Townshend Isolda speaker cable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Pure_Carbon, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Pure_Carbon

Pure_Carbon Diamond Tipped.

I'm lucky to have just bought a pair of these s/h off the Wigwam.
    Have wired them into the system, and all I can say is the difference is jawdropping.
    No placebo effect here, the sound is so "right" , everything seems faster , not brighter, it's all very natural.
    Can't wait to get my arm back from being rewired, and spin some Vinyl :D

Pure_Carbon, Mar 31, 2009
  2. Pure_Carbon

shrink

i quite like the isolda and im sure you'll love it, its very musical. However, not sure i could live with it every day, its a little too coloured for my liking. Talented though it is, smooth, with fantastic bass reach and cleanness of midband, theres just always the feeling something is missing, esspecially at the top end.

Heard it back to back against kimber 8TC and found the 8TC to be more revealing, more open, and ultimately more neutral. Whereas at the same time the chord signature was painfully bright and hard in the midband, the 8TC struck the perfect balance for me that day.

However, in the right system the isolda can work wonders. In a a system made from bel canto and monitor audio speakers, it balances off my mates system nicely, and creates a clean, rich sound that he enjoys.

Ultimately though, i find the top end just too rolled off and the bass a bit too plummy for long term ownership.

shrink, Mar 31, 2009
  3. Pure_Carbon

peez

made my system come together- i love the stuff with my sugden a21ai and zingalis, I use the i/c's also, with missing link ref pwr cable's - which are also dct, so again, i think synergy is the thing

peez, Apr 4, 2009
  4. Pure_Carbon

eisenach

I've just bought some Sig off that place. In my system it's quite the opposite of how you describe it. I find it smooth, detailed (but not chuck-it-in-your-face detail) with excellent bass and a midband that makes clarinettes and saxes a delight. Mind you, it is replacing NVA LS5, which is great, but just a bit too brightly lit and exciting! Just goes to shew what a lottery it all is, with quite different results with different equipment, rooms etc. (not to mention ears!)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2009
    eisenach, Apr 5, 2009
  5. Pure_Carbon

hifinutt

yes very true. as shrink says different cable sound different with various piecs of kit. I very much like the townshend dct interconnect but haven`t been able to try the speaker cable in my current set up [have tried before with arcam and dynaudio and it was too bright for me]

hifinutt, Apr 12, 2009
  6. Pure_Carbon

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Heard good things about Isolda, in that it appears to be one of the few cables that (almost) always makes your system sound different in some (not necessarily better) way.

Expensive stuff though.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Apr 14, 2009
  7. Pure_Carbon

shrink

That to me is just a huge indication of a cable that is clearly very coloured in its presentation. Not what i look for in a conduit. For me a cable should be as close to neutral as is possible. If you want to add character, do it elsewhere in a system.

shrink, Apr 14, 2009
  8. Pure_Carbon

SMEagol Because we wants it...

oof wrong thread sorry!

SMEagol, Apr 14, 2009
  9. Pure_Carbon

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

this is interesting -

(from the Goertz site)

https://secure.mawebcenters.com/websites/goertzaudio/flatwire.html

Low inductance—at the heart of the GOERTZ story, this patented design delivers measurably improved sonic performance over other cable designs—this cable is so accurate that it has been adopted be National laboratories and leading manufacturers for the power supply of pulsed laser systems.

bottleneck, Apr 14, 2009
Ask a Question