Tone Control Unit's As Add On's

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nando, Oct 11, 2009.

1. nando

robM

Hi Darryl

I have quite a few scattered around the offices/ homes I have.
    At the upper end it's a VPI HRX, 2 week old Kuzma 4 point, Ortofon PW Winfeld, Whest MC REF V phono stage, Lamm L2 preamp, ATC active 150s (2005 version). At lower end you don't want to know.
    I wouldn't say I was knowledgeable at all, but some of this is pretty common sense.

robM, Oct 14, 2009
  2. nando

darrylfunk

cheers for that rob.

i kinda agree with you about some of the pro / semi pro gear as obviously some gear is made to a price point.

but also some pieces out perform at there price points and can even beat costly modern / classic studio gear.

i'd not dismiss tensons tweaked up behringer as although i have not heard it myself , i know some people who have who rate it very highly and i know for a fact it is one of behringers better products to start with.

how are you getting on with the kuzma ?

darrylfunk, Oct 14, 2009
  3. nando

robM

the 4 point is really nice. I've gone through a few arms on the HRX but this is the best I have heard on it. I had a Triplanar for a while but I found it too 'sensitive' and far too fiddly. I did consider an air bearing but the noise of the pumps are too off-putting.

I'm sure Tensons Behinger is good but as I said before it's no giant killer. Having listened to many EQ units over the years and also had 1st hand experience of the Behinger DEQ2496 which was not good at all AND also listened to a lot of different hifi gear in my systems like most guys here, I believe we all know that you pays-for-what-you-gets.

to make it simple:
    a Linn K9 is not as good as a Dynavector XX2 Mk2 and no matter how much glue you use on that body, the K9 is going to stay a Linn K9. And like the Behinger unit, no matter what you do to it it will always have it's limitations which are inherent to its design topology. Tenson does not re-design the unit. The topology is fundamentally the same. All he is doing is making sound a lot better than what it is. It still has it's fundamental problems with its gain stages, EQ sections and how the VCAs work. The converters are not Apogee grade and the VCAs are not GML grade. Believe me, if I thought for a second that I could get away with using any piece of Behinger gear in the studios - I would!

robM, Oct 14, 2009
  4. nando

RobHolt Moderator

Easily solved, play the files back on your own system.
    Or get a bunch of people to play them back on a variety of systems.

Several ways to do this.
    Those with less than great soundcards needn't be left out - just burn the file to CD and play on a good CD player.

On the other hand a good pair of headphones connected to a laptop is a good deal more transparent and direct than many audio systems out there.

RobHolt, Oct 14, 2009
  5. nando

Tenson Moderator

Hi RobM,

It sounds like a fun test to me. I'll put the files on the web so you can download them and listen to them on your own system. One will be a direct bit-for-bit CD rip, so when you play that it should sound just like the CD being played on your own system. The other file will be the CD being played through the modified D/A conversion and then back in to the A/D conversion process.

I'll probably do it at the weekend.

Tenson, Oct 14, 2009
  6. nando

robM

yes...sounds good.

I'll definitely give it a go.

robM, Oct 14, 2009
  7. nando

nando nando

HI ROBM, I
    have just done a test between vynil and digital recordings, same tune on both formats, cd is original ,not cdr, using word sampling from sacd frequency's sampling and analogue vynil on to a tascam recorder ,playing both side to side the vynill sounded better, how ever by playing the cd copy , and vynil via a adc graphic the cd coppy sounded awesome at a sampling rate of 196
    khz, however the vynil copy was faster and more of a pleasure with ease to listen to,
    nando.

nando, Oct 14, 2009
  8. nando

robM

Hi Tenson can you just clarify this for me: using word sampling from sacd frequency's sampling and analogue vynil on to a tascam recorder

What Tascam recorder do you use? I have an old Genex GX9000
    DSD recorder as well as a an upgraded Sonoma 32 which is a nice unit. The Sonoma is quite rare but this one has been converted to run under Mac OSX 10.5

I hate to do this as I am often corrected but it's vinyl not vynil.

robM, Oct 14, 2009
  9. nando

nando nando

vynil or vinyl, call it wax ha ha,
    nando. word sampling is sacd freq.

nando, Oct 14, 2009
  10. nando

darrylfunk

robm.

it was nando not tenson ;)

i'd be interested in the test tracks to mr holt.

fire them off.

darryl.

darrylfunk, Oct 14, 2009
  11. nando

robM

darryl

see, I'm always being corrected;)

robM, Oct 14, 2009
  12. nando

nando nando

hi rob, it could be done, reading now the tannoy story book it has a perfect desing of tonal frequency diagrams that quad used to try to use, only these are more advanced, they can be even made to match frequency roll-off on speakers, wow,
    nando.

nando, Oct 16, 2009
Ask a Question