Tonearm Advice Required

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by DaveHiFi, Sep 17, 2006.

1. DaveHiFi

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

I had an audition yesterday of a Nottingham Analogue turntable the model was the Spacedeck with the upgraded heavy duty kit making it an Ace Space. I liked the sound very much that I am now considering replacing my LP12.
    My question is, the tone arm that was on the spacedeck was a Michell Technoarm but was also refered to by the salesman as a Space Ace arm, are these one and the same.
    Regards
    Dave

DaveHiFi, Sep 17, 2006
  2. DaveHiFi

dudywoxer Regaholic

3. DaveHiFi

zanash

I'd go with the NA arm ....as thats what it was designed to run on ....give uncle ants a call he knows all about space decks as he runs one.

zanash, Sep 17, 2006
  4. DaveHiFi

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

And I don't sell them either (nor tecnoarms :) ), so I can't be accused of bias :D

Tecnoarm and Ace Space Arm are completely different animals as Dudywoxer says, made by different companies, using different design prinicipals - so someone's a bit confused. The NAS arms are exceptionally good, if it were between the two I'd go for the NAS, especially on a NAS deck. Unipivot midrange loveliness, plus v good at the freq extremes without any of the usual unipivot wibbly wobbly paranoia (they may be unis but they feel like gimbal arms in use). superbly built and look nice too.

So far as I'm aware though a Spacedeck with a heavy kit is known as .... a Spacedeck with a heavy kit, though I believe Tom Fletcher has recently released a new version of the Space with a wider platter as well (dunno what its called). Mind you he's mucked about with the names of these things the names of these things before, so maybe it is now called an Ace Space... they are a bit clueless when it comes to branding and consistency

Uncle Ants, Sep 17, 2006
  5. DaveHiFi

zanash

They ..well yours sounds damn fine and I like things with spirings [except linn]

zanash, Sep 17, 2006
  6. DaveHiFi

lazyscott1

The new tt is called the Space 294 and is specially designed to be used with 12" arms hence the name. Walrus have one in. Also as i understand, the Ace-Space has a heavier platter made form slightly different materials as well as beefed up motor housing.

The below is taken from ASL's webpage on Notts TT's

"Nottingham's new tables - the Space 294 and Ace Space
    The Space 294 is as striking in its appearance as it is in its performance. The 294 refers to the pivot to spindle distance of this remarkable table. This distance results from the use of the new 12 inch version of the Ace Space 294 tonearm. The longer arm gives less tracking error.
    The table also uses a 14 inch platter, improving the platters' rotational stability by adding mass and placing it outside the records' perimeter."

"The Ace Space differs from the Space Deck by incorporating a new bearing (based on the Hyperspace bearing), a new arm board and a new motor mount. Together these improvements bring the Ace Space a long way towards the performance of the Hyperspace!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lazyscott1, Sep 18, 2006
  7. DaveHiFi

lazyscott1

Piccy of 294

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2006
    lazyscott1, Sep 18, 2006
  8. DaveHiFi

Ahhh. Sounds interesting. In fact sounds like a old standard Space could get a bearing upgrade if desired.

Uncle Ants, Sep 18, 2006
  9. DaveHiFi

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

Thanks

Many thanks guys for the valuable information. By the way I just missed out on an Ace Space arm on ebay Sunday night, it went for 210.01 and I didnt have time to up my bid from 207.21. Anyway thats life.
    Thanks once again guys

Regards

Dave

DaveHiFi, Sep 19, 2006
  10. DaveHiFi

That's a shame. A real bargain that would have been.

Uncle Ants, Sep 19, 2006
Ask a Question