Too many amps / stages ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mygreendog, Jul 12, 2011.

1. mygreendog

mygreendog

Windows PC , Benchmark DAC1 USB , Myryad MP100 / MA120 pre/power , michell mycro, creek phonostage, dynaudio 40's

Running the DAC as a pre-amp into the MA120 sounds loads better than using the Myryad pre-amp , especially detail / soundstage , but this is a bit hopeless as a system - no remote , fiddly switches and I need to change cables over for the turntable ! Has got me thinking that my whole set up is a bit daft - each source has 3 amplifier stages plus the interconnects - no matter how good each stage is this can't be a good hi-fi principle ?

Have quizzed my local hifi shops to no real avail, so would really appreciate any ideas on how to reduce the box count / improve sound quality whilst keeping some practicality ...

mygreendog, Jul 12, 2011
  2. mygreendog

Tenson Moderator

Hmm.. I assume you have tried bypassing the variable output on the Benchmark? Sound still worse via the Myraid preamp?

Then it would suggest your pre-amp is letting the system down.

Perhaps a passive resistive pre-amp is in order. This has no amplifier parts, just switches and a volume control (i.e. a couple of resistors). I think this is basically how the variable output of the Benchmark works, so you could then bypass the variable outputs and use the similar section in the passive pre-amp (which has remote).

Check out the Creek OBH-22.

This does require that your other sources are able to drive such a system, and you can ask Creek about that for the phono stage.

Tenson, Jul 12, 2011
  3. mygreendog

mygreendog

great advice thanks - I hadn't seen the creek passive before. I have used the benchmark on the fixed output & would agree- it's the pre-amp that lets things down , although maybe the power side could also do with an upgrade to get the most from the DAC ?

This might be a bit optimistic - but do you know if there are any options along this line that could let me loose the phono stage and / or power amp as well (maybe some kind of integrated with a bypassable pre-stage and phono stage ??)

mygreendog, Jul 12, 2011
  4. mygreendog

mygreendog

think I might have found some options from creek - their integrated amps have a power amp input for use in AV systems , why anyone would want to use kit this good for watching telly I dont know, but thats another matter.. anyway would I be able to run the benchmark direct into this input , bypassing the preamp section ?

mygreendog, Jul 13, 2011
  5. mygreendog

Tenson Moderator

I think you need to ask that to Creek, but it could well still go through a buffer stage despite not having volume control.

Tenson, Jul 14, 2011
  6. mygreendog

mygreendog

found that the Roksan Kandy K2 has a similar setup - av input that runs straight to the power amp. After a listen at the weekend this what i've gone for - sound quality from the benchmark is really improved with a whole new level of detail , phono stage seems decent as well so top buzz for me at the mo !

mygreendog, Jul 17, 2011
Ask a Question