To stack or not to stack?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by BlueMax, Dec 11, 2003.

1. BlueMax

BlueMax

Stacking is considered to be a big 'No No' among hi-fi enthusiasts.
    But when shelf space is at a premium this can difficult to achieve.

How about stacking of two components when only one is actually used?
    For example stacking a DAC on top of an FM Tuner or a DVD player on a CDP?

If electrical interference is the argument against stacking, one could always switch off the component not in use at that moment in time.

Any thoughts?

BlueMax, Dec 11, 2003
  2. BlueMax

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I think that it is important to make sure the amp, cd player and turntbale are all on seperate shelves. Having said that when I moved my Nicam VCR from underneath my TV to a seperate shelf the sound quality sharply and very noticable improved.

I have all my items on seperate shelves apart from my Rotel preamp which is just used at to switch extra things such as my PC/dvd etc.

amazingtrade, Dec 11, 2003
  3. BlueMax

BlueMax

Does it matter if the CDP and the turntable are on the same shelf since only one of those will be used at any particular moment in time?

Of course; this is assuming that the shelf is wide enough.
    Will be rather difficult to do otherwise :D

BlueMax, Dec 11, 2003
  4. BlueMax

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Yes. If the turntbale is stacked on top of the CD Player unless the footprint of the CD player is very large it will be very hard to get the turntbale level. The idea of stacking each item on a seperate shelf is you can reduce the effects of vibrations tranmsitting into each of the componenets. Also buy stacking up things on seperate shelves you reduce the likely of hood of magentic radiation traveling into different boxes from the transformers.

amazingtrade, Dec 11, 2003
  5. BlueMax

tones compulsive cantater

It is? My stuff is Linn and Linn specifically says that there is no problem in putting the units (all identically sized) on top of each other. So, the CD player sits on the pre-amp, which, in turn, sits on one of the power amps, and I have never had any problems.

I think some hi-fi enthusiasts don't have enough to occupy their time gainfully.

tones, Dec 11, 2003
  6. BlueMax

BlueMax

I agree.

But what about stacking of two components when only one is actually used? For example stacking a DAC on top of an FM Tuner or a DVD player on a CDP?

If the component not in use is switched off, will the EM radiations or the RFI still be a problem?

BlueMax, Dec 11, 2003
  7. BlueMax

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

If you switch a DAC off you might as well not bother having one - cold digital electronics sound awful; in turn, many digital components will interfere with FM radios if stacked by them.

Never EVER put an amp at the bottom (sorry Tones!) - it'll cook itself and everything above it - amps should always be at the top of a stack - especially if they run hot. This isn't always practical since amps are often the heaviest part of the stack.

domfjbrown, Dec 11, 2003
  8. BlueMax

BlueMax

Re: Re: To stack or not to stack?

I did in fact try stacking the way I mentioned and did not hear any adverse effect in the sound quality.
    However, when you are told such things by 'experts', it gets you wondering, "may be my hi-fi is not good enough to show any difference or something is wrong with my hearing!" :(

It could be that it is one of the ways the likes of Russ Andrews and Audiophilecandy add 'perceived value' to their gizmos
    :rolleyes:

BlueMax, Dec 11, 2003
  9. BlueMax

titian

To stack or not to stack

IMO you may stack your components as much as you can and it will not damage them unless they fall down and break or get scratches.
    If you are instead refering to sound quality then IMO it depends very much on the components used and your ears.
    So try if possible to put them on seperate shelves or on racks and see if you hear any difference.
    All other technical, physical, mathematical,... explanations is a waste of time.

titian, Dec 11, 2003
  10. BlueMax

Sorry too, Dom, but garbage. Mine are just fine, nothing ever gets cooked (nothing ever appears even to get mildly warm) and everything sounds OK. I concede your point if the power amp is Class A and doubles as a toaster, otherwise not. (For one thing, when it's at the bottom, it's hard to get the bread out without crumbs going everywhere).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2003
    tones, Dec 11, 2003
  11. BlueMax

BlueMax

Agreed! In fact I never switch off the the system unless they are not going to be used for a few days.
    But for stacking, would it not be advisable to switch off the other stacked component to prevent EMI and RFI?
    Can the DAC and CDP be warmed up if switched on for say 30 minutes before serious listening? I am not suggesting that this switching on and off is done too often and reduce their life.
    Will a DAC that is switched off still affect the FM Tuner?

