tube pre-amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sanj, May 9, 2004.

1. sanj

sanj follow the tao

I've been thinking lately that a tube based pre-amp could take me in the right direction towards a more relaxed sound, though still using it with a solid state amp - a good idea?

The only thing I know about tubes is when I was a kid in the 70s and used to open up the back of the gramaphone and be fascinated with the lights :D

So, a couple of newbie-tubey questions:

- what do I need to know in terms of matching it with my amp, such as impedence, gain etc?? (My caspian int. amp has a separated pre & pwr, conencted with interlinks)

- any recommendations on tube pre-amps to get hold of, that ain't huge or difficult to maintain, available in the uk, and around £400 s/h

thanks for your help
    sanj

sanj, May 9, 2004
  2. sanj

sideshowbob Trisha

EAR 834L is good, and should be easily available in your budget in the standard black finish. Will work with most things, extremely reliable, doesn't use expensive valves, so cheap to maintain. No remote, something you'll have to get used to with most valve preamps.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, May 10, 2004
  3. sanj

Lt Cdr Data om

834l is the most untube tube preamp in terms of colour I have heard to date. superb.

Lt Cdr Data, May 10, 2004
  4. sanj

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

As well as the EAR pre amp, look out for the Croft range of pre amps. These are class items. You can buy a new Vitale for £400. You can get older Croft micros & super micros for fair money. The big downside of these pre amps is the fact that they have dual mono volume controls. The older crofts look home made.

Also look out for the Audio Innovations L1 & L2 which can be had for under £400.

Most of these pre amps ( & others) use valves that are easy to get hold of. They contain buffer/line driver stages which allow for use with a wide range of power amps.

SCIDB

SCIDB, May 10, 2004
  5. sanj

blakeaudio

i've mentioned it before on a previous thread, but the Eastern Electric Minimax is a real giant slayer, and can be had from the distributor on germany for about 450, and he'll even through in a spare set of tubes to allow you to try out some tube rolling! it really is a fantastic little pre, with exceptional sound and build at this price. www.eeaudio.com

and i should mention that it retails in the uk for about 800, so a great saving!

blakeaudio, May 10, 2004
  6. sanj

Lt Cdr Data om

there is another one, the bottlehead seduction, its dirt cheap from the states, I only know of one person who has the matching phono stage, and says its superb.

check out...

http://www.vacuumtube.org.uk/

Lt Cdr Data, May 10, 2004
  7. sanj

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

WM, the GG is a cracker isn't it. Their OTL amp is fantastic as well.

Sanj, if I was you I would go with a TVC (transformer volume control) passive if you can get away with out the need to amplify things into your power amp. Just ask Michael what he thinks (he did a review IIRC)

Both Bent Audio and DIYHiFiSupply do them and the latest ones are really very good. Also DIYHiFiSupply do a valve kit similar to the EE minimax at about £350 all in.

LiloLee, May 10, 2004
  8. sanj

michaelab desafinado

Here's my review. I was going to suggest the same thing. Awesome little preamp. There are several others that use the same Stevens & Billington TX102 transformers, some are quite a bit cheaper than the BentAudio one (there are some links in the review thread).

I certainly don't need amplification - even with a passive pre I've got too much gain in my system at the moment :eek: . The TX102 transformers can provide upto 6db of gain incidentally. It's an option on the BentAudio one but I passed on that.

Michael.

michaelab, May 10, 2004
  9. sanj

Apparently they sound worse with the 6dB gain option wired in.

LiloLee, May 10, 2004
  10. sanj

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

The Django transformer pre amp looks like my next project. I hope to get one within the next week or so.

SCIDB

SCIDB, May 10, 2004
  11. sanj

michaelab desafinado

Good job I didn't go for it then - I certainly don't need it!

Michael.

michaelab, May 10, 2004
  12. sanj

Apparently S&B wont sell direct and tell you to buy from Bent or DIYHiFiSupply. Go figure :confused:

LiloLee, May 10, 2004
  13. sanj

lowrider Live music is surround

Hi Michael,

How is your power going, when can we listen to it... :confused:

lowrider, May 10, 2004
  14. sanj

SCIDB Moderator

Hi

Interesting. I emailed S&B with regards to prices of the transformers & MC transformers. I asked if sales were dealt through themselves or an agent. I got an email back from Jonathan Billington just giving me the cost. He didn't say they did or didn't sell direct. Or did he say who the agents are.

For the transformers used in the passive the price is £135 +VAT.

The step up transformers are the same price.

Bent audio are doing them for $200 (approx £117)

SCIDB

SCIDB, May 10, 2004
  15. sanj

michaelab desafinado

See this thread. It's finished and sounding very nice indeed. Probably needs running in, if you believe in that sort of thing ;) . Black Gate caps aparently do need running in but you're welcome to come round and have a listen.

Michael.

michaelab, May 10, 2004
  16. sanj

penance Arrogant Cock

Grounded grid sure looks interesting:rds2:

penance, May 10, 2004
  17. sanj

adam

If you wanted to look at second hand kit for about £400 you could try the Conrad Johnson PV10L,they are about £1200 new,they are very fussy about the valves you uses in them,and I found seem to hiss with most except phillips,even better would be the PV10A which includes a very good phono stage.

adam, May 10, 2004
  18. sanj

Well done Dean, good follow up.

Amazing how they will cost the same from Bent after tax etc as direct even though they've been across the Altlantic and back. Rip off Britain again eh?

LiloLee, May 10, 2004
  19. sanj

michaelab desafinado

I'd be surprised if John Chapman at Bent Audio doesn't get them from S&B at a considerable discount since he orders so many. The ones that BentAudio use are made specially for them using (allegedly) better quality wire.

Michael.

michaelab, May 10, 2004
  20. sanj

But we all know that wire doesn't make a difference (ouch get off Michael, I was only joking)

LiloLee, May 10, 2004
Ask a Question