top 100 number ones

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Zoomer, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Zoomer

Zoomer

did any one actaully bother to watch this for 4 hours last night?

I watched till about 70 or 60 and got bored of the crap. maby their where better numbers one but i missed them.

Zoomer, Nov 10, 2003
  2. Zoomer

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i had it on my remotes 'back' button for advert breaks in other programmes. it was ok but i did sit through it when it was on before over 2 nights (i think that was arround last new years day or something).
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 10, 2003
  3. Zoomer

MartinC Trainee tea boy

MartinC, Nov 10, 2003
  4. Zoomer

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Had it on, but didn't really pay too much attention.

"Imagine" was number one btw.

MO!, Nov 10, 2003
  5. Zoomer

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Just nosing around the other 100 greatest lists, and spotted that the 100 greatest "TV treats of 2003" (which is pretty desperate to start with), has a list of only 74 nominations for you to vote on :D.

MartinC, Nov 10, 2003
  6. Zoomer

michaelab desafinado

The trouble with all these "Greatest 100" lists is that they tend to be "Greatest 100 <films/singles/etc> of the last 5 years plus about 10 of the really memorable ones from before then". A browse through the Channel 4 Greatest 100 hits list proves my point - massively stacked in favour of the last 5 years or so.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 10, 2003
  7. Zoomer

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Agreed. The list of nominations is usually pretty limited too, meaning the content of the top 100 is pretty much decided from the outset. They had an online poll for the hundred greatest musicals recently, which will presumeably be on TV at some point in the future. The list was massively dominated by film musicals (presumeably as it makes better TV) but there are some stage musicals as well so I thought I'd vote for my personal favourite which is Miss Saigon. No chance. I could vote for Muppets take Manhatten though :rolleyes: .

MartinC, Nov 10, 2003
  8. Zoomer

Zoomer

i think also one of the problems in this case is a hell of a lot of good songs never make it to the top spot.

i think this is mainly down to the die rate of single purchases the last time I got one I must of been at uni probally cos I coudnt afford a album. IMHO its only teens and younger that actually get singles anymore and an dippy girls (no offence).

Zoomer, Nov 10, 2003
  9. Zoomer

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I watched some of that program but got bored and had to be up at 7:00am in the morning. It was a repeat and I have seen it before anyway. The highlight of the program has to be Neilsson. He must have been 50 when he made that single. Imagine a 50 year old computer expert getting a number one now?

Some of the best artists ever have had few number ones or not even on. A good example would be Joy Division's "Love will tear us apart" that song is pretty will known in the USA and is still a great club hit here in Manchester yet it only charted at number 9 in the UK charts in 1980 and that was due to Ian Curtis's death.

Its also quite shocking that REM never had a number one hit.

amazingtrade, Nov 10, 2003
  10. Zoomer

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I was doing okay with it until the death knells...

firstly chris de burgh 'lady in red'

then pet shop boys 'west end girls'

ENOUGH OF THE SHITE ALREADY!! I said, and turned it off...
    What song/s made other people retch?

bottleneck, Nov 10, 2003
  11. Zoomer

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Yeah but come on, PSB's West end girls is Beethoven compared to shite like Coolio, Fugees and that bleedingly insipid awful Shitney Whoreston track...

OH NO! Black Box made it into the list.... :chunder:

My housemate was trying to tell me (80s tune fetishist here!) that it was "Right on time" and would accept no other answer - until I showed him the track listing on "Greatest hits of the 80s".... He he he... Awful use of sampling too - if you want REAL sampling technique, look no further than Jack'n'Chill's "The jack that house built"...

domfjbrown, Nov 11, 2003
  12. Zoomer

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Some of the Fugees stuff aint too bad IMO. I think I first heard their version of "Killing me softly" on John Peel! I could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure about that one. Lauren Hill has a sometime amazing voice, and Wyclef's voice aint too bad either. I think they just got to a point where they were being pushed so much (radio/MTV overkill) they became annoying.

Was never really a Coolio fan, but the MOral behind *that* tune is fair enough. The aMOunt of kids who watch Gangster films, and listen to certain hip hop, and grow up wanting to be "in da hood" because it's so cool, is scary. Been there, done that MOself (ends up with best mate getting put away for armed robbery). I think that tune was trying to say "yeah it looks cool, but **** living with the threat of being shot at for real".

Just a shame the point seemed to be lost, and *the kids* no doubt just see it as another cool bit of Gangsterism (is that a word ):confused:

I whole heartedly agree with you on Shitney!

And don't get me wrong! I'm no Coolio fan either!

MO!, Nov 11, 2003
  13. Zoomer

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I actually don't mind that Coolio track to be fair, but the Fugees - nah, hate the original AND the cover of "Killing me softly" - awful. "Ready or not"'s an ok track though.

