triode and pentode valve amps

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by kkais, Sep 13, 2008.

1. kkais

kkais

I have a newish Arcam amp feeding a Leak Stereo 20.
    I'm thinking of getting a second amp, trioding it and using it for the treble, leaving the other as it is for the bass.
    (Someone told me this was a cool thing to do).

Anyone heard something like that? Is is recommendable?
    How would I interconnect a pre and two Leaks?

Thanks!

Michael

kkais, Sep 13, 2008
  2. kkais

Dev Moderator

Should be simple enough if you have/buy a preamp with 2 outputs, but I personally wouldn't use a Leak to drive the bass. I'd suggest using a Leak for treble but a SS amp such as a Crown K1/K2 for bass. The Crown has volume control for each channel so matching the treble and bass outputs should be OK.

Dev, Sep 13, 2008
  3. kkais

technobear Ursine Audiophile

The two power amps would have to have the same gain (or you would need some way of balancing the signal to each) so that the bass and treble come out at the right level for each other.

technobear, Sep 13, 2008
  4. kkais

D Louth 77

IMHO this will not work. If the amps are the same by all means bi-amp but to run different types of valve amp for treble and bass will result in a mess. I have tried this with two amps(i was bored) from the same company (same body work etc)but using different valves and slightly different power . It was obvious within minutes that the sound was wrong.

If your speakers are sensative enough then by all means triode the leaks but if not leave them alone as they were made.Also take into account that Leak amps are fussy about the partnering pre-amp (gain,sensitivity,etc).

Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Sep 14, 2008
  5. kkais

kkais

Hi,

Yes, I was thinking of a second Leak with the same valves...
    I think it sounds great with the Arcam as a preamp... I wasn't much impressed by the passive pres I tried, which allowed the Leak to wash its underwear in public a little too much...
    My speakers are sensitive... I'll triode and see how it sounds.
    Thanks,

Michael

kkais, Sep 14, 2008
  6. kkais

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

As Dev says, you need a volume control on the bass amp (at least) so that you can level-match.

bottleneck, Sep 14, 2008
Ask a Question