Trichord or not?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tackleberry, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Tackleberry

Thinking of upgrading myMF a3.2 cd with a trichord clock and psu, would it make more sense to get a dac? or even a different player? help!

Tackleberry, Feb 10, 2010
  2. Tackleberry

RobHolt Moderator

Get a dac and stream music from your pc or mac.

Good entry level dacs start with the Musical Fidelity V-Dac at £130 for superb sound and plenty of inputs.

If you really want to put a new clock in the 3.2 I'd contact ZG user 'felix' (Martin) and ask if the PFM Flea will be made available again.

RobHolt, Feb 10, 2010
  3. Tackleberry

felix part-time Horta

- And even if it was, the difference such things make is relatively small ;)

If you like what your MF combo does, a clock might be for you.
    If you really like what it does, the money might be better saved against keeping it going rather than fiddling with what you have.

In (my , admittedly rather limited) experience MF stuff is often nice designs compromised in practise by using really cheap components. In that context, setting-aside the £100 or so a 'new clock' would require might be better invested to re-cap something you still like after 5-7+years. Your call, of course.

felix, Feb 10, 2010
  4. Tackleberry

zanash

I'll second both those vviews .....

the future is with streamed music ...but you may need to keep your cdp to play older discs or second hand purchase ..before transfereto the streaming media

zanash, Feb 11, 2010
  5. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Tackleberry

re

thanks, with having quite an extensive cd collection, was wanting to stay with the cd thing. does anyone have any knowledge of the trichord stuff? am i likely to benefit from it, or again, change cdp or add a dac?

Tackleberry, Feb 11, 2010
  6. Tackleberry

Hamilton

Don't directly know about Trichord clocks but for what it's worth I had Colin at Chevin Audio (think he's trading under a different name now) put a Tentlabs clock in my Pioneer PDS703 and it made quite a significant difference. That was using it as a transport - bass was firmer and more prominent, treble was cleaner and more real, general foot-tappy-ness seemed sifnificantly enhanced. All to the point where the Monarchy DIP that used to sit between tranny and dac became redundant - previously it had cleaned things up and smoothed them out a bit, after fitting the new clock it seemed to be holding things back. Having said that I suspect a dac may add more per pound spent, but I'm not familiar with the kit you've got. I guess what you really need is someone who's actually put a Trichord clock in a CDP like yours...

Also, for what it's worth, I've been ripping my extensive CD collection to HD since a couple of weeks before Xmas - just got past half way yesterday, and despite the ball-aching nature of the task, have no regrets. Sound via M2Tech Hiface USB-SPDIF (big thanks to Nick, Purite Audio) into my dac is better than any transport I've been able to afford.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2010
    Hamilton, Feb 11, 2010
  7. Tackleberry

zanash

the mf gear have very cheap /low quality components ...imo

in all the mf units I've upgrade the quality of the components ...they have always sound substantially better...that said I've not had my hands on your model ..

I'll also say it took ages to rip my music to hd about 800gig in the end ....not regreted it for a minute either

zanash, Feb 11, 2010
  8. Tackleberry

muzzer

muzzer, Feb 11, 2010
  9. Tackleberry

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

He clocked, added local regs for clock, analogue and digital side of dac chips, decoupled, and rebuilt the output stage of mine as Class A.

Worthwhile as a package.

sq225917, Feb 12, 2010
  10. Tackleberry

STELLABAGPUSS Happy Chappy

I've always use trichcord clocks, my first was a Clock 2 on a Philips CD 950,in this instance I purchased the CDP as a transport added the clock to run through a Audio Alchemy DAC in Box, IMO their was quite a lift in the performance,even through the DAC wasn't amazing.

I've had a Clock fitted int oa SONY CDP930, again very good. I then used the SONY CDP as a transport to run through a Musical Fidelity XDAC V3,again to great effect,however I can echo other members thought on MF products, it was only when I had some mods done by Zanash that my MF XDACV3 really sang,infact I'm using the same setup, as nothing has really turned my head in terms of VFM.
    I finally settled for a Meridian 500 MK2 transport,with a clock 4 and a NCS.Even in it's standard format the 500 is a good transport,but once I added the trichcord stuff,an big improvement could be heard, and once the NCS had run in "Took about 7 months,as I don't leave my units on" the sound improve again.

If it was my money,and this is only an opinion, I would have a look at the quality on the caps etc first in the MF,then think about trichords mods later. Techically most of all MF products have great technical measurements in reviews eg jitter,S/N ratio etc, so I'd imagine, that like most MF stuff,there's plenty more to offer.

STELLABAGPUSS, Feb 12, 2010
Ask a Question