Townshend Rock

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by white-socks, Feb 16, 2010.

1. white-socks

white-socks

Hi,

I've recently bought a Townshend Rock turntable, I think it's a Rock II. I really look forward to hearing the Rock soon.

Any Rock users here? Will like to hear what your exp was with the Rock.

Thanks.

white-socks, Feb 16, 2010
  2. white-socks

Mark P

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2010
    Mark P, Feb 16, 2010
  3. white-socks

Rocket 88

Hi..
    I have just part-exed my Cranfield Rock for a Townsend Mk 2 like yours.
    I havent fired it up yet but the Decca Gold which I had in a Morch Uni 4 on the earlier Cranfield Rock will go into a Rega RB300 on the mk2 and then into the Morch (which I retained).
    Thus I will know where the Mk2 stands in relation to the Cranfield (the original model with the bellows suspension and massive bearing).
    I ha adthe Cranfield for 20 years and it was a magnificent beast. I am hopeful the Mk 2 will come reasonably close. It excelled in the bass and the damping system helps with lively carts such as the Decca. Quite a few hifi pros use this combo. Ive heard that max Townsend used a Decca and a Dyna DV23mk3 in the Rock and also that the Rega is a good,inexpensive, match for it.
    Further, I emailed a MK2 owner who was selling his Rock and, separately, the Roksan Nima unipivot, and he said they were an excellent match.
    Jack

Rocket 88, Feb 19, 2010
  4. white-socks

white-socks

That's my Rock in the crossover Network:)

Yeah I know, there are plenty of Rock fans over on the cross N.

white-socks, Feb 19, 2010
  5. white-socks

Mark P

The RB300 is good but a modified 250/251 is better. Of course if you're going to use the Morch in the long term you'll be fine.

J7 of Audio Origami sells excellent Silicone fluid and bearing oil which I can heartily recommend for use in your Rock II.

I nearly bought a Cranfield Rock s/h some months ago. Max told me that for £600 (IIRC) he could fit a Rock Reference bearing and change the motor to accommodate available belts and with those modifications it would be up with the Rock Reference.

I used a 3D seismic sink under my Rock III to good effect. I'll sure it would improve a Rock II. How heavy is the Rock II?

Mark P, Feb 19, 2010
  6. white-socks

white-socks

I'm not sure how heavy my Rock II is? Guessing maybe 9-10kg.

7. white-socks

white-socks

Last night we put the Roksan Tabriz Zi tonearm on the Rock. Just for now I can say that this a very nice enjoyable turntable.

Ask a Question