BlueMax, Dec 11, 2003
  12. BlueMax

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Re: Re: To stack or not to stack?

Mine too, and true enough mostly. But some of the beefier amps run too hot to stack. e.g. 3 2250s in a stack need an air gap of at least 14cm otherwise their internal fans keep triggering.

SteveC, Dec 11, 2003
  13. BlueMax

If I might again humbly disagree. I switched mine off all the time and it made not a ha'p'orth of difference. Digital electronics, cold or hot, sound exactly the same to me. Electrons couldn't care a fig if the medium through which they're moving is cold or hot, they just get on with the job. I always switch everything off when finished, because it makes no difference.

tones, Dec 11, 2003
  14. BlueMax

Re: Re: Re: To stack or not to stack?

My humbler fare (active LK85 and LK100) don't have cooling fans, so I guess they don't need 'em.

tones, Dec 11, 2003
  15. BlueMax

lowrider Live music is surround

Now I know why you dont hear differences when you tweak your system... :latte:

My player needs a good half an hour playing before it sounds good, and I keep it on stand-by all the time... :MILD:

lowrider, Dec 11, 2003
  16. BlueMax

MartinC Trainee tea boy

I think whether stacking is a problem or not is going to be equipment dependent to some extent. When I had an Audiolab 8000C/8000P combo I found there was noticeably electrical hum putting the pre straight on the power, which was much reduced by putting them on seperate shelves.

There is also of course the mechanical vibration issue, where seperating components would seem sensible, but if you can't tell any difference then it isn't a problem.

MartinC, Dec 11, 2003
  17. BlueMax

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Tones, sorry my fellow namesake, but all my digital gear from the superdac to the 270 transport mate, are shite from cold, and I mean bad, the wadia's are different beasts when cold, Henry T was here a couple of months ago, to listen to the super dac, but we had a power cut that night, and I hadn't been in the listening cell, we came in and hoooooooooo man, it was so naff :(
    Even the dvd player at home has a medicore picture for at least 30 mins till it settles to a constant smps temp :D
    I got to also mention capacitors, do sound different when cold, then for a 'warm state'.
    This morning I'm deciding which caps are suitable for a new project I'm working on, and I have to leave them a good 30/40 mins before conducting any serious listening (thats using the same caps, one new(stone cold, our stores are colder than a pair of old val's knickers) and one lifed (4 weeks use) thats been removed from a working piece of kit.
    On this one Tones I cannot be more sure :) Wm

Added, ALL the gear is left on permantly (stand by when not being listen to), we would loose so much time waiting for warm to finish and constant internal temp changes in the electronics arn't good for them, best left on I feel for a CONSTANT consistant level of preformance.

wadia-miester, Dec 11, 2003
  18. BlueMax

penance Arrogant Cock

My kit is on all the time, even then it sounds better after half hour of actual use as opposed to being just on.

penance, Dec 11, 2003
  19. BlueMax

...just as I'm equally sure of mine. Tone, I do not mean this at all rudely or disrespectfully, but truly, the longer I peruse this site, the sorrier I feel for all you golden eyes and ears with your super-dooper equipment. I'm ever so grateful that I am not gifted with either your acute perceptions or your depth of wallets, otherwise life would be just one upgrading hell. It seems to be like having perfect pitch - anything even slightly out of pitch drives you mad. I'd really much rather listen to music - from cold.

P.S. How cold exactly are old Val's knickers? And was she wearing them at the time?

tones, Dec 11, 2003
  20. BlueMax

Could be, Antonio, could be, but as Clark said to Vivienne in the last reel of "Gone with the Wind"...

tones, Dec 11, 2003
Ask a Question