Tube Amps Over Solid State...?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nando, Dec 12, 2007.

1. nando

rollo

Maybe its just me. When I play rock say Moody Blues or Jethro Tull on the Maggies it just does not do justice to the dynamics required to feel the power of the music. However when played through the Pipedreams its another ballgame.
    I prefer rock and large scale music with the Pipedreams and jazz and vocals through the Maggies.
    The pipedreams are driven by SET 211 amps and the Maggies by S/S go figure. Both use a tubed pre and source is tubed CDP and Linn TT.
    Just my experience. it appears to me that the music and speakers determine the amp choice. Just my opinion.

rollo

rollo, Dec 15, 2007
  2. nando

nando nando

some of the most famous guiterist always used tubes"valves" for their amplification, there must of being a reason why, i , when i used to work for island records in the 70's always used two types of amplication, ss as in amcrom "crown" and quad valves throgh tannoy monitors, both near field and open baffle stage monitors, though the amcrom's had that "so called welly" the valves where more of a pleasure to listen to, the issue that i find difficult to understand is when people say "OH THIS CAN NOT PLAY HOUSE, OR R&B ETC" the recordings of any type of music was and still is to how the engineer thinks it should be produced to the final stage,"most of them where far to stoned" to hear high frequencies and used either parametrics or graphics, hence some poor recordings came about,any system made good enough to a close sounding to the recordings that are made should be quite capleable of reproducing any type of music, otherwise we find ourselfs listenig to "hi-fi" besides music, i believe that no system is prejudice to music but the individual that preffers what sound that pleases him or her the most, sorry that's my view, right now i preffer valves,
    nando.

nando, Dec 15, 2007
  3. nando

lbr monkey boy

Most decent guitar amps do use valves, but that is because they are deliberately seeking out distortion and valves distort in a much nicer way that SS which tends to clip quite hard. Completely different ball game in hifi - I don't think anyone purposefully designs hifi amps to distort.

lbr, Dec 16, 2007
  4. nando

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi LBR

I think that's true for guitarists looking for a distorted tone from an overdriven valve amp.

However, many guitarists like the sound of a valve amp for clean settings. A Fender twin reverb springs to mind as an obvious example.

bottleneck, Dec 16, 2007
  5. nando

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Lavardin is a good compromise, plus transparency. I also like the Jadis, but they get too hot.

Rodrigo de Sá, Dec 16, 2007
  6. nando

Pure_Carbon Diamond Tipped.

I've recently gone valve and am loving them!
    They don't quite have the attack of solid state but certainly have everything else.
    I'm now using a pair of PrimaLuna Prologue 6 monoblocks , but a solid state pre (Dynavector L200) and a solid state phono stage (Whest 2.0 or something...) and I like this combo.

Pure_Carbon, Dec 18, 2007
  7. nando

Vinylnutter

I had a set of Audio Innovations series 1000 monos, they lasted 6 months then each in turn exploded and caught fire....ah the ineffiable magic of tubes:rolleyes:

Vinylnutter, Dec 18, 2007
  8. nando

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Surely it is horses for courses, if you have inefficient speakers , or speakers with a claimed sensitivity which are in fact inefficient, then surely a high current delivery amp would really get the best from the speakers.
    Personally my speakers are pretty efficient and switching to valves gave the sound a life and realism that I had never experienced with solid state.

Purite Audio, Dec 18, 2007
  9. nando

shonamh

This is me... if you count my new Fatman iTube... I know it's not really hi-fi (though I'm loving it!) but I seem to be listening less and less to CDs etc on my ageing separates system, so when I saw it...

I grew up with my dad's Williams (I'm sure that's what it was called) amplifier that he built himself in a massive cabinet to go with massive home made speakers.

I think some of it must be genetic - I think he'd be proud of my iTube is a small way...!

Be nice to me, I'm only new.
    :)

shonamh, Feb 12, 2008
  10. nando

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I've had ''flames'' from valve amps before - once in front of a Zerogain audience!! - quite impressive.

I now think valve amps being simple in construction and preferably hard-wired makes a lot of sense for when the inevitable happens. Easy to spot the blown component, easy to replace it too.

A friend has ''protection circuits galore'' instead, and that seems a sensible alternative.

bottleneck, Feb 12, 2008
  11. nando

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Having messed around with passives, SS, valves I finally believe I know what works for me. It's valves for pre and solid state for power. Re phono - seem to prefer valve and transformer stepup combo. That's a definitely maybe.

larkrise, Feb 12, 2008
  12. nando

Dev Moderator

Are you sure about that or would you like to think about it and come back next week for a more definitive answer. A sort of definitive definite maybe:D.

Dev, Feb 12, 2008
  13. nando

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

No - have decided, that's it. Definitely defintely definite. :D

larkrise, Feb 12, 2008
  14. nando

thrudge

I would respectfully beg to differ :) I once tried a a Rogue Audio valve pre-power, and it had amazing speed, slam, and bass weight. Tight, as well. Headbanging? I was playing Motorhead, AC/DC, and Marilyn Manson. I doubt those that bangeth head would react with anything less than a big grin to the sound I was getting. Chemical Brothers sounded awesome, too.

My own preference is for valves, and of the four valve amps I've tried in my system, I'd broadly agree with you; but the Rogues produced a, er....'rogue' result. If it wasn't for the intrusive hiss they produced through my mega-sensitive speakers, I'd have kept them. (I'd probably have had an eviction notice and a Motorheadache by now, though...)

So, maybe it's more to do with implementation than valve technology per se?

thrudge, Feb 13, 2008
  15. nando

Dev Moderator

I have a Rogue Stereo 90 power amp driving Tannoy D700, which I think are quite sensitive at 91db, if you believe the manufacturers figures. But I don't hear any hiss. I don't have a Rogue pre though.

Anyway I agree valves can produce slam and bass weight.

Dev, Feb 13, 2008
  16. nando

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Rogue Power amp here too - the 88. Very good VFM.

It's valves all the way for me - Phono, pre, power. Solid state just doesn't sound right at all. Tubes can be tonally off the pace too, but what I'm talking about is all the horrid audiophile cliches or vocals, air, space, timbre, tone etc.

Something that was brought home to me at the hifi shows I've been too. Tube systems sounded much better to my ears than SS systems.

HOWEVER,

There are definitely some SS amps I'd like to try, like Luxman, Ayre, Levinson and Krell. Purely out of curiosity.

Pathos make some very nice hybrids though. That DK Designs amp is a belter too!

Valves can be a pain in the neck, but I think the hassle is worth it.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Feb 13, 2008
  17. nando

rollo

I reads them. Love your input. Hope all is well.

rollo

rollo, Feb 13, 2008
  18. nando

rollo

Now is that Joe pass or Ted Nugent. All guitarists are not the same. I agree with your example.

rollo

rollo, Feb 13, 2008
  19. nando

Johnj

I use an SAC KT88 Glowmaster and it really rocks even better than my 200w power amp (solid state) I used to own

Johnj, Feb 13, 2008
  20. nando

Dev Moderator

Hi John,

I remember comparing a 10WPC Leak Stereo 20 and against a 200WPC SS and preferring the Leak. I still hate Ian (Sideshowbob) for that:D.

Dev, Feb 13, 2008
Ask a Question