Trichord Clock 4

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by scott_01, Sep 3, 2005.

1. scott_01

scott_01

Hi evryone, this is my first post. I have had a good look around the forums and everyone seems to be pretty helpful, so here goes...

I am planning to re - clock a recently aquired Pioneer PDS 505 with the Trichord Clock 4 and a 'Never - Connected' PSU. Does anyone know how much Trichord Charge for fitting? I have e-mailed them but they have not replied.

Alternatively would anyone on this forum be able to guide me on how to fit them if I provide some pictures of the innards of the player.

Thanks

scott_01, Sep 3, 2005
  2. scott_01

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Graham isn't too hot on answering emails, but he's a fairly busy man...

Clocking a Pioneer stable platter is a pretty good way to getting a solid transport.

If you're not confident with a soldering iron it's best to get someone else to fit the clock. If trichord can't do so then there's a fair few people here who have the skills to do it. If you are a dab hand at soldering then by all means post some pictures and people will give you a hand.

Whereabouts are you based?

I-S, Sep 3, 2005
  3. scott_01

scott_01

I am reasonably confident with the Soldering Iron , but not so sure where to point it.

I am based in Dorset

scott_01, Sep 4, 2005
  4. scott_01

Will The Lucky One

Have a word with Colin @ CPT Acoustics in Ludlow - he's the guy Trichord recommend/send you the to to fit their mods, though many others are perfectly capable of doing so. He also does a few mods of his own, clocks of his own designs, plus things like super regs as well.

I went to Colins in January when I thought my trichord powerblock was faulty, and he took a look at it for me...he did so free of charge, inviting me into his own home where he works and letting me have a listen to his own setup (heavily modded source/amp and ATC SCM12s) whilst he had a look at the powerblock. Generally seemed a nice bloke and one who I'd have no qualms with dealing with again :)

Will, Sep 4, 2005
  5. scott_01

STELLABAGPUSS Happy Chappy

I will 2nd what "Will" has recommended, Colin of CPT is a really nice bloke,although I've only chatted on the phone, he certainly knows what he is on about. You will also make a big saving if you purchase the clock4 & NC Supply direct from CPT rather than Trichcord, as I believe he dosen't charge for fitting, you just have to cover the carridge charge both ways

I used to have the same Pioneer Precision CD Player,but I had mine was modified further by "Tom Evans" to around the £800 -£1000 RRP . AIthough I was pretty happy, I sold it on in the end,know doubt a Clock 4 & NCS will push the performance further.As far as I remember the improvement on mine were made on the "Audio Out section",although I could be wrong. My main reason for selling the Pioneer was I felt the DAC "Legarto Link" in the CD Player sounded a little dated in terms of digging low level resolution, this is why I went the DAC route. Of course,if I had fitted the mods you are planning,who no's my mind may have been changed.One things for sure,the Pioneer is a excellent Transport,I half wish I kept mine!
    Let us know how you get on, as it's great to hear other peoples views after they had equipment modded.

STELLABAGPUSS, Sep 4, 2005
  6. scott_01

scott_01

I will let you know what I think.

I have a bit of moving to do before I get organised enough to sit down and actually carry out my plans.

One of the reasons I wanted to get the clock modded is because I also have an M - Audio Superdac, which apparently benefits hugely from a stable clock source. It'll be interesting to see if the DAC sounds better when the player is clocked.

Further questions from me:

Has anyone tried the Trichord Digital output board?

Thanks everyone.

scott_01, Sep 4, 2005
  7. scott_01

STELLABAGPUSS Happy Chappy

Well Bob,you may have opened "Forum" can of worms, as the M Audio Superdac is great little DAC. You can make some hugh improvements on the cheap. "Bluemax" who is sometimes on the forum will point you in the right direction,as he runs his own forum on "Yahoo" about this DAC. I know that if you change the standard "Wall Wart" PSU for a Larger one,then there are great sonic improvements to be had, and there lots more you can do, again "Bluemax" is man for all the info.
    I owned a "Superdac" for around a month,and was impressed in it's standard,not bad sound for the money,I was using a Pioneer Dv 575A fitted with a Clocked 4 as a Transport, and in short "Yes" it is fussy with it's Signal. In the end I sold mine on and purchased a Musical Fidelity XDACV3, which cost nearly 4 times as much.If you enjoy the sound of your "Superdac" then it will simply sound a lot better with the trichord mods, and if you haven't already..look into changing the PSU on the "Superdac". Hopefully "Bluemax" will read this, and follow on.

STELLABAGPUSS, Sep 5, 2005
  8. scott_01

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I use a trichord DOB in a marantz CD16 with my modded SuperDAC. This compared to a Rotel RCD-991 (which is what I had before the CD16) at a bake-off both feeding into the DAC prompted some interesting comments from a room full of people who were sure that transports couldn't possibly make a difference.... :-D

I-S, Sep 5, 2005
  9. scott_01

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Bob,

I'm going to send my Pioneer DV-565 to Chevin Audio for upgrading. He charges £150 for the works, as opposed to Trichord's £400. Seem like better value to me, though he doesn't use famous component brands like NC & trichord (obviously!).

Maybe they can do something with your 505?

http://www.chevinaudio.co.uk/html/upgrades.htm

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Sep 5, 2005
  10. scott_01

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I've yet to see ANYTHING perform as well as an N/C, just my 2p worth.
    However weigh up the cost of purchase against what you feel you will get.
    Wm

wadia-miester, Sep 5, 2005
Ask a Question