Transport Recommendations anyone?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by shrink, Jun 18, 2007.

1. shrink

shrink

Ive just upgraded my system to:

Cyrus DAC-X and Bel Canto S300iu Amplifier, and im now left thinking about transports.

For now im using a Cyrus DAD3 (via optical connection :() as a transport, but im going to experiment with a Pioneer DV-515 i have downstairs to see if it can better the Cyrus. May even see if i can do a few mods to the casework and transport to make them a bit more sturdy and less flimsy.

However i wonder if anyone can recommend any seriously good transports for CD audio that wont break the bank.

Thoughts of something like a Meridian 500 were interesting. A good friend of mine owns a new meridian G98 audio transport and it sounds simply stunning, i havent heard any digital transport yet that betters it.

I realise im not going to get that kind of performance within my limited budget, but a suggestion of good performance from a reasonably priced unit would be nice.

So options that ive been able to narrow down include:

-Meridian 500
    -Teac VRDS based transports
    -Pioneer stable platter based players, lightly modded
    -Denon DVD-2900 (to satisfy my video and audio demands perhaps)

shrink, Jun 18, 2007
  2. shrink

julian2002 Muper Soderator

cec belt drive transports are very good and their price fluctuates wildly due to their made in china nature. if they currently have a uk distributor then official ones are pricey. however if they don;t or you can get hold of one direct from china (see cattylink possibly) then they can be very cheap for what they are.
    you may also want to take a look at various modified squeezebox or similar hdd based solutions - this is what i eventually went for and i'd not go back to a traditional transport now.

julian2002, Jun 18, 2007
  3. shrink

Effem Cable manufacturer

I went last week from a CEC TL51X belt drive transport to a Stello CDT200 transport and that was a big surprise. The CEC is no slouch by any means, but the Stello is in another class entirely.

Select Audio
    10 School Drive Flimby, Maryport Cumbria CA15 8PL, UK
    Tel: (44)1900 813064
    Email : [email protected]

Effem, Jun 18, 2007
  4. shrink

mr cat Member of the month

hi - where did you get the stello from ,and how much..?

cheers

mr cat, Jun 18, 2007
  5. shrink

Effem Cable manufacturer

I bought it secondhand from a very nice chap on Hi Fi For Sale for £200 plus postage. It was advertised at £300 for a while with no takers, which really did surprise me.

Effem, Jun 18, 2007
  6. shrink

JANDL100

I recently changed from a Pioneer 505 stable platter Tom Evans-tweaked CDP (used as a CDT) to a Teac VRDS10SE used as a CDT (£300 on Hififorsale) - I am most pleased with the upgrade. I peeked inside the Teac - wow - it's seriously well built, no flimsy plastic stuff here !

JANDL100, Jun 18, 2007
  7. shrink

shrink

the VRDS-10 definately appeals to me... looks like a battleship in build quality.

shrink, Jun 18, 2007
  8. shrink

teaseme

never thought much of the Meridian 500 - flat sounding - have just acquired an Audiomeca Mephisto (mk 1) fantastic as a transport, vinyl tt like sound & operation, bought as faulty, only works with the lid off (is a top loader), with lid down says there's 'no disc' ! - can anyone recommend a good cd repairer as this needs a service & i'd love to restore it - absolutely beautiful sounds & looks.

teaseme, Jun 20, 2007
  9. shrink

K-Bear

I highly recommend the Audiolab 8000CDM.

Superb build and performance.

K-Bear, Jun 22, 2007
Ask a Question