Tonearm Wire Burn-In?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by crobo, Mar 14, 2006.

1. crobo

anon_bb Honey Badger

a pseudo-cruncher? I guess that figures...

anon_bb, Mar 15, 2006
  2. crobo

McLogan

I wouldn't go that far, but I've never heard this phenomenon personally. I recently replaced a standard RB300 with a Michell TecnoArm (silver-wired). Using a well broken-in cartridge (yes, they definitely break-in) the latter sounded great on first hearing and is still great (but no better) dozens of hours later.

I once introduced some Kimber Silver Streak ic to the interface between my cdp and a Plinius integrated amp. It sounded unacceptably bright for a few hours and then settled down. I then put the well-used original ic back to compare. It too sounded unacceptably bright before settling down to the sound I was familiar with.

Then I remembered that Plinius amps in particular sound lousy if switched off for any length of time and allowed to cool down, and of course I'd switched the amp off to deal with the cables.

Thus my "proof" of burn-in and the alleged inherent brightness of silver cables was nothing of the sort.

McLogan, Mar 16, 2006
  3. crobo

Bradders

BBV, I for one think you are highly original - pay no heed to the naysayers, for you alone know you have the mightiest turntable in the universe.

Bradders, Mar 16, 2006
  4. crobo

anon_bb Honey Badger

I am gratified that you acknowledge and respect the puisance of this magnificent and monumental edifice that embodies the very pinnacle of what is possible with engineering.

anon_bb, Mar 16, 2006
Ask a Question