Tony F'ing Wilson

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Mar 21, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Just went past a local art gallery store and they had a painting of Tony Wilson and they were asking £80 for it. Who in the read mind would want a painting of that **** in their room?

Don't get me wrong I have professional respect for man, he has done a lot of music, but then so I have people like Rob Gretton.

I just found it highly odd.

amazingtrade, Mar 21, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Ha :D

My favourite ever Hooky quote (I paraphrase) was when he was asked what he thought about the casting in 24 Hour Party People. He replied that the casting of Steve Coogan as Tony Wilson was excellent because it meant we had the biggest c*nt in Manchester played by the second biggest c*nt in Manchester. Very Droll.

Uncle Ants, Mar 21, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

RDD Longterm Lurker

Yeah, you wanna try working next door to him (Deva Centre - Salford)!!

RDD, Mar 21, 2005
  4. amazingtrade

Is that he is based now? I go past there nearly everyday when I get a bus from Salford Crescent into the city centre.

Does he still have that old N reg Jag? A couple of years ago somebody nearly ran me over on a side street of Deansgate, I looked at the driver and it was him.

5. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

erm...who is he..?

mr cat, Mar 21, 2005
  6. amazingtrade

TV presenter, mainly on the North West news but he has done a lot of national stuff as well. He was also the founder of Factory Records who signed up the likes of Joy Division, New Order, Happy Mondays, early OMD etc.

So he owned the record company which owned the Haceinda, although the Haceinda was never really his idea, Rob Gretton should get most the credit for that.

This is him

[​IMG]

7. amazingtrade

Just found this on a website

"
    Immortalised by Steve Coogan in 24hr Party People, the former Hacienda / Factory Records boss wields huge influence in music and technology from his Manchester base. Tony provided a break for the likes of Oasis and Radiohead, and now operates an online 'meta-label' offering music downloads."

How very very very wrong, he wasn't the Hacienda boss, he just owned the reocrd company which owned it, in fact Tony Wilson was strongly against the Haceinda according to my local sources (I a frend of a freind is Benidict Gretton, son of Late New Order/Joy Division manager).

Also although Oasis may have played some early gigs in the Hacienda I have no idea where Tony Wilson fits in as I know there was never any connection at all. Tony Wilson's major musical influence is probably letting all his bands doing whay they like creativly.

8. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

How dare you all!
    The man who gave us So It Goes, did the first televised gig of the Sex Pistols.
    He's a legend in his own mind.
    So up his own arse he never sees daylight. An arrogant, self opinionated, know it all tosser. Typical Rags fan.
    Someone tell him about the picture, he's bound to buy it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2005
    Bob McC, Mar 21, 2005
  9. amazingtrade

Don't get me wrong I am fan of Tony Wilson, I hate him so much, he is like Jermey Clarkson, I hate him but idolise him at the same time. Wilson is the same, and I have books by both.

I might email him actually and tell him, and see what he says, I may also ask him about setting up a club night too.

His son once said he has two accents, he is either the posh middle class Cambridge educated boy from Marple, or the working class commoner from Salford.

I find him a bit patronising at gigs when he is always swearing, its like he thinks the audience are all so dim its what we all want to hear. I had the same problem with 24 Four Party People though, I have a vague memory of Rob Gretton, my mums best freind was also very friendly with him (she went to his funeral, Wilson, New Order & co were there) and everybody I have spoke to about him said he never swore like that.

He went to St Beds, a posh privite boys school, so they are all in fact middle class posh boys who manage to create a hard working class image. I guess being posh person didn't really fit into Factory's image, although Pete Saville never pretended to be anything different.

I am a massive fan of Tony Wilson's attitude though, the f**k London attitude is quite simply great, and it produced some of the best bands ever.

10. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

Indeed almost as bad as that tosser Terry Christian who recently admitted on the radio he couldn't be bothered with them at the moment as they weren't likely to win much.

Bob with a statement like that are you a blue by any chance?

lordsummit, Mar 21, 2005
  11. amazingtrade

lordsummit
    I bow to your intuition.
    I'm so bloody old that I saw City win the league at Newcastle, saw Nellie Young score at Wembley, was livid when the Leeds Chelsea cup final replay stopped us seeing the European Cup winners Cup Final win on TV. I saw Malcom Allison first time around and second time around. I cried when Swales drove Rodney Marsh out of the club and Tony Book didn't have the bottle to play him, despite him costing us the league when he was bought. I was behind the goal where denis temporarily backheeled the rags into oblivion, and my celebration nearly got my head kicked in. Most people aren't aware that that match was abandoned after the rags pitch invasion to get it stopped but the result stood. I fell out of love with the Blues temporarily when they appointed that spiv Bond as manager. I stopped going after we lost to Tottenham in the cup final. I still have a soft spot in my heart for them but in general I no longer care for soccer. When you can remember people like Mike Doyle or Nobby Stiles, basically 1 team players who cared about the team, or Maldini today, 1 club in his career then todays journeyman mercenaries don't float yer boat.
    So yes, I am a City fan, but I loathe everything about the rags with a hatred that at times is pathological and unjustifiably irrational, we still owe them for Pardoe, Bell and Haaland.
    I also think Mourinho is almost a God!!!

Bob

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2005
    Bob McC, Mar 21, 2005
  12. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Damn right - to Londoners/SE'ers, Britain doesn't go further than Bristol or Watford. I guess Londoners are all high on exhaust fumes. If it wasn't for MVE in Notting Hill, the Coronet, the Rex, and the few mates I know there (not to mention the GENEROUS provision of escalators everywhere), I'd say nuke the place!

BTW - I love the bit in 24HPP when he's trying to use the brick mobile, and says "It's like listening to a headache". Good old Callnot/Chodabone analog service... ...if that movie's at ALL accurate though, he certainly seemed to know a thing or two about hoovering up coke...

domfjbrown, Mar 22, 2005
  13. amazingtrade

RDD Longterm Lurker

Yeah his place is called "In The City" and is just a couple of units down from mine, some kind of talent scouting music place where newbies go to sign over their souls. Not seen an old Jag, but there is always a new black 535i parked outside - probably his :rds2:

Whats with getting a bus - go for a walk dude, it's only 10mins ;)

RDD, Mar 22, 2005
  14. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

I know just how you feel, my first heartbreak was the Villa goal in 1981, but I've suffered much since. I have a season ticket in the South stand, and have suffered immeasurably since our move to the new ground, football seems to have lost it's soul at the moment. I feel like my team doesn't matter to anyone anymore because of Fergiescum and co. Sky didn't even talk about Keegan on the first phone-in after he was sacked, the bigger news was apparently Robbie the Tosser Savage retiring from Wales.

By the way it was your calling them RAGS that gave it away. Red arrogant gits indeed

lordsummit, Mar 22, 2005
  15. amazingtrade

Lol I often do walk, but I have to get the bus from Piccidilly and I am based on the far end of the campus in Lower Broughton, so it takes me ten minutes just to walk to the Crescent. I have a bus pass so it costs me no more.

If I am in a buidling near the crescent I always walk though especialy in the warmer weather.

amazingtrade, Mar 22, 2005
  16. amazingtrade

RDD Longterm Lurker

Ah, got ya, a lad who works with me walks from Piccadilly and it is a bit of a drag. Always a nice stroll in warmer weather though :)

RDD, Mar 22, 2005
  17. amazingtrade

Lordsummit
    The older generation prefer RAGS to mean Red Arrogant Scum

Bob

Bob McC, Mar 22, 2005
  18. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

Do apologise Bob :)

lordsummit, Mar 22, 2005
  19. amazingtrade