Transports

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Jonny Kyte, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Jonny Kyte

Jonny Kyte

Evening,

I've recently decided to go down the superDAC route (an upgrade from an Arcam CD72 T). I've also purchased a cheap pioneer 7700 to use as a transport. The imaging from this seems a lot better that when I'm using the CD72 but it also seems to lose a fair bit of detail in the music.

I'm hoping to sell the Arcam for approx £200 freeing up the cash for a transport. I've seen a Teac player for approx £200 and a T1 for nearer £300. I was wondering if anyone has experience with these as transports. And what I should be looking out for in terms of models and prices.

The only other option I could think of would be something like the Monarcy audio upsampler.

Would anyone be able to offer any advice here or point me in the right direction for a £200 transport?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2005
    Jonny Kyte, Apr 16, 2005
  2. Jonny Kyte

zanash

The Arcam is actually a very good transport.....I think its the same one that they use in the upgraded 192. Anyway a mate had a 72 that we used as a transport with the dac section of my Quad 99cdp....and very good it sounded though not quite up to the 99 on its own. I'd look to keep the 72 and get a nos dac or similar low priced unit. You realy need to spend more on the transport than the dac. Its like the old adage states Rubish in rubish out, if you arn't getting the bitsof the disc you can't recover them further down the chain.

zanash, Apr 17, 2005
  3. Jonny Kyte

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I got my CD16 for £300. Even stock it was a better transport than my clocked rotel 991.

I-S, Apr 17, 2005
  4. Jonny Kyte

huuge

T1 ok

I've used one for years first with a dacinthebox and now with MF A3dac24(better than the chord 64) and it sounds fine and dandy
    I imagine clocking would improve it but I don't feel the need at present

huuge, Apr 17, 2005
  5. Jonny Kyte

Jonny Kyte

Thanks for the replies. They're definately give me something to think about but haven't made my decision any easier :)

If the Arcam did the imaging thing a little better, I'd have kept it. Moving to the 10year + Pioneer actually improved the imaging and got me wondering what improvements could be had with upgrading the transport.

Is that an upgrade or downgrade from the CD17? Ive spooted a couple of CD17's but both were over £300!

I'm not in a rush at the moment so I suppose I'm just looking/hoping for a bargain to come along. I'm still struggling to work out what make a good transport good though. if anyone can send some pointers my way, they'd be greatly appreciated. :)

Jonny Kyte, Apr 18, 2005
  6. Jonny Kyte

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

CD16 was the model up from the CD17 when the CD17 came out. The CD17 used the same CDM12.4 mech that the CD63 did (and later the mkII used the VAM1201 as in the CD4000/5000/6000), whereas the 16 used the more expensive die-cast CDM4PRO. The 16 has a huge copper-plated chassis with a thick copper plate in the base, and is around 13kg stock... it's a hefty piece of work (mine has had digital output board and power supplies and damping added to it so is more like 15-16kg).

I-S, Apr 18, 2005
  7. Jonny Kyte

RSC

I doubt you will get a worthwhile transport for £200, to be honest. The older ones will have a finite lifespan, the newer ones will not be much better than your Arcam, IMHO.

RSC, Apr 18, 2005
  8. Jonny Kyte

ditton happy old soul

Meridian 200, or 602? good s/h prices, and some will have been re-clocked. There are even re-clockers.

ditton, Apr 19, 2005
  9. Jonny Kyte

Philip King Enlightened User

shameless plug for my Wadia 3200 transport ;-) pm for details

Philip King, Apr 19, 2005
  10. Jonny Kyte

Mr Perceptive

To follow up on Ditton, I recently sold a Meridian 200 Transport with Trichord Clock mod for £225. This unit had a new laser mechanism fitted by Meridian 18 months ago. One of the great transports and nearly in budget. If you look hard enough you will find one. It may be easier to buy a 200/203 combo and sell on the 203 on ePay though.

Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive, Apr 19, 2005
Ask a Question