TT dilemma

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by madscientist, Feb 8, 2008.

1. madscientist

madscientist

Hi Guys

Now I have gone and done it!! On a whim I have listened to a Linn LP12 through an all Linn system (nice and detailed but lacking in oomph) and also a Michell Gyro (thanks Ray) which I liked a lot. I currently run a Rega P3 with a denon DL110 with a Heed Orbit through Exposure super Xv and Epos ES14 speakers which now sounds rather lacking. Now I have the bug to change the TT, but with only >£500 to spend this puts me in a quandary, there is so much choice I don't know here to start. Should I save my money and look at the higher end TT like the Michell, NAS etc in the future OR Look at tweaking the rega OR try to get a good secondhand TT? What would you do? Somewhat perplexed …paul

madscientist, Feb 8, 2008
  2. madscientist

la toilette Downright stupid

I'm no turntable expert but have just changed from an LP12 to a Garrard 401 in my own high mass plinth and it's real 'bloody hell :eek:' sort of difference. Gone is the smooth but (for me) uninvolving delivery of the Linn and in comes power, immediacy, dynamism, excitement.

Now this isn't the whole story entirely as I also have a radical change of arm and cartrdge etc, and my LP12 was an early completely original unmodified one, but maybe a direct drive deck might be an option if you want some oomph?

la toilette, Feb 8, 2008
  3. madscientist

Snoo

Modded 2nd hand SL1200 perhaps?

Snoo, Feb 8, 2008
  4. madscientist

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

TBH, unless you are prepared to go for something s/h (and even then...), you'll be pushed to find a significant improvement on the P3 for much under £500. They are very good for the money. Also, I wouldn't bother tweaking the Rega - assuming you've got it well sited. Various Technics decks have their fans on here but you'd need to consider a plinth - there are bargains to be had but anything requiring modding carries some risk.

What I did was canibalised my P3 for the arm and watched ebay like a hawk until a Gyro came up for a price I was prepared to pay. I picked up a 2004 SE model with the full Orbe upgrade kit and VC power supply for less than £800, so a 'standard' model may well be achievable for £5-600 if you have a lucky day. Dont fall victim to upgradeitis - better to aim for what you want!

johnfromnorwich, Feb 8, 2008
Ask a Question