Tony Thompson Drummer of Chic R.I.P.

Discussion in 'General Music' started by SCIDB, Nov 17, 2003.

1. SCIDB

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Tony Thompson, Session drummer & original member of Chic, has past away last Wednesday aged 48. He died from cancer.

He made his name as the drummer of one the greatest disco bands of all time, Chic. Here his hard hitting drumming style along with Nile Rogers guitar & Bernard Edwards bass made their music stand out from the crowd.

He was first put on the road to fame by watching the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show in the 60's. He then decided he wanted to be a pop star. He got his first drum kit in the early teens & developed an aggresive style of playing.

He had his first gigs with Labelle (of Lady Marmalade fame), then Ecstasy, Passion & pain before teaming up with Rogers & Edwards. The band started off playing a mix of R&B mixed in with Rock music. This was the mid 70's. The had a few group names such as Allah & the knife wielding punks, Orange Julius & the Big Apple Band. They became Chic with the addition of two female vocalists. They then tried their hand at disco.

Their first record " Dance Dance Dance" set the scene as they then went from strength to strength. Tunes such as Everybody Dance, I want your love, Le Freak, Good Times, My Forebidden lover & My feet keep dancing kept the dance floors full & Record company happy with big sales.

Le Freak was the biggest selling single for Atlantic at the time.

As their sound proved popular Tony & the boys played on the records of other artists. Sister Sledge, Diana Ross, Shelia B Devotion, were three such artists.

As the disco boom faded, Tony did more session work. He played on records by David Bowie, Madonna, Carly Simon, Duran Duran, Mick Jagger, Robert Palmer & Rod Stewart to name a few. He also was a member of Power Station in the mid 80's.

The hits he has played on include Lets Dance, Like a Virgin, Addicted to Love, Some Like it hot, Modern Love, We are family, Upside down & many more.

He was highly rated as he was allowed to step into John Bonham's shoes to appear with the rest of Led Zepplin at Live Aid.

Even today his music is used by samplers to create dance music.

Fatman Scoop used the Faith Evans sample which uses the Chic sample of Cest Chic. This features the drums of Tony Thompson.

As a big collector of disco music & retro DJ, I have been a fan of Chic since the late 70s. I have many records that he has played on. I have spent many a happy time getting down on the dancefloor. His beat has made my job of getting people dancing alot easier which is always a bonus.

Tony Thompson R.I.P.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 17, 2003
  2. SCIDB

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Very sad news, 48 is too damn young to die. Chic were a great disco band with a seriously good rhythm section, the way they got the drums and bass to lock together is up there with the very best. A superb drummer.

Tony.

TonyL, Nov 17, 2003
  3. SCIDB

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Too many people die too young in the music industry its such a shame. I guess it goes with the job, probably too much drugs and alchohol etc.

I don't know much about Chic but I do some of their songs and I think they are pretty good. I am sure he will be missed by his fans and family.

amazingtrade, Nov 17, 2003
  4. SCIDB

thommo

Rotten, rotten news. He was a top drummer.

Indeed Danny Baker, who really knows his music (despite anyone else's view on him), maintains that Tony Thompson was the best drummer in the world after seeing Chic live in NY in 77 or so.

A sad loss.

thommo, Nov 18, 2003
  5. SCIDB

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Oh man - that's really gutting - 48 and cancer as well - that's VERY depressing... Oddly enough, after rewiring both hifis on Monday, I was playing Chic's "C'est Chic" on 8track last night and getting well into it - he certainly knew how to hit those skins...

The Power Station were kind of cool too, but I never knew that ir was him on Like a virgin - that's got some heavy sounds on the drum track... I don't suppose he played the drums on "White heat" off of Madge's "True Blue" - the riff at the bit where she sings "come on make my day" reminds me of bits in "Like a virgin" - if it IS him drumming that than that would make sense....

Like the others say - 48 is NO AGE to die - that's scary...

...him, Rogers and Edwards were easily the most together of the disco rhythm sections - tracks like "Happy man" are excellent - really tight.

domfjbrown, Nov 19, 2003
Ask a Question