mac user interface rules far better than Firefox. Have a hunt round the Camino forum and if you use a Mac with a PPC 7450 chip (later, faster G4s) try one of krmathis’s optomised builds and you will soon become a convert!

Tony.

TonyL, Mar 1, 2006
  9. michaelab

TonyL, Mar 1, 2006
  10. michaelab

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I would use Camino as my default if it would just implement a bloody spell check, as this is built into OSX I just don't see why it cannot.

garyi, Mar 1, 2006
  11. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

One big (literally) issue I have with Camino is the HUGE toolbar (+ bookmark bar). Safari and Firefox (with iFox theme) both manage to fit everything inc. the bookmark bar into the height of Camino's toolbar alone. On a 12" iBook such a big ass toolbar is a precious waste of screen real estate. Another thing I love in FF that isn't available in Camino is the option to force new windows that would have opened in a new window to open in a new tab instead (by default). In Camino it only works for links opened from other apps.

Beyond that I haven't found it to be any faster than either Safari or FF (I'm using the optimized build). I also just think it looks, well, a bit crap.

I'll try it out for a bit longer but I can't see myself switching.

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 2, 2006
  12. michaelab

I run Camino with small buttons, no button text and no bookmark bar. I have assigned two letter ‘keywords’ to all my most used favourites, i.e. typing ‘tt’ into the address bar takes me to eBay’s turntable section, so I have no need to waste any screen acreage at all on a bookmark bar. The fact Safari has no keyword function makes it a complete non-starter for me, so the choice is between Firefox and Camino and IMHO the latter is much better.

Tony.

TonyL, Mar 2, 2006
  13. michaelab

Slaphead Lurking less

I guess choice of browser is as personal as choice of HiFi :)

Slaphead, Mar 2, 2006
  14. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Tony - how do you make Camino run with small buttons? I searched the options for something similar in vain.

Apart from the fact that Camino renders web controls with a proper Mac look & feel I can't really see much difference between it and Firefox TBH. Camino doesn't have extensions though which makes it pretty much a non-starter for web development.

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 2, 2006
  15. michaelab

jtc

In defence of Safari, there was a criticism of how it renders certain network devices' control panels. Let me set the record straight here: Safari is one of the very few ACID2 compatible browsers out there, and treads the path of HTML compliance far more accurately than such browsers as IE or even Firefox (or, it did as of FF1, I haven't really paid so much attention to FF since 1.5 came out).

What I'm basically saying is 'don't shoot the messenger' - if the devices' panels are rendered in dodgy, deprecated or non-standard HTML, then that's the fault of the developers/authors who created those control panels.

I had a look to see why the A:float image wasn't being set, but as I'm stuck on a crummy HP box right now I have no access to Safari. I can only assume that someone's done something non-standard (that IE6 on this box is letting us away with) OR your browser version has either a bug or managed to get its knickers in a twist...

jtc, Mar 2, 2006
  16. michaelab

jtc

PS. Camino rocks, though these days I'm using Safari and Opera mainly.

jtc, Mar 2, 2006
  17. michaelab

Control-click on a blank part of the tool bar and a little context menu appears.

Tony.

TonyL, Mar 2, 2006
  18. michaelab

Safari is so close, yet so far away for me. It is a great browser for sure, but I can’t live without keyboard shortcuts for favourites. It also has a bug with vBulletin (or always has had, not tried with 10.4.5 yet) where after a short while the ‘jump to first unread’ button breaks and just takes you to the top of the page, not the appropriate post. Either one of these would be a deal breaker for me, both together make it utterly useless. Plus points are it’s fast, looks nice and is simple.

Tony.

TonyL, Mar 2, 2006
  19. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

...I haven't yet seen one that isn't. Web design for network device control panels appears to be stuck somewhere in the mid 90s - bloody terrible.

Tony - I think the "jump to first unread" bug with Safari/vB is now fixed. Until you mentioned it I'd not really used the keyboard shortcuts for favourites (in Firefox or Camino) - I'm starting to like them a lot, especially for work.

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 2, 2006
  20. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

ok, with the icons set to small and no text, the bookmark bar hidden and all entries given keyboard shortcuts, the "look" of Camino made 'metal' (just like Safari) using CamiTools and things are definitely looking up for Camino....

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 2, 2006
Ask a Question