TT dilemna!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by leonard smalls, Jul 28, 2003.

1. leonard smalls

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

G'day chaps, new forum, same old problem...
    My tt has been sounding duff recently - I've set the arm up very carefully, checked the tracking weight with my new Shure balance, checked angles etc. and have come to the conclusion that it must be the cartridge (with the slightly bent stylus..).
    So do I:
    a) send off for a re-tip on my Clearaudio Aurum Beta S - that's £155 against a new cost of £260ish.
    b) buy a new cartridge - in which case, which one and does anyone know who'll let me try one before I shell out big wedge? And has anyone any experience of using an EAR 834P deluxe with an MC cart?
    BTW TT is a Clearaudio Revolution, arm is an SME 3009/2 supported on 2" maple on a modified Target wallshelf M8 rawlbolted to a stone wall.. Amps are by Lumley, speakers Ditton 66/2s..

leonard smalls, Jul 28, 2003
  2. leonard smalls

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hiya

Me and Ian (sideshowbob) have both got EAR834P's. I bet some other folk do too.

Are you sure youre cart is knackered? - one shop I used to deal with checked them under a microscope to see what condition they were in...

Or maybe you could borrow a new Beta S (nice cart BTW!) from a shop and see if it sounds the same?

Just a couple of ideas....

Personally, I like your cart, so I'd get it checked and fix it if necessary and keep it if it were me... let us know how u get on? :)

Chris

bottleneck, Jul 28, 2003
  3. leonard smalls

sideshowbob Trisha

Leonard, good to see you again.

I use a low-output (.25mv) Dynavector with my EAR 834P signature and it sounds pretty fine to me.

Check out my Ortofon Kontrapunkt B thread on the new PFM forum at http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/ for some useful info about a source for Ortofon carts at good prices. I've just snagged a Rohmann at half price.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jul 28, 2003
  4. leonard smalls

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Cheers guys - might be tempted by reasonably priced Ortofons - my mum has to go to Stuttgart in a couple of weeks anyway so I'll get her to look in..
    And as for the Aurum Beta - the stylus is definitely bent... It sounds significantly worse than it used to (before the drunken punk 7"s night - I shall steer clear of the TT after absinthe). Still tempted by the re-tip as it sounded as good as the Transfiguration Spirit I demmed the TT with (at least to my humble ears, and with loud rock rather than some fey and wispy Diana Krall soundalike)

leonard smalls, Jul 28, 2003
  5. leonard smalls

dominicT former member

Leonard try those helpful chaps at Walrus in London, they have leant me a Dynavector to try out at home. Ask for Les and say that Dominic recommended you.

dominicT, Jul 29, 2003
  6. leonard smalls

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Absinthe's evil - the only good it can do is remove crap from the heads in your tape deck...

Nasty NASTY stuff - and I didn't even get to hallucinate on it - most disappointed...

domfjbrown, Jul 30, 2003
Ask a Question