Transparent Wave 100 speaker cable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nbaptista, May 12, 2006.

1. nbaptista

Tenson Moderator

I think you need to try another CD player. Cables only make so much difference.

Tenson, May 19, 2006
  2. nbaptista

ROAM ROAM

Martin Colloms reviewed it in the 8/98 issue of HiFi News/RR and recommended it.
    I've tried many cables over the years and have found speaker cable is influenced by the system it is used in for better or worse. But generally speaking, after listening through Townshend Isolda DCT, now my all-time personal favourite (most natural sounding with superbly sweet treble & the best depth of image I have heard, it turns a HiFi sound into music) everything boils down to a matter of personal taste/preference. That includes Chord Signature & even the mighty Valhalla. But if Isolda DCT is too expensive nothing comes close to the Chord Odyssey - it is the best value £ for £ speaker cable - nothing comes close :D
    Hope this helps.

ROAM, May 23, 2006
  3. nbaptista

nbaptista

Yep,I heard about Chord Odyssey.It seems a good cable.What you think about Kimber 8 TC?

nbaptista, May 23, 2006
  4. nbaptista

ROAM ROAM

8tc

I found 8 TC to be V.Good but more system dependent than the Chord. I found the Chord to have less character and a bit more of everything, bass, clarity & insight. As well as a much smoother less spot-lit treble than the Kimber. However what made me settle for the Chord was its ability to always sound good in any system, allowing me to upgrade the rest of my system and not have to worry about matching the cable to my new components.

But if you believe you get the same results with your Kimber stick with it !! :D

ROAM, May 26, 2006
  5. nbaptista

nbaptista

Roam,
    I change my mind,now I´m looking after Chord cables. I don´t want to bi-wire my speakers,but the dealer told me that for my system the Odissey 4 was better,even if I don´t want to bi-wire.Do you use Odyssey 2 or 4?Did you find any differences between the two?What are the differences.Let me know,please.
    My system Densen B 110/Epos M 15

nbaptista, May 27, 2006
  6. nbaptista

ROAM ROAM

Forget bi-wire it's not a logical

I have the original Chord Odyssey, the Odyssey 2 put a jacket around to help reduce it's susceptibility to RFI. Some people think this may have a small detrimental effect on sound quality (maybe, but I can't hear any difference in my system, so don't care).
    The Odyssey 4 is the 2, it has 2 extra cables inside the jacket as it's bi-wire, hence the name Odyssey 4. Give the 4 (or 2 ) a try in your system but if you can afford to bi-wire, then you should forget it & save up a little more for single wire of Townshend Isolda DCT, which to me is the next logical & final up-grade as far as speaker wire is concerned. Let me know how it goes.

ROAM, Jun 11, 2006
  7. nbaptista

COOLGUY

I have quite a problem with my cable.. was a real cable nihilist really, tried a Neotech biwire NS1456 cable. /Neotech is Taiwanese, quite complicated website. my cable can be found on www.highend.cz, choose English flag, Price lists, Neotech.
    my first "high end"cable, I have a Vincent s3 CDP. A bit bright, but was not a problem on my old cables.
    the vocals were dull, so I bought the new cable. About 240GBP equivalent, but a lot of money in my country/cca half of average monthly wage, so more than it looks in pounds sterling/
    the cable made vocals very good, but violins and high treble in opera vocals almost intolerably bright and shrill... not just a bit, but really a lot.
    and I have bought the cable.. didnt have patience to try others:(
    my question is:
    - is it a more true cable, and I am hearing the "true" sound of my system for the first time, or
    - the cable blows up the treble?
    thanx for advice.
    Re the "filters in cable", as Tenson wrote, "they use filters in cables".. you mean, the capacitance, inductance etc is a de facto filter. You do not mean, they actually build a x over in there? sorry for silli question, thanx

COOLGUY, Jun 13, 2006
  8. nbaptista

COOLGUY

follow up question.
    Cables, can by principle can only be "low pass filters?" they can cut off treble.
    they should not really be able to ADD anything?

COOLGUY, Jun 13, 2006
  9. nbaptista

nbaptista

That´s exactly the experience I´m having with the Audioquest Type 4.The sound of the cd player is much more straightforward and direct with the AQ Type 4.
    The cables can modify the sound in such a way I didn´t realized before

nbaptista, Jun 14, 2006
  10. nbaptista

Tenson Moderator

I don't mean to sound rude, but you are obsessed with cables! Cables can only make so much difference... They can't cure world hunger and bring peace to earth, neither can they fix a problem which was there from the start. They can only cover it up. Just replace the CD player and the problem will go away completely I suspect.

Tenson, Jun 14, 2006
  11. nbaptista

Tenson Moderator

Sorry just saw this. Yes, I meant they actually build an xover in there. That’s what the little black box on Transparent cables is very likely to be!

Why don't ya sell your cable and talk Zanash in to making you a nice price interconnect? You should have money left over and if it still sounds too bright you know it is the equipment, not the cable.

Tenson, Jun 14, 2006
  12. nbaptista

nbaptista

Yes,that is the diagnosis

nbaptista, Jun 14, 2006
  13. nbaptista

ROAM ROAM

I don't mean to be rude either but...

'Just replace the CD player and the problem will go away completely I suspect' What world hunger and the chance for peace on earth ?

I agree they can only make so much difference but you can spend £1000's on a CD Player but you won't hear its full potential if it is being masked by some bell-wire, its a Chicken & Egg situation.
    Which do you buy 1st the cable or your next component? I know what I would do & it's probably quite different to you.:SLEEP:

ROAM, Jun 14, 2006
  14. nbaptista

nbaptista

The Audioquest Type 4 is a fine cable!

nbaptista, Jun 14, 2006
  15. nbaptista

Tenson Moderator

I'm afraid I have no such dilemma. I believe a piece of £3.49 a meter cable from Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=131&doy=14m6)is all that’s needed for any level of equipment. You do get some strange cables though, like the one Rob just got, which strangle the sound. As long as it is a 'suitable' cable though, (i.e. no strange electrical characteristics) it is good enough for any hi-fi. If you can't get the system sounding good through that, then no cable will save it. Once you have the system sounding good through that though, sure why not try a few 'better' cables.

Tenson, Jun 14, 2006
  16. nbaptista

RobHolt Moderator

I'm now using Musiflex cable throughout my system and it sounds excellent - no 'sound' at all in fact which is just what you would expect from something electrically benign. This stuff is an absolute bargain at £0.72pm yep 72p!!

Audiophiles should order the Blue version which looks just like expensive Chord stuff - you can pretend it is and none of your friends will ever know ;)

Here's one I made earlier complete with Centronics plugs - identical to those found on most Chord cables - total cost £10

[​IMG]

http://www.connectronics.uk.com/Musiflex.htm

RobHolt, Jun 15, 2006
Ask a Question