TT motor problems

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by harrygrey382, Dec 10, 2006.

1. harrygrey382

harrygrey382

Some of you may have seen the previous post I made about an Ariston Q deck. I've power it up and there are problems.
    The first is, in the forward direction the motor is lifeless. I'm using a 12v, 500mA, regulated power supply. Reversing the poles (found by accident) the motor rotates. But when the plinth and belt are installed the motor is too gutless to drive them.

Also, the plasic bearing cap that supports the spindle has snapped, so the spindle shoulder rests on the top of the bearing. Where can I get parts? (For motor testing I propped this up so the was no resistance on the shoulder).

So, does this indicate a blown motor, some other fault, PSU problem (it's brand new)? And how should I go about fixing it?
    Thanks
    Harry

harrygrey382, Dec 10, 2006
  2. harrygrey382

harrygrey382

bump

3. harrygrey382

RobHolt Moderator

I notice you mention 'reversing the poles'.
    If you've had the PSU connected with reverse polarity you may well have fried some components inside the TT.
    Also, did the 12v supply come with the deck?
    If not you may need a 24v supply.

RobHolt, Dec 10, 2006
  4. harrygrey382

harrygrey382

OK, so I may have fried components by reversing polarity. But how do I find out, and which componets could they be? And also, surely if i'd burnt things out, it wouldn't be running in reverse?

And it didn't come with the adaptor, but recommended a 12v, 350mA PSU. Should I try 15v? But this wouldn't make it turn if it wasn't already surely?
    Thanks

5. harrygrey382

RobHolt Moderator

I can find no info on the deck so we really are proding in the dark here.

Is 12v, 350ma stated at the input socket on the deck?

The motor could still move if the electronics are damaged - they just wont perform as intended.

Some Aristons used 24v ac motors IIRC......
    Dig up some more info on it if possible.

RobHolt, Dec 11, 2006
  6. harrygrey382

harrygrey382

yeah it says 12v, 350mA, DC in the manual, and next to the input socket.
    So does this seem like I'm up for a new motor? Where do I start looking, considering I was looking for a cheap deck and got this for £17 (was meant to be working!)

harrygrey382, Dec 11, 2006
  7. harrygrey382

harrygrey382

ok, so on a whim I connected it to a laptop PSU. I set (it's variable) it to 15v. It has a max amps of 5A. The TT ran perfectly, much more beef to the motor.
    So clearly this was the problem. But why do I need a much beefier power supply than stated. Is it the extra volts or amps that is required? I'm going down to swap the PSU I bought originally, but for what. The laptop one is switchable, what does this mean? Doesn't say regulated anywhere. Do I go for a 15v 1A say?

harrygrey382, Dec 11, 2006
  8. harrygrey382

RobHolt Moderator

I'd say it's the ma rating that is too low. Go for a higher current 12v supply. The motor will present a reactive load to the supply, something which may strain the inbuilt regulator. 350ma is rather feeble for a motor - 1A should do nicely with a good reserve.

RobHolt, Dec 11, 2006
Ask a Question