Transport for Chord DAC64

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bobbybrown, Jan 15, 2004.

1. bobbybrown

bobbybrown

Any suggestions for a transport for my newly acquired Chord DAC64.

Current equipment:
    Meridian 206b as transport
    DAC64
    Michell Argo preamp
    MF A300cr power amp
    Dynaudio Contour 3.3 speakers
    Cables - varied and subject to current review, including QED Genesis speaker cable, Silver Spiral interconnect, and Nordost digital and optical connections to the DAC (optical preferred at the moment).

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanx

Bobbybrown

bobbybrown, Jan 15, 2004
  2. bobbybrown

SCIDB Moderator

Hi BobbyBrown,

I too own a Chord Dac64. I use a Tag transport with mine. I have found that transports do make a difference to the overall sound. I have recently tried the new Chord Blu transport with it to very good effect. (I will be posting a review very soon). The downside is that it's £4300.

The Tag works very well with it. I also tried a Audionet Art cd player as a transport which was an improvement but not a big one. The Chord BLU was. I have a older dac so the newer versions may offer a bigger improvement still.

Another option is to tweak up your transport or buy another transport to tweak. You may be able to pick up a Tag transport quite cheaply.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jan 15, 2004
  3. bobbybrown

MO! MOnkey`ead!

MO!, Jan 15, 2004
  4. bobbybrown

michaelab desafinado

Dean, looking forward to your review of the Blu :)

BobbyBrown, I would second the advice given here. The old Tag CDT20R can be had for not too much money. Older Teac VRDS players and transports also respond well to tweaking (I use a Teac VRDS-T1 myself with a Clock4 and PSU from Trichord) and they don't cost the earth.

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 15, 2004
  5. bobbybrown

ditton happy old soul

(I'm beginning to behave like an old record here, but) I happen to have a Meridian 602 I have surplus to requirements since I tracked down a 'modded' Transcend to go with my AS Dax Decade.

I hold it in very high regard, as did those who recommended that I get it, and stereophile. I leave it to the dogs of awe to tell you whether it would serve your dac well.

Make me an offer ...

(no box, nor manual, but it was part of an upgrade p/x from one careful owner - and I bought it from the p/x dealer)

ditton, Jan 15, 2004
Ask a Question