Transparent Wave 100 speaker cable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nbaptista, May 12, 2006.

1. nbaptista

nbaptista

Hi,
    First my system:Epos M 15,Densen B 110,Naim CD 5.I used to have Qed Silver Anniversary,but other day I get a Transparent Demo speaker cable.Unlike Qed that was a bit hard and bright,Wave 100 is smooth and very musical!The differences in speaker cable are subtle unlike i/c.I wonder if anyone of you have experience with Transparent and can enlighten me.
    Thanks in advance!

nbaptista, May 12, 2006
  2. nbaptista

Tenson Moderator

If you like them, then use them and don't let anyone say otherwise.

However my thoughts go like this. They use filters in the cable (kind of like a crossover) to change the sound. If you have to resort to this to make it sound good to your ears, my suggestion (without wanting to be rude) would be that the problem is not your speaker cables but the rest of your system choices.

Tenson, May 12, 2006
  3. nbaptista

nbaptista

I see!I'm having only a demo,I didn't buy yet the cables.But there is no doubt that the sound is much more smooth with the Transparent!

nbaptista, May 12, 2006
  4. nbaptista

Tenson Moderator

My experience of Naim CD players is that they have a tad bit of distortion in the treble, which can lead to a harsh sound. I heard the very top end one and one at Robs, which had less but still a little bit.

A valve output CD player might give you a smoother top end.

Have a demo of the Shangling T-100 or T-200 (or 3D Sonics modded ones if you are in the UK). There are also many other valve output CD players others can suggest I bet.

Tenson, May 12, 2006
  5. nbaptista

nbaptista

Exactly.That harshness(harsh sound) comes from the Naim cd player,but the Transparent clears (or eliminate)that harshness.BTW,I´m in Portugal.

nbaptista, May 13, 2006
  6. nbaptista

Tenson Moderator

It doesn't eliminate it, it just filters off some off the treble (I think) so you don't hear it as much. Far better not to have that harshness at all, no?

Tenson, May 13, 2006
  7. nbaptista

nbaptista

OK,I see!Thank you for your help.I will have more three or four days to test the system with the Trasparent.Then I will decide if I buy it or no!

nbaptista, May 13, 2006
  8. nbaptista

Tenson Moderator

As I said, have a listen to a CD player with a valve (tube) output stage. You can still buy the cables later if you choose to.

Tenson, May 13, 2006
  9. nbaptista

RobHolt Moderator

The only problem with using tubes on the output of a CD player is that designers invariably string them onto the end of the existing SS output stage. This does nothing but add distortion of a different kind because you are simply adding another gain stage (albeit unity in most cases).

The correct way to use tubes in a CD player would be to use them in place of the discrete or OP amp based output stage - not in addition to it. If the Shanling players have a real tube output stage then definitely hear them.

Naim CD players are a little more forthright and 'in your face' than most. Perhaps you simply chose the wrong player?

I agree with Simon re the cables, chuck out the filters!

RobHolt, May 13, 2006
  10. nbaptista

nbaptista

Reject the filters?But why they design the cable with the filters?I think the filters improve the signal!

nbaptista, May 13, 2006
  11. nbaptista

Tenson Moderator

As I said if you like them then good.

But, you asked for advice and that is to cure the problem, not cover it up with a filter. All a filter will do is remove part of the signal and that includes the music. My advice is that the CD player is probably not to your taste, so try another.

Tenson, May 13, 2006
  12. nbaptista

nbaptista

I see,the cable must be neutral,the filter influence the overall results.
    Well ,as I said before,I've got more three or four days to test the cable

nbaptista, May 13, 2006
  13. nbaptista

Tenson Moderator

Keep it for the three days then try the CD player. Choose which is better!

Tenson, May 13, 2006
  14. nbaptista

Elberoth

Transparent's cables cut off frequency is 100k Hz. Waaay outside the audible range.

Elberoth, May 14, 2006
  15. nbaptista

RobHolt Moderator

That will depend on how the cable is used, source and load impedances etc, etc.

"Cut off" also means nothing without context. How far down is it at 100khz? - 3db, -6db, more?

RobHolt, May 14, 2006
  16. nbaptista

nbaptista

This morning,when I turn on the amplifier,it did a huuuuuummmmm.What possible did happen?Possibly a bad contact with the cables?The cables I'm having a demo are not terminated with Banana plugs,it is "forquilhas"

nbaptista, May 14, 2006
  17. nbaptista

nbaptista

The cables are not so smooth!The Naim source remains the characteristics like beeing "little more forthright and 'in your face' than most."My initial impression was that the cable was giving a smoother sound,but not anynore.The sound is forward and dynamic,like it has to be.

nbaptista, May 14, 2006
  18. nbaptista

Tenson Moderator

Has it changed or are you just listening more carefully?

Tenson, May 14, 2006
  19. nbaptista

nbaptista

No didn´t changed but I´m listening more carefully.But there is no doubt that Qed sounds harder and bright!That´s why I thought that Transparent might interfer with the signal!

nbaptista, May 14, 2006
  20. nbaptista

nbaptista

I had a impedance problem with the Transparent ,so I will not anymore buy it:( My amplifier did a Hummm for several times!So Í´m looking for alternatives.What you think about Kimber 8 TC?Or even Atlas Hyper 3.0?

nbaptista, May 19, 2006
Ask a Question