Top 100 albums...

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Anex, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Anex

Anex Thermionic

Anyone see it? I thought it was a pretty good list really, order was pretty nonsense but thats to be expected. Not sure what Dido was doing in there though. Also Ozzie needs a slap for saying Nirvana was the only significant band of the 90s. Be nice to have seen My Bloody Valentine, RATM and Sonic Youth in there but it was a hell of alot better than the best single thing they did.

Anex, Apr 18, 2005
  2. Anex

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I saw this as well. It's always interesting when these sort of things pop up. It seems that a panel of 'experts' picked 150 album and the channel 4 viewers had to pick their favourites from them.

No real surprises here, just the order I suppose.

The question is, as always, how do you define the greatest albums.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Apr 18, 2005
  3. Anex

Anex Thermionic

I think it depends on how you look at it really, if you take it seriously its pretty rubbish but I just look at it as a whats missing from my record collection type thing. Also exposes people to (potentially) 100 good records they may not have heard before.

Anex, Apr 18, 2005
  4. Anex

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

far too much oasis , not enough led zep, IMO too much beatles (but then i was too young to experience the change in music they brought along), i didnt see any Cure (IMO always better than the Smiths), but then i missed the first part so i could be talkin bolox, and where was Public Enemy?

as ever.

lAmBoY, Apr 18, 2005
  5. Anex

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Or Prince!!!!

Sign of the Times, PRain, etc etc etc

Or GrandMaster Flash and the furious 5!!!

Or Lynard Skynard

Or Natalie Merchant

Or

(fnck it, no one will agree because these top 100 shit lists are always wrong - its a personal thing)

lAmBoY, Apr 18, 2005
  6. Anex

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Public Enemy were at 93.

I have 90 of these records and very few would be in my top 100. If you look at the biggest sellers of all time.

1. "Thriller" - Michael Jackson (54 million)
    2. "Black In Black" - AC/DC (42m)
    3. "Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975" - The Eagles (41m)
    4. "Saturday Night Fever" - (Soundtrack) (40m)
    5. "The Bodyguard" - (Soundtrack) (37m)
    6. "Bat Out Of Hell" - Meat Loaf (37m)
    7. "Dark Side Of The Moon" - Pink Floyd (35m)
    8. "Come On Over" - Shania Twain (35m)
    9. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" - The Beatles (32m)
    10. "Dirty Dancing" - (Soundtrack) (32m)

Only 3 of them made the top ten. Other are quite low down and another 3 didn't feature at all.

It's always going to be a personal thing as to what is the best. With this one, there was no set rules as to what is the best. Only pick your faves from a list of 150.

Prince was in at 56 with sign of the times.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Apr 18, 2005
  7. Anex

SCIDB Moderator

8. Anex

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I am not sure how many of them albums I have not many

I have Dark Side of the Moon, Closer, Queen Is Dead, Different Class, Stone Roses, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Night Fever, Arrival (it was 20p I couldn't resist!!), Automatic For The People, Graceland, Parallel Lines, Park Life.

Also call me cynical but I Thrills and Pills was not a great seller, I am sure a year ago even a lot of people in Manchester hadn't heared of The Happy Mondays, I reckon that only got in their becuase of Bez's new found fame, apparantly the sales off Happy Monday records increased by more than 100% when we went on Z List Big Brother.

Certainly people vote for the most common and the ones which sold the most. Night Fever for example is not the best Bee Gee's album for example a lot thier pre 1970 was simply brilliant but didn't sell anything like as many copies of Night Fever dispite still being a huge sucess.

What is surprising is that virtualy no modern RNB tranny (as in tranistor radio pop) albums appeared on the list. I dont' know how all the big clubs play this stuff, where as a lot of that top 100 stuff is played in smaller 'indie' clubs.

amazingtrade, Apr 18, 2005
  9. Anex

Graham C

Phew blimey, I'm lucky I've only got 7..I can only see about another 5 I would want for free

Graham C, Apr 18, 2005
  10. Anex

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

I didn't see it (no telly at the moment) - is there a posted list somewhere?

Uncle Ants, Apr 18, 2005
  11. Anex

sideshowbob Trisha

The top 10 is completely absurd, although it does give away the demographic of the majority of the voters, I suspect: men, early to mid 30s, occasional Mojo readers, who don't have as good taste as they'd like to think they have, and are a bit deficient on pop music history too.

Radiohead at no. 1 is just plain silly, of course. As is Oasis anywhere in the top 100 at all, let alone twice.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Apr 18, 2005
  12. Anex

Joe

I'd say Q readers rather than Mojo readers. U2 at number two is a dead giveaway. Agree about Radiohead/Oasis. Any list that does not have Iggy and the Stooges in the top ten is fundamentally flawed IMO.

Joe, Apr 18, 2005
  13. Anex

Joe

I have about a quarter of them (24) about five of which I could do without and another ten or so which I would classify as good but certainly not 'top 100' quality. Those I have which I would rate as worthy of inclusion are:

Beatles, all those listed bar the White Album which has a few good tracks but is full of padding
    Rolling Stones Exile on Main Street & Let it Bleed
    Velvet Underground & Nico
    Patti Smith Horses
    Bob Dylan Blood on the Tracks (though at least three Dylan albums are better)
    The Smiths The Queen is Dead.

Joe, Apr 18, 2005
  14. Anex

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Uhuh. Found it on the C4 website. I have 56 of these (but then I'm an occasional mojo reader in his 30s :rolleyes: ). Wouldn't be my top 100 for sure and definitely not my top 10, but actually I don't think its such a bad list. There are some obvious absurdities - Dido, The Strokes, Moby??? and the order may as well come out of a hat (I'd have had Dusty and Curtis in my own top ten), but a lot of these really are good albums. I'm quite surprised. Oasis though ... Hmmmm??

Uncle Ants, Apr 18, 2005
  15. Anex

Anex Thermionic

Like I said, I don't think the order matters, its was bound to be rubbish. They were all good albums of which I have many, and I thought there was some interesting facts on there too.

I think Oasis were just in there because Galagher wouldn't have done the program otherwise. Definately Maybe is a good album but whats the story is dire.

AT: sales don't matter. Pills, Thrills is a great album.

SCIDB: Would you really want to include best of the eagles, shania twain and the bodyguard soundtrack in any top list?!

You can't please all the people all the time! Course there was ommissions. Jeez!

Anex, Apr 18, 2005
  16. Anex

Joe

Presumably Greatest Hits compilations are excluded from consideration for such lists? Some artists made great singles and atrocious albums, because all the band members get the chance to have a song or three on an album however minimal their talents. For example, no Abba album should get anywhere near a Top 1000 chart because all much contain unlistenable dreck along with the gems.

Joe, Apr 18, 2005
  17. Anex

ErikfH

SCIDB - Was wondering where you get the number of sales from. Is there perhaps a webtsite that shows such an overview?

ErikfH, Apr 18, 2005
  18. Anex

greg Its a G thing

I thought there were both pleasant and unpleasant surprises regards albums included. As a prog, quite enjoyable to watch, unlike many similar ones - I particularly enjoyed the extreme contrasts.

greg, Apr 18, 2005
  19. Anex

Joe

I didn't watch it; I usually find such programes are ruined by the talking heads who pop up after ten seconds of music to say something that redefines the term 'bleedin' obvious'.

Joe, Apr 18, 2005
  20. Anex

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Apr 18, 2005
Ask a Question