Today's thoughts

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by I-S, Jan 4, 2007.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Today has been unusual in that for the first time in a long time I've been doing some listening (you'd think working on amplifiers I'd do it rather often....:rolleyes: ).

A few thoughts of today:

Listening to a pair of £200 floorstanders with a thousand drive units after being used to a carefully setup £2k pair of standmounters in the same room can put you off.

Step-down transformers make funny noises.

My now apparently fit again CD16 with DOB kicks seven bells of hell out of my CD53 as a transport. Even when the 53 is on the rack when the CD16 is on the floor with no baseplate, feet, lid, etc...

My room sounds orders of magnitude better now that the telly is gone. Might be even better if I tidied up all the junk (oscilloscope, vacuum cleaner, piles of clean but unsorted/folded laundry, etc).

I find myself vaguely re-enthused. Maybe even moreso in a couple of months time when my new amplifier arrives...

I-S, Jan 4, 2007
  2. I-S

zanash

yep I found the same when I got rid of my 28"crt

zanash, Jan 4, 2007
  3. I-S

MO! MOnkey`ead!

What are you saying?

Was the TV between the speakers?
    Do you mean the improvement is not having it plugged into the mains? Or that you have MOre time to appreciate music now that the devil box has gone?

Just need to get some decent tunes now ;)

MO!, Jan 4, 2007
  4. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

TV between the speakers, TV parked in the corner, didn't matter. The improvement is the physical removal of the TV. I imagine a flat-panel screen would give best of both worlds (although I don't wish to pay TV license, and never watch it anyway).

I-S, Jan 4, 2007
  5. I-S

rollo

Clean up that room and you'll be listening alot real soon.Besides the sonic improvement a tidy flat will make you feel better.
    The physical size of the tellie alone was restricting your room acoustics.The additional benifit is no EMI from the TV or cable box.Put it back and you should notice a change for the worse.
    I wouldn't put a TV in my audio room unless I had no choice.
    rollo

rollo, Jan 4, 2007
  6. I-S

Tenson Moderator

General clutter may improve the sound, but it probably makes you feel a bit depressed sitting there ;)

Tenson, Jan 4, 2007
  7. I-S

mr cat Member of the month

as already mention - since we've moved house - the new living room is 25 foot long and as yet not cluttered (waiting for a new sofa to arrive) - but my systems just sings and I don't have to worry about the neighbours! yay...!

mr cat, Jan 5, 2007
Ask a Question