To the technical minded forummers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by JohnMak, Jan 20, 2004.

1. JohnMak

JohnMak

Can any one tell me if this nOrh LeAmp2 is the same kind of design as the eVo2. On the specs they list it as "full bit" switching power supply ..... It's double dutch to me?? But the price is almost giveaway.

www.norh.com/products/leamp2/

JohnMak, Jan 20, 2004
  2. JohnMak

Robbo

It is a totally different amp design. The Norh is a conventional class AB amp whereas the belcanto is a ClassT switching amp.

Personally, I wouldnt get too hung up on what kind of topology an amp has, as there are good and bad examples of every type. Whats more important is how an amplifier sounds:)

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Jan 20, 2004
  3. JohnMak

julian2002 Muper Soderator

john,
    the b/c evo amps use the tripath 'class-T' module, the nohr seems to operate in class a/b. as far as i can tell the '1-bit switching psu' is just the power supply. a swich mode psu is heavily used in cheaper electronics and computers as it doesn;t need huge toroidal transformers to dissipate heat as current either flows or it doesn't (hence 'switch' mode psu). the drawbacks though are that some believe that they can dump excessive noise back into the mains and that they can 'wilt' under dynamic conditions - unless well specified.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jan 20, 2004
  4. JohnMak

JohnMak

Hi Julian 2002 and Robbo,
    Many thanks for that clarification .... I was starting to think I had found a $300 per amp Bel Canto made in Thailand. No free lunches huh!

Robbo, is that a Sim Eclipse CDP you have alongside your name in your postings. Do you own one of these? They look great.

JohnMak, Jan 20, 2004
  5. JohnMak

Robbo

John,

Yes indeed it is a Sim eclipse. it is a wonderful player and I'm very happy with it.

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Jan 20, 2004
  6. JohnMak

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Don't give up so easy. It is designed in the USA and there have been good comments in reviews of their products on TNT-audio audioasylum and other places.

SMPSs are not bad by implication just because small ones are used in computers - Linn use them in their high-end gear too.

SteveC, Jan 20, 2004
Ask a Question