Tom Evans Eikos

Wanted: Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by billyoftheknigh, Feb 3, 2011.

1. billyoftheknigh

billyoftheknigh

Anyone got one out there that they are willing to part with?

I had one about 10yrs ago and stupidly sold it.

billyoftheknigh, Feb 3, 2011
  2. billyoftheknigh

dazz2303

hi,

you are right nobody wants to part with theirs and not even me !!sorry!!

good luck

dazz2303, Feb 4, 2011
  3. billyoftheknigh

mik9999

Hi Billy, I have an Eikos that I am considering parting company with if you are still looking? It is in perfect condition with manuals and remote. However I am looking for about £900 to finance my next upgrade.

mik9999, Nov 20, 2011
  4. billyoftheknigh

dazz2303

has it got the external power supply?

dazz2303, Nov 20, 2011
  5. billyoftheknigh

mik9999

Hi Dazz,

Thanks for the response, no unfortunately not, tbh I wasn't even aware a separate power supply was available. It is just as I purchased it many years ago. Are the separate power supplies still available? IF so what difference do they make?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2011
    mik9999, Nov 20, 2011
  6. billyoftheknigh

RORY57

Massive Improvement

HUGE!!!

I have the dual psu Eikos and it knocks pretty much every other player into orbit. However the upgrade is not cheap ( or fast) and only available through Tom Evans Audio Design. BUT WORTH THE WAIT AND COST!

RORY57, Nov 20, 2011
  7. billyoftheknigh

mik9999

Hi Rory, thanks for your reply, do you reckon I should keep hold of it then and maybe upgrade it?

Could you let me know how much roughly it would cost to upgrade, and what differences does it make to the sound?

My plan was to buy a Cyrus (after reading many reviews) to replace the Eikos I've had since 1999, but after listening to it, it was too harsh and a bit tiring for my liking, although incredibly detailed and revealing, certainly more revealing than the Eikos.

I then heard a Sugden which was much more to my liking, less digitised and as warm and rich as the Eikos (almost valve-like), but a little more revealing and detailed.

Until recently, I had no idea the Eikos' were so sort after, I though it was just me. It seems a little bazaar that a 13 year old cd player, or any other piece of electrical equipment for that matter, would be worth anything after all that time. But thanks so much for the heads up on the upgrades, I must admit I am loathed and reluctant to get rid of it after all these years but I've just got the bee in my bonnet.

mik9999, Nov 20, 2011
  8. billyoftheknigh

RORY57

I am not sure, give Tom a call, he is usually up for a chat, I would think that would cover it though. Obviously the ext psu is quite large, so you would need space to house it.
    Has your Eikos got a isolation plinth on the bottom, with or without squash balls?

RORY57, Nov 20, 2011
  9. billyoftheknigh

mik9999

I have it on a Mission ISO plat at present. That is mad, how did you know about the squash balls? I replaced them after they perished many years ago, with Oak cone feet I bought from Russ Andrews.

Thank you for all your help, I think I will give him a shout and see what can be done. I just thought it's old technology now, it never even occurred to me that you could or would even want to upgrade electrical equipment so old.

mik9999, Nov 20, 2011
  10. billyoftheknigh

RORY57

I think I may have a spare ' proper ' isolation slab for an Eikos somewhere if you decide to keep it. I have recently replaced the squash balls with sorbathene balls which don't sound quite as good, but don't compress. I have a full TEAD system which might release the full potential of the Eikos. What other components are you using?

RORY57, Nov 20, 2011
  11. billyoftheknigh

RORY57

Sorry Billyofthenigh but I think I might have scuppered mik9999 selling his. Do keep looking though you will NOT be disappointed.

RORY57, Nov 20, 2011
  12. billyoftheknigh

mik9999

I'm currently using it with a set of TAG McClaren amps (2x power amps and matching pre amp) and a pair of Kef reference 1.2's.

The Kef's are the newest part of the system dating back to about 2002, so it is pretty old set up now. Technology has probably moved on so much since it was all put together. With the cd player the oldest part of the system, it seemed to be the best starting point to bring the whole system up to date.

The problem is, everything is really well balanced at the moment, to my ears there isn't really a weak link letting the side down, I still love the sound it produces. As I say though, technology moves on so quickly there is undoubtedly better kit out there now. The major issue for me is, the financial outlay I'd need to make, to improve an already pretty impressive sound. Thanks again Rory:)

mik9999, Nov 21, 2011
  13. billyoftheknigh

johnandchris

one on ebay at the moment

johnandchris, Nov 21, 2011
  14. billyoftheknigh

RORY57

Might be worth a consideration as it has the 'basic' ext psu. Although i think if you went for the full monty version, it would be replaced with a totally new psu . If you sell your one for £900 it would be only a £600 upgrade though, and would be an improvement on what you already have.

Decisions, decisions...........................

RORY57, Nov 21, 2011
  15. billyoftheknigh

dazz2303

when i had mine the twin lithos was about 2k to upgrade.

just begged the question 2k was it worth it.

i will never know as i got an offer that was just to good to pass on.

but OMG!!! it sounded amazeing in standard form.

especially with the full mont amp and all tead cables

dazz2303, Nov 21, 2011
  16. billyoftheknigh

RORY57

I think that it would only probably be worth the BIG upgrade if you have or intend to upgrade to Tom's full kit. However, it is not cheap, although they are occasionally on *bay at bargain prices. A secondhand Vibe was / is on it recently at just over a grand. I am running a vibe (and pulse) through 2 a300r's mono blocked by Tom into LV Avatar obx r2's ( Which Tom describes as sounding like Porridge) I can't afford his speakers yet, they are about £6k!. I am waiting for him to upgrade my Linear B's to current spec. and MIGHT sell the 300's when I get them back. It has taken me over 10 years to get to this stage.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2011
    RORY57, Nov 21, 2011
  17. billyoftheknigh

dazz2303

probably another 10 years to get your amps back.lol

dazz2303, Nov 24, 2011
  18. billyoftheknigh

RORY57

It's ONLY been 15 months so far!! You never know I might have them back for Christmas, just not sure which one!!!

RORY57, Nov 25, 2011
Ask a Question