Did the Birdie Song make it into the list (I hope not!!!?)

domfjbrown, Nov 12, 2003
  14. Zoomer

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

The Bee Gee's were featured but Night Fever is probably one of the worst Bee Gee's songs. Its good to dance too when drunk but it lacks all the emotion of a lot of their early stuff and rarer stuff. Also the worst New Order song ever was featured!

amazingtrade, Nov 12, 2003
  15. Zoomer

Bill Phabb

at least Firestarter made te list

Bee Gees got a number one?

Bill Phabb, Nov 12, 2003
  16. Zoomer

SCIDB Moderator

Hi

I watched some of this on Sunday. I think I got to Stevie Wonder "I just called to say I lived you" before I jumped ship. I had seen some of this programme before.

Not so with the Greatest No1 singles list. Most of the 100 were over 10 years old. I think, of top of my head, there are only 14 tracks that are 10 years old or younger.

Downside of a number of recent number ones is that they are only around for a short length of time. Short chart life. Also a number of these tunes have featured in films, TV/ radio ads, been karoke faves, been pub/club singer faves, played alot a weddings & parties & featured alot at various retro nights. Some have had heavy radio play for years on various radio stations.

Harry Nilsson was about 30 when he made without you. He didn't look that old. :eek: It a good chance that film clip was from a performance years after he recorded the song.

I agree but this song is a wedding/ end of party favourite, hence it's position in the chart.

There are loads worst songs in the chart than this. It's no bad. It is one of the Pet shop Boys better songs.

I don't think the Coolie song is that bad. In a way it was ground breaking. It was the first rap song with a social statement of ghetto life to get to No1. It uses a very good Stevie Wonder tune as it's sampled base, Pastime Paradise. The tune & rap were haunting & did stand out. It was big on radio & in the clubs at the time.

The Fugees did produce a big album, The Score, & received big radio & Tv play of the "softly" tune. I quite liked this one. I did play them a lot around that time. Very popular with the masses.

I agree that the Whitney Housten track is not a favourite. I just don't like the song. She can do better. Check out her mother for good singing.

I have to disagree here. It came out at the right time to hit the top spot. Not the best disco tune but it is musically tight & catchy. Some of the Bee gees early stuff is very good but not all was really better than the stuff around the mid to late 70's. Main Course, Children of the world & Saturday Night fever were albums that showed a change in style & kick started their then flagging careers. They went down a more RnB path.

I have made quite a few 'bob' out of the Bee Gees so they are alright with me. :cool:

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 12, 2003
  17. Zoomer

HenryT

Who's her mother, do we know her? Or could it be that you're talking about her aunt, if it's who I think you're talking about? :)

HenryT, Nov 12, 2003
  18. Zoomer

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Henry,

Her mother is Cissy Houston. You may not have herad of her but if you like classic 60's Atlantic soul, you may have heard her voice.

She started off as Emily Drinkard and sang in a gospel group called the Drinkard singers with her nieces Dionne Warwick & Dee Dee Warwick. The group had various members & they drifted into the soul/pop field.

By the early to mid 60s this group was appearing on a number of classic soul records on the Atlantic label. They were signed as an act to Atlantic in 1967 & called The Sweet Inspirations.

She left the group in 1970 & went solo. She hasn't hit the big time like her daughter Whitney or niece Dionne but she has worked constantly for many years. She has been a indemand soul singer for many stars & records.

She has appeared on records (or cds) by Aretha franklin, Wilson Pickett, Paul Simon, Van Morrison, Bette Midler, Roberta Flack, Greg Allman, Joe Cocker, Judy Collins, Kiki Dee, Bob Dylan, The Neville Brothers, Chaka khan, J Giels Band, Wishbone Ash, Luther Vandross, Beyonce & Whitney Houston, to name a few.

Cissy has a excellent gospel/soul voice which at times sound very much like Whitney's. She has cut some very good solo soul stuff as well including at excellent version of the Bacharach & David song 'I just don't know what to do with myself' & the original version of ' Midnight train to Georgia.'

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 13, 2003
  19. Zoomer

michaelab desafinado

Sounds like someone PBirkett would get on well with :D

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 13, 2003
  20. Zoomer

thommo

Best/easiest job in the world?

Being the bloke who says "One time" on that Fugees track.

Money for jam.

The only thing I'd say about the choice is the decision to limit it to "one per customer". Which is patently absurd. The Beatles + Elvis had loads of number 1's which were better than some/loads/possibly most of the others that they have in there.

Can anyone think of an argument as to why "No Matter What" by Boyzone deserves to be classed in the top 100 ahead of any of the tracks on "Ticket To Ride" or "Paperback Writer"? I know they had to draw the line somewhere otherwise ther list'd be made up of less than 30 artists, but it didin't induce me to persevere with watching it.

thommo, Nov 13, 2003
Ask a Question