Townshend

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tarzan, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Tarzan

Tarzan

Has anyone on the forum have experience of the Townshend DCT speaker and interconnect,if so what do they sound like,as l may get a set,thanks for any help.:

Tarzan, Jul 16, 2007
  2. Tarzan

Couperin

The Townshend Isolda DCTs are pretty neutral and transparent, so you get all the qualities of the recording coming through. Don't know about the DCT300s.

With the Isoldas, if the recording is full-bodied, warm, airy, light, or whatever, that's what you get. On the downside, if the recording is lousy, it stays lousy, warts and all.

Try to borrow a pair and listen to your system with them in place, if you can. I got mine used on eBay and saved the burning in time and a packet in cash. You could buy a pair on eBay just to try, because you can always resell without losing much if you decide against them. The internconnects usually go for £70-£100 per pair. Speaker cables vary a lot more, depending on length.

I do hope that I don't live to regret replying to your post. The cable naysayers are so ready to descend on anyone who thinks that cables do matter.

Couperin, Jul 16, 2007
  3. Tarzan

Czechchris

I also use Townshend cables, and I found them to be extremely neutral, as Couperin says. There are two i/c's the dct 100 and dct 300.

Also Townshend will send you a set on a sale or return basis, so you can audition them yourself.

I have dct300 from cdp to preamp, and pre to power amps, and Isolda speaker cable. It's hard to describe, but it just sounds "right". One set of i/c's were from ebay, the rest from Townshend directly.

They are based at Hampton Court. www.townshendaudio.com

Czechchris, Jul 16, 2007
  4. Tarzan

zanash

isn't life strange ...

I've just been given a set of isolda arm cables to replug....is this representative of the rest of the range ?

I was rather taken aback by the construction I was expecting more !...2x ptfe tubes with four or five strands of 0.2mm dia copper [wire wrap?] in each ...covered with a braid and nylon weave jacket, per channel, construction is top notch throughout though ....

zanash, Jul 16, 2007
  5. Tarzan

Couperin

Correction to earlier post:

I should have said that I don't know about DCT100s - my typing gets worse!

I have Isolda DCT300 throughout and would recommend them if you like the sort of thing that I described above, but I do say again: try before you buy.

Couperin, Jul 16, 2007
  6. Tarzan

Czechchris

Czechchris, Jul 16, 2007
  7. Tarzan

hifinutt

tarzan I love the dct 300 in my cyrus set up, very clear and detailed and sometimes on ebay and audiofile candy.
    the speaker cable is not ,imho very robust and providing you can protect it from prying hands and feet you will be fine. if not be warned its as soft as a babies bum!!!

hifinutt, Jul 16, 2007
  8. Tarzan

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i had isolda when i used naim amps and found them to be ok but a little congested at the top end. chord odyssey 2 is what i use currently but only cos i had it lying around when i sold the isolda for silly money.

julian2002, Jul 16, 2007
  9. Tarzan

Stereo Mic

I use it but it would be the first thing to go if I needed to free up some cash. It's not worth spending more than 10% of your total budget on cables. So a DCT300 and some Isolda might be worthwhile in a system costing five figures.

Stereo Mic, Jul 16, 2007
  10. Tarzan

AlexTaylor

Speaker Cable = Ace
    Interconnects = Not so ace

IMO

AlexTaylor, Jul 16, 2007
Ask a Question