Too much equipment

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Tianlamb, Apr 28, 2024.

1. Tianlamb

Tianlamb

Hi all,

First time posting in a forum so be gentle with me.

I’m sure like most here- I love listening to music and the tech that goes with it.

And that’s the issue I need help with, I have managed to collect a lot of equipment, and since my dad passed, even more since he was storing my brothers old unwanted hifi as well. It’s great to get ‘new’ (to me) stuff but I’m overwhelmed because I have already have too much. I now have a house with kids and a wife that rightly so, says the gear has to stay in my office- the odd can escape to populate the kitchen and the front room-potentially

So I have compiled a long list, a real mixture- some budget gear, but some hi- end and I want advice on what to keep for what I think I want to do.

I would like for someone, or some ones to say, keep; pair up; get rid etc. like I said, I do have an idea to use some of the equipment in different rooms and with your help, I may be able to persuade the wife that it’s better than the Sonos speakers….that I found in a skip!

If some are worth selling I’d like to put the money toward other things-if some aren’t worth much, is there a charity that takes them?

So is anyone up for this challenge?

I realise I am totally using you for your knowledge- I’m thinking though, this hopefully comes easy to you and not too much effort. I am happy to advise on the things I know- like carpentry, tools and DIY if you wanna trade knowledge.

Thing is, for me to do this alone is too overwhelming- too complex. There’s sentimentality, wanting things to not be obsolete, love of design….love of speakers and amps!! Lack or true knowledge and procrastination…and when I try to research it, going down every rabbit hole known to man!!

I had done a bit of planning when we did renovations to our house- the office is central to the kitchen and front room and connects to both by underground pipes (and strings) to pull wires though from the office to the rooms. I know there’s a lot of wireless but I’m still of the opinion that wires have their place as they can’t break down like a wifi signal.
    So maybe the amp I keep is one that I can wire up to all rooms? The Hacker centurion I thought to put in the front room for head phones and particularly the Technic SL-5 (and the rest of the stack) was my dads so was thinking to keep that in the office for sentimental reasons.
    part of me just thinks- keep the Sonos in the kitchen and front room and do just the record players, one in the office, one in the front room for serious head phone listening. I’m also wondering if the Naim are too good for my house, maybe they should be driving big speakers in a big space and should go to someone who can make full use of them. Or they’re for me, when the wife is out to have an excellent listening experience with some quality speakers that I already have, or can buy. There’s my thoughts- for what they’re worth!!

Tianlamb, Apr 28, 2024
Ask a Question