TT bits and pieces

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by T-bone Sanchez, May 17, 2005.

1. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

There seems to be alot of 'gadgets' for setting up a TT so I need some guidance on what I actually need. So, what should I be getting for the TT tweakers tool box??

T-bone Sanchez, May 17, 2005
  2. T-bone Sanchez

sideshowbob Trisha

A tracking force gauge (a Shure will do) and a two-point alignment protractor are all you need. An antistatic brush is handy for dusting records, and a small spirit level for checking the platter's level. I certainly wouldn't bother with a test record, for example. I've never felt the need to use one.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, May 17, 2005
  3. T-bone Sanchez

Sid and Coke

You can make a very effective 'VTF guage' very easily for checking that your tone arm is parallel to the surface of an 'aveage' record.

Here's how:

1) Open up a new MS Excell or Works spreadsheet ( i'm not familiar with any other Spreadsheets hence MS which will be the most well known)
    2) Adjust the Row height of your Spreadsheet so that when printed they are about 2 - 4mm high.
    3) Highlight cels in column A - G inc and Rows 1 -30 inc
    4) formant the cells to give each one a thin lined border
    5) Print off your small grid onto thick glossy photo paper at Hi res.
    6) make a very accurate crease donwn the line between columns A/B and F/G to make 'fold back' wings so that the card will stand up,( you may need to very carefully trim alittle wedge off the bottoms of these wings o that the card 'angles back' ever so slightly, or you could simply make the spread shhet longer by adding another 20-30 rows and folding horizontaly.
    7) This guage will not give you absolute pin point accuracy for every single record you play as they will all have different thicknesses , however it will get you very much in the ballpark for your average record.
    8) Be carefull when setting up though, your cartridges VTF will need to be already set and you will need to rest the needle onto a record.
    Here's a piccy:
    Sids VTF gauge in use

Sideshowbob says not to bother with a Test record. Whilst I'll agree that they are not absolutely neccessary and do not re-create the playing of a real music record, they can be quite usefull little tools for setting up Bias , etc , even if you then fine tune by ear. FWIW, i set my tonearm up for bias using a test record and find that it plays 'music' records brilliantly without the need for further tinkering and meddling after doing so.

HTH.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2005
    Sid and Coke, May 17, 2005
  4. T-bone Sanchez

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Love the VTA gauge Sid. Now can you do all us lazy sods a favour and just post the spreadsheet :D

Uncle Ants, May 17, 2005
  5. T-bone Sanchez

Sid and Coke

I've tried to upload it to my webspace but am struggling a little, it doesn't seem to like it. I can e-mail it to somebody though who can post it up somewhere...

6. T-bone Sanchez

Joe

A very small screwdriver and a set of Allen keys might also come in handy, plus some Valium if setting up an expensive catridge with no stylus guard.

Joe, May 17, 2005
  7. T-bone Sanchez

Sid and Coke

Further to Joes comments, investing in a set of stainless steel hex head bolts with nuts and washers might be a good investment too. I picked up a set for just a few quid from here and can highly recommned the seller: E-Bay link to silvercathifi
    Goldring do a great little flat steel 5mm spanner for holding cart nuts. I f ind that using an allen key is so much easier than a straight (slotted) screwdriver.
    Also, you don't have to overtighten the bolts just because you have the means to do so.

8. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Thanks guys. Ive just had a quick go at your VTA gauge, I can see how it works. Loads of small screwdrivers, allen keys, helping hands etc. Valium; bit short of. I'll have a look round ebay for the protractor etc.

T-bone Sanchez, May 17, 2005
  9. T-bone Sanchez

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

hi

I bought my sure gauge from origin live about 2 years ago (about seven quid?). They chucked the protractor in FOC which was nice of them. Might be worth a try.

Chris

bottleneck, May 17, 2005
  10. T-bone Sanchez

Anex Thermionic

Sid: If its the .xls format (I've had problems with them before as some email servers I've used just reject them presumably cuz of macro viruses or something?! seems pretty daft solution though, are they going to ban all .exe too?) you could just knock the .xls off then tell people to edit the filename when they've got it to include xls again.
    I agree with you on test records, I bias with one.

I got a polaris protractor from Walrus when I bought my tonearm a few months ago. Seems really really good, far more accurate than the 4 I was using before (Sure, Heybrook, Rega and something or other else) which is reflected in the setup time and the resulting sound.

Anex, May 17, 2005
  11. T-bone Sanchez

jonjin

I'd second the request for the VTF gauge :)
    Can put it on my website as well.

JJ

jonjin, May 17, 2005
  12. T-bone Sanchez

Sid and Coke

Sorry but I've given up trying to put it up, I can't imagine why it won't work, the file is only 7.73 kb. It really isn't very hard to make your own , however if anybody e-mails me I can reply with it as an attachment. I use fully updated Norton AV 2005 so very low risk.

BTW, another good alignment guage and a freeby off the web is one made by a guy called Mike Novak ( Hyperlink ). Not only does this guage have very clear lines using the well regarded Baerwald alignment ponts, but it also has a sight line so you can align the grids with your tonearms vertical pivot point ( Hmmm.. or is that Horizontal point :confused: ) anyway , first you align the guage with your arm , then you align the cartridge with the guage- neat and accurate ! The only trouble being that you need to cut your own spindle holes, I cut 7mm square ones as they are easier to do accurately with a scalpel but still a snug fit, opened out pin holes can go astray much easier...

Oh yeah,
    whilst I remember; another great little tool or tools are some platter wedges to keep everything still whilst you are doing this stuff, especially if your deck is a bouncer like mine. Shure very thoughtfully include a pair with their cartrdiges & tone arm kits, they would be very easy to make your own though from some rubber foam or matting, much better than bits of tape...

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2005
  13. T-bone Sanchez

jonjin

Thanks Sid. For those interested I've put the .xls file on my webpage.

JJ

jonjin, May 18, 2005
Ask a